Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

19 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Thanks Edo,

Hope you are well.

Sorry should have been Kyiv, not Kiev,  Can't get use to writing Kyiv?

Chuck

Hope you and your daughter are well on the mend.

Ukraine and Covid, two disasters in quick succession. I wonder what the monster would be doing if he was still in charge on your side of the pond. Sending aid to Moscow probably.

Does that get me a red card for getting political?

Edited by Dave Richards
Changed text
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

One doctor down, one to go. Had an ultrasound to rule out a hernia re groin pain, negative. But did get a suggestion for dry needling at my PT place to see if that helps, and a script for an anti-inflammatory salve to rub on. Hope it all helps. I feel a bit more optimistic.

• Love 1

Today, I walked down 14 carpeted steps using hand rails to my basement and back up. Twice. I paid for it later, but that doesn’t change the fact that I DID it! I managed to eat more yesterday and today, so maybe I halted the steady weight loss. I think the food and protein gave me the strength to do the stairs.

And after 4 days of sub freezing temps, it warmed up in the 40s. I see a few high 60s or low 70s coming, so happy!

• Love 4
  • Like 1

You're getting there Betty, stay strong !

It appears that we may be moving into a period of calmer weather after the gales and persistently strong winds of late. I've pencilled in Tuesday as the first opportunity to fix our allotment greenhouse. You can't be dealing with large polycarbonate panels when the wind is blowing. I intend to glue them in place,  use glazing tape, a strengthening rib and conventional metal clips, - which will be held in place with mastic. Belt and braces, but will it be enough to resist 50+ mph winds? I guess all you can do is to strengthen the structure, so reducing the probability of damage. If the weather gods decide to flatten it, that's what will happen !

Another good thing, our house extension is almost complete, it's weathertight, the floor is in, and the walls plastered. We've been asked by the builders to paint behind where the radiator is to go once the plaster dries. They still have to skim the ceiling of our old dining room, but after that the work is largely cosmetic and we'll do it. Hopefully the thin film of dust that has been covering all of the ground floor will at last be vanquished, and life will return to normal.

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You're getting there Betty, stay strong !

It appears that we may be moving into a period of calmer weather after the gales and persistently strong winds of late. I've pencilled in Tuesday as the first opportunity to fix our allotment greenhouse. You can't be dealing with large polycarbonate panels when the wind is blowing. I intend to glue them in place,  use glazing tape, a strengthening rib and conventional metal clips, - which will be held in place with mastic. Belt and braces, but will it be enough to resist 50+ mph winds? I guess all you can do is to strengthen the structure, so reducing the probability of damage. If the weather gods decide to flatten it, that's what will happen !

Another good thing, our house extension is almost complete, it's weathertight, the floor is in, and the walls plastered. We've been asked by the builders to paint behind where the radiator is to go once the plaster dries. They still have to skim the ceiling of our old dining room, but after that the work is largely cosmetic and we'll do it. Hopefully the thin film of dust that has been covering all of the ground floor will at last be vanquished, and life will return to normal. 

You are never idle, Bryan, or afraid to get down and dirty working with your hands. I admire that.  It’s how I’ve always aspired to do within feminine limitations. Although I didn’t stay within those boundaries as much as I should have, and that’s had a hand in what’s happened to my body. 
I have first hand knowledge of how much dust happens with builds/remodeling. I went through extensive remodeling nearly 4 years ago that took place in 4 rooms. I could wash my hair one day and by the end of the next it was so full of stuff that settled from the air that it felt like straw. I should have worn a sack with eye holes over my head. 😁

It lasted 3 1/2 months before done, although the last few weeks most of the dust-causing chores were over before I went completely 😵💫.

Thanks for the encouragement, Bryan. I can’t seem to find a balance between exercise and rest…I don’t see the line between just right and what ends up causing extreme pain. It’s the groin pull pain that is killing me not so softly. Trying to get in bed each night without setting it off is like choosing torture on purpose, because the attempt sets it off every time.  It never works out well. 

Enough whining on my part.  I wish I could see your finished room addition and greenhouse when fixed.

Spring is coming and right now, I hope I can plant tomatoes again when the time comes. This year, I’d like to plant green bell peppers in one of my pots. 

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You are never idle, Bryan, or afraid to get down and dirty working with your hands. I admire that.  It’s how I’ve always aspired to do within feminine limitations. Although I didn’t stay within those boundaries as much as I should have, and that’s had a hand in what’s happened to my body. 
I have first hand knowledge of how much dust happens with builds/remodeling. I went through extensive remodeling nearly 4 years ago that took place in 4 rooms. I could wash my hair one day and by the end of the next it was so full of stuff that settled from the air that it felt like straw. I should have worn a sack with eye holes over my head. 😁

It lasted 3 1/2 months before done, although the last few weeks most of the dust-causing chores were over before I went completely 😵💫.

Thanks for the encouragement, Bryan. I can’t seem to find a balance between exercise and rest…I don’t see the line between just right and what ends up causing extreme pain. It’s the groin pull pain that is killing me not so softly. Trying to get in bed each night without setting it off is like choosing torture on purpose, because the attempt sets it off every time.  It never works out well. 

Enough whining on my part.  I wish I could see your finished room addition and greenhouse when fixed.

Spring is coming and right now, I hope I can plant tomatoes again when the time comes. This year, I’d like to plant green bell peppers in one of my pots. 

Sorry to hear about your lingering pain. After I had my hip replacement, they gave me a lasso-like affair that I could use to lift my leg and then swivel myself into bed. Perhaps you have something similar.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to hear about your lingering pain. After I had my hip replacement, they gave me a lasso-like affair that I could use to lift my leg and then swivel myself into bed. Perhaps you have something similar.

No, nothing like that.
As of right now, my surgeon, who I see this coming Wednesday, doesn’t even know about my groin pain. I’ve not seen him face to face since just before surgery. My Physical Therapist said she’s had a few people who’ve actually been injured while being transferred to the surgery table, or some limb was left in an uncomfortable tight spot that caused lingering after-pain.
I was asleep when they took me to surgery.  Somehow I had to be transferred from the gurney, then turned on my stomach to expose my back. If someone weren’t careful, one leg could have fallen off whichever gurney/bed briefly during the maneuver and been in a position that injured ligaments. After all, that was a limp limb.

This is my imagination going wild, John.

But I do plan on grabbing my surgeon by the throat, lifting him off the floor and asking, “Did you hurt me? Huh? Huh?” 🤣

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

After my hip replacement I wasn't given one, but borrowed one from a friend who earlier had both hips replaced. It made an amazing difference to getting into bed. The device reminded me of a dog collar and lead, but was fairly rigid. Hoping Betty gets the right attention re her groin pain.

7 hours ago, sb photos said:

After my hip replacement I wasn't given one, but borrowed one from a friend who earlier had both hips replaced. It made an amazing difference to getting into bed. The device reminded me of a dog collar and lead, but was fairly rigid. Hoping Betty gets the right attention re her groin pain.

My family doctor that I saw Friday recommended an over the counter ointment in a tube. It is an anti-inflammatory cream that also is very expensive. I’ve used it 4 times already. Recommended dosage is rubbing it on 4 times a day, maybe taking a couple of days to notice results.

I actually got into bed without tears last night for the first time in a few weeks. Whether it was the cream or the fact I took my meds 2 hours before bedtime to get the full effect before retiring, I don’t know.

Whatever, it worked, so I’ll follow that formula again tonight.

It is 7:10 a.m. I watched the sunrise colors through my window awhile ago. I’ve had two cups of coffee, and for the moment, all’s right with my world.

May you all have a nice amount of sales drop in for more than peanuts on this last day of the month. I’m going to check my page right now! 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I wonder why it's so expensive. I'm using Diclofenac topical 3% gel with a prescription and it is only $14 with my drug plan. Maybe that seems expensive to you. It lasts a long time though I don't use it more than twice a day most days. I think Voltaren is an over the counter version of the same thing. Glad you seem to have found a good formula for getting into bed. To keep my foot from hurting I do much the same at night but I also need to do the darn hip exercises several times a week. Not as relaxing as yoga.

Paulette

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

I wonder why it's so expensive. I'm using Diclofenac topical 3% gel with a prescription and it is only $14 with my drug plan. Maybe that seems expensive to you. It lasts a long time though I don't use it more than twice a day most days. I think Voltaren is an over the counter version of the same thing. Glad you seem to have found a good formula for getting into bed. To keep my foot from hurting I do much the same at night but I also need to do the darn hip exercises several times a week. Not as relaxing as yoga.

Paulette

You named it… Voltaren gel. It seems expensive because it’s OTC, so evades the drug plan.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Aha. Maybe you could check and see how much the prescription version would be for you and ask your doctor for it. I like BluEmu which is over the counter and sinks in quickly. It uses a different pain killer. I get annoyed by having to wait for the Diclofenac topical 3% gel to dry.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Aha. Maybe you could check and see how much the prescription version would be for you and ask your doctor for it. I like BluEmu which is over the counter and sinks in quickly. It uses a different pain killer. I get annoyed by having to wait for the Diclofenac topical 3% gel to dry.

Paulette

I have BlueEmu also!! 😄  nothing like a couple of gals talking aches & pains!

I have just celebrated a milestone birthday and it was something I had been dreading all year. However, three of my four (adult) children made wonderful plans and treated me to some great fun. The highlight was taking a ferry to Cumberland Island, the southernmost barrier island off the state of Georgia, where we spent the day hiking along the Atlantic coastline. We also shared a lot of delicious food, including baked ziti, blueberry cobbler and ice cream on the actual non-day. I’m feeling very fortunate and much appreciated at the moment. The really wild thing was that none of my children bickered with or picked at each other. Was kind of strange. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

A bit of good and bad........I managed to book a holiday in June - not long after booking I received a text from my niece inviting me to her wedding the day I go away !!

Carol

Decisions, decisions. If it's not a package you could always ditch the outbound flight.

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

A bit of good and bad........I managed to book a holiday in June - not long after booking I received a text from my niece inviting me to her wedding the day I go away !!

Carol

Oh, my.  What to do?  

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Decisions, decisions. If it's not a package you could always ditch the outbound flight.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Oh, my.  What to do?  

Well as said the invite was by text not only to myself but also to my sister, her mum,  who naturally was completely mortified to say the least.  Apparently my niece said she didn't want to be conventional !  She also wants the wedding very low key - it's only another day, her words😥 When I told her I had booked, she texted back saying don't worry you will probably have a better time!  My sister also told me not to cancel/re-arrange.  OMG families always some drama in ours☹️!

In other news my other half finished having his antibiotic drips, the 5 days turned into 7 and then 9 and now finished as of yesterday.  His foot is nearly back to normal, still slight swelling and they don't have any idea what caused it either but onwards and upwards hopefully.  😉

Carol

• Love 4

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Well as said the invite was by text not only to myself but also to my sister, her mum,  who naturally was completely mortified to say the least.  Apparently my niece said she didn't want to be conventional !  She also wants the wedding very low key - it's only another day, her words😥 When I told her I had booked, she texted back saying don't worry you will probably have a better time!  My sister also told me not to cancel/re-arrange.  OMG families always some drama in ours☹️!

In other news my other half finished having his antibiotic drips, the 5 days turned into 7 and then 9 and now finished as of yesterday.  His foot is nearly back to normal, still slight swelling and they don't have any idea what caused it either but onwards and upwards hopefully.  😉

Carol

That’s exactly what you should do, then.  And have a nice time with no guilt. 

• Love 1

I got the notice from B&H that they have my new MacBookPro. It is ordered and will be delivered on Tuesday. I have some trouble being happy these days with what is happening in Ukraine. It seems we have no sooner emerged from Covid than a new horror has arrived. I do have some confidence about being able to handle switching to the new computer (thanks to all the wonderful advice on the Forum). Thank you.

Paulette

• Like 1

I came across this on another forum not photography related but immediately thought of Edo and NYCat and anyone else who enjoys reading.....I don't know Bryan but it sounds interesting......

I'd been asked from time to time to write about my life. Growing up in Brooklyn. Living in Europe. Traveling the world. My performing life, etc. I always said why? What for? It's just me and my life. I certainly never planned to but once we were under house arrest for that amount of time, I finally said ok. So I did it. But the best part to me, I TOLD NO ONE. Friends were shocked that I did it. EVERYBODY ON STAGE FOR THE HAWIIAN NUMBER. It has given me street cred now that I am an author, and I laugh about it Recently joined two other authors for a zoom session. I am amazed by the response to it.

book cover.jpg

JUST BRYAN---Author of the new book, Everybody on Stage for the Hawaiian Number. Available on Amazon.

Carol

• Alamy locked this topic