Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Seems there is a rival Bryan afoot !

My good thing was a visit to meet up with the rest of our family. We saw the three grandchildren and another on the way. Our elder son prepared an interesting and healthy lunch of stuff whose names I know not. Their jobs appear to be going well and most things in the garden rosy.

It involved a 180 mile round trip on our crowded roads, and, as I get older, I increasingly resent the time wasted behind the wheel of a car. We did listen to an interesting programme on radio 3 about the relationship between sisters, told through extracts from literature and music, which helped mitigate the boredom and stress of the return journey, but roll on teleportation ! We should have taken the train.

I have my new MacBookPro. I'm having the usual sorts of problems trying to make it look more or less like what I'm used to but I move forward bit by bit. It is quite beautiful. As long as I don't try to bite off more than I can chew I should be enjoying this process.

Paulette 

• Love 2

I went to a Voices of Ascension concert last night. I volunteered for them for decades and it was lovely to be in the space again. Very emotional. It was conceived as a requiem for those lost to Covid but they added two Orthodox Church pieces in solidarity with Ukraine. I can barely stand to look at the news these days.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

I went to a Voices of Ascension concert last night. I volunteered for them for decades and it was lovely to be in the space again. Very emotional. It was conceived as a requiem for those lost to Covid but they added two Orthodox Church pieces in solidarity with Ukraine. I can barely stand to look at the news these days.

Paulette

Me, either.

19 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Indeed.  Music helped get us through Covid lockdowns, and the situation in Ukraine is depressingly appalling. 

I’m still using a walker or a cane. I use the walker only when I feel very tired or weak. But I had the hardest ever workout during physical therapy yesterday.  I am practicing walking with no assistance, and can, but my gait needs work. It’s not strong or smooth. I feel vulnerable, like I’m risking a fall when I walk with no assistance device. I think it’s because the nerves in my back aren’t sending strong signals to my legs, yet.  That said, the numbness of the skin on my lower legs is slowly resolving, and to me that means the nerves are healing, just slowly.

I was told I’d be a year recovering, and I think that’s finally sinking in.

I was 5’3 1/2 before surgery, now I’m 5’4”. Big deal. I used to be 5’6”.  I only notice it when in the kitchen, and I can’t reach something I used to reach.

The groin problem is still there. Because of it, I have to stay on the nerve medicine and the muscle relaxer. Otherwise, the pain would grab me with every move. 
My appointment with my surgeon was put off a couple of weeks, but I will see him next week. I will ask him if shooting a steroid into the problem area would help.

I am enjoying my straight body, and looking forward to putting on something more fashionable than the sweatshirts I’ve been living in. We had what I hope was our last snow two days ago. The rest of the week will bring warmer weather.

• Love 1

We have your snow today, Betty. It sounds like you are making a lot of improvement. It also sounds like a lot of work. I keep trying to find the ideal exercises for my foot...meaning the ones that work without having to do a lot of them.

Paulette

33 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m still using a walker or a cane. I use the walker only when I feel very tired or weak. But I had the hardest ever workout during physical therapy yesterday.  I am practicing walking with no assistance, and can, but my gait needs work. It’s not strong or smooth. I feel vulnerable, like I’m risking a fall when I walk with no assistance device. I think it’s because the nerves in my back aren’t sending strong signals to my legs, yet.  That said, the numbness of the skin on my lower legs is slowly resolving, and to me that means the nerves are healing, just slowly.

I was 5’3 1/2 before surgery, now I’m 5’4”. Big deal. I used to be 5’6”.  I only notice it when in the kitchen, and I can’t reach something I used to reach.

The groin problem is still there. Because of it, I have to stay on the nerve medicine and the muscle relaxer. Otherwise, the pain would grab me with every move. 
My appointment with my surgeon was put off a couple of weeks, but I will see him next week. I will ask him if shooting a steroid into the problem area would help.

I am enjoying my straight body, and looking forward to putting on something more fashionable than the sweatshirts I’ve been living in. We had what I hope was our last snow two days ago. The rest of the week will bring warmer weather.

The snow is here on the east coast today, we are getting a few inches in DC...won't last long, suppose to be in the 60s F Monday.  Yes, my daughter told me, the other day, that nerve cells are the slowest to regenerate of all the human tissue.  I imagine that they are much more complex.   

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The snow is here on the east coast today, we are getting a few inches in DC...won't last long, suppose to be in the 60s F Monday.  Yes, my daughter told me, the other day, that nerve cells are the slowest to regenerate of all the human tissue.  I imagine that they are much more complex.   

Thanks for that, Michael. Your daughter is telling me I need to be patient. I need reinforcement! 😁

• Love 2

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

We have your snow today, Betty. It sounds like you are making a lot of improvement. It also sounds like a lot of work. I keep trying to find the ideal exercises for my foot...meaning the ones that work without having to do a lot of them.

Paulette

My daughter had foot surgery a few years ago. Her bones didn’t heal the first time, and she went under the knife again. This time she used a bone stimulator and her bones healed. I watched her do foot exercises also, and they looked painful.

26 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter had foot surgery a few years ago. Her bones didn’t heal the first time, and she went under the knife again. This time she used a bone stimulator and her bones healed. I watched her do foot exercises also, and they looked painful.

So far I'm lucky with my foot. Oddly, it is the hip exercises that do me the most good. I'm hoping to avoid the knife!

Paulette

• Love 1

Yesterday met up with my daughter and grandson in the UK Cotswold town of Burford for a meal and a look around. Weather was good and traveled light with just a D750 and 24-70. Food was good too, but parking was a little tight in Sheep Street. While waiting for my daughter to arrive I glanced over a junk sale raising funds for Burford Scouts. I picked up an interesting book in immaculate condition for a £1, Tibetan Portrait, containing photography by Phil Borges, very nice portraits. Later shot picture of a man's tee shirt showing a Russian warship bristling with armament with a slogan in Ukranian cyrillic below it. I asked him if he knew what the text was, but he only said he wouldn't speak it with my daughter and grandson standing by me. Likely based upon the Ukrainian postage stamp competition. This calls for a little research. Rounded off the afternoon with some walking, foot paths weren't too muddy. An interesting a relaxing day.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Pleased to hear you are improving.  Just sorry it is not going as fast as you wish.

Allan

• Love 1

Out of curiosity, I seached for 'Australia' on Alamy. It returned 1,885,517 images.

To my amazement, in the Relevant tab, I have 1 image on page 1 (38th position) and 2 on page 2 (64th and 66th positions). 

All have sold.

I will take any small good news.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Pleased to hear you are improving.  Just sorry it is not going as fast as you wish.

Allan

I’ve been told I don’t have a lot of patience, Allan. But thank you.  I’m doing my part, my nerves just need to do theirs. I have a son-in-law who is getting ready to have the same surgery as I had. But more extensive yet. He has “flat back syndrome” and his surgeon will correct that into the curve it should have along with rods and screws.

I had never heard of flat back syndrome, but looked it up. I’m always learning something new, it seems.

Spent most of yesterday laying a laminate floor in our new house extension. The stuff flies down between walls, but where you encounter doors or projections the work slows to a crawl. I'm probably about half way through the job and it's going OK. There are some tricky bits to do first  today but then it's all plain sailing. I need to complete the work as both my wife and elder son strongly recommended hiring a tradesperson to do it !  At some stage in my life I'll have to concede that old age has won, but I'm still fighting a rearguard action at the moment. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Spent most of yesterday laying a laminate floor in our new house extension. The stuff flies down between walls, but where you encounter doors or projections the work slows to a crawl. I'm probably about half way through the job and it's going OK. There are some tricky bits to do first  today but then it's all plain sailing. I need to complete the work as both my wife and elder son strongly recommended hiring a tradesperson to do it !  At some stage in my life I'll have to concede that old age has won, but I'm still fighting a rearguard action at the moment. 

A penny saved is a penny earned….and you’ve earned a lot of them by doing the work yourself.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

A penny saved is a penny earned….and you’ve earned a lot of them by doing the work yourself.

Cheers Betty. My wife helped this afternoon and together we finished the job.  Looks great - to me !  I just need to sort out the skirting boards, repair the damaged lawn,  paint the ceiling and life returns back to normal.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Cheers Betty. My wife helped this afternoon and together we finished the job.  Looks great - to me !  I just need to sort out the skirting boards, repair the damaged lawn,  paint the ceiling and life returns back to normal.

Painting the ceiling is a hated job for me…it causes a lot of neck pain. I hope your body is up to the task. Tough job as we age…and I’m speaking for myself!

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Painting the ceiling is a hated job for me…it causes a lot of neck pain. I hope your body is up to the task. Tough job as we age…and I’m speaking for myself!

Can't say that I'm over keen either, but we've recently acquired a short telescopic pole that attaches to a roller and that makes the job a whole lot easier. I've used extension poles in the past, but this one. by Harris, is a Rolls Royce of poles. It's light but doesn't flex, while it screws firmly into the roller handle so it stays in place.  I read the reviews before buying and the 100% rating was not undeserved.  Boy's toys I guess 🙂

2HTJ1XH.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Can't say that I'm over keen either, but we've recently acquired a short telescopic pole that attaches to a roller and that makes the job a whole lot easier. I've used extension poles in the past, but this one. by Harris, is a Rolls Royce of poles. It's light but doesn't flex, while it screws firmly into the roller handle so it stays in place.  I read the reviews before buying and the 100% rating was not undeserved.  Boy's toys I guess 🙂

2HTJ1XH.jpg

Hate to mention this now but.........are you sure you've got enough sockets? We have too many and it's still not enough.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

2HTJ1XH.jpg

Tidy! 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

2HTJ1XH.jpg

Wow. Look at all those windows.. AND a skylight (or two). I could be very happy in that room.

Paulette

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bryan If I was doing the job I would have painted the ceiling first then when you laid the floor there would be no paint splashes/drips to clean off and you would not have had the trouble of covering the newly laid floor.

Allan

Same goes for the walls.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic