Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can't say that I'm over keen either, but we've recently acquired a short telescopic pole that attaches to a roller and that makes the job a whole lot easier. I've used extension poles in the past, but this one. by Harris, is a Rolls Royce of poles. It's light but doesn't flex, while it screws firmly into the roller handle so it stays in place.  I read the reviews before buying and the 100% rating was not undeserved.  Boy's toys I guess 🙂

2HTJ1XH.jpg

What a nice room, full of light and a view of the garden! I like the ledge on the left under the windows.  A perfect place for potted plants. If it were me, and only if you used the ledge for pots, I might think of tiling the surface.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can't say that I'm over keen either, but we've recently acquired a short telescopic pole that attaches to a roller and that makes the job a whole lot easier. I've used extension poles in the past, but this one. by Harris, is a Rolls Royce of poles. It's light but doesn't flex, while it screws firmly into the roller handle so it stays in place.  I read the reviews before buying and the 100% rating was not undeserved.  Boy's toys I guess 🙂

2HTJ1XH.jpg

Bryan the new addition looks amazing and I bet Mrs. Bryan is delighted, well done😁

Carol

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Bryan If I was doing the job I would have painted the ceiling first then when you laid the floor there would be no paint splashes/drips to clean off and you would not have had the trouble of covering the newly laid floor.

Allan

Same goes for the walls.

ITMA

Project planning Allan, and the best laid plans etc. The new extension was fully painted before laying the floor, but there was a long delay waiting for a plasterer to skim the old dining room ceiling, then a further delay waiting for it to dry.  So rather than wait until that was done we cracked on, painted the walls then laid the floor after he had finished. Floor covered with old sheets before painting the ceiling.  No drips on the floor after the first coat, but ever vigilant !!

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Hate to mention this now but.........are you sure you've got enough sockets? We have too many and it's still not enough.

Yes indeed, I  know the problem, eight in that room, plus an extra 2 in the lounge (with USB outputs) while the electrician was on site.

When we bought the house new it was fully built so we couldn't influence the detail design. It had a woefully inadequate number of sockets. Since that time I've converted most of the single sockets to doubles etc, and added a few extra.

When our younger son recently completely refurbished a Victorian house we were able to recommend from experience that hordes of sockets would be a good thing, along with isolating valves on all of the taps. 

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hey, that's bigger then my whole studio flat! But at least I don't have to spend a lot of time walking from one side to the other.

It was she wot wanted it, the house was far too big for the two of us prior to building an extension !  In contrast we have a tiny caravan, and have spent probably a year in total living in that in various places around mainland Europe.  In the van you have to put away the table in order to go to bed.  

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What a nice room, full of light and a view of the garden! I like the ledge on the left under the windows.  A perfect place for potted plants. If it were me, and only if you used the ledge for pots, I might think of tiling the surface.

Good idea Betty, although that window only sees direct sunlight later in the day during high summer.  I am currently raising some shade loving cyclamen that I have in mind placing on both window ledges.

Not sure that I could get a tiled surface past the boss however.......

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good idea Betty, although that window only sees direct sunlight later in the day during high summer.  I am currently raising some shade loving cyclamen that I have in mind placing on both window ledges.

Not sure that I could get a tiled surface past the boss however.......

😄 The Boss always knows best. (Speaking as a former boss…)

13 hours ago, Bryan said:

eight in that room, plus an extra 2 in the lounge

Right, there was only one showing in the photograph, but 8 in a room is probably enough- I assume you mean 8 doubles:D

I see we now have rockets on our avatars.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Right, there was only one showing in the photograph, but 8 in a room is probably enough- I assume you mean 8 doubles:D

I see we now have rockets on our avatars.

But if you get the double sockets with USB sockets the 8 becomes 16...🙃

16 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

But if you get the double sockets with USB sockets the 8 becomes 16...🙃

Exactly, 4 doubles in a room is seldom enough, 8 is hardly too many.

I used to fit BS1363s for my Gran in the late 70s and 80s, she still had round pins. Her house was only built a few decades after Galvani stopped doing unpleasant things to frogs so the electrical installation was very much a surface phenomenon.

Mostly so I could plug my projectors in. Remember when you had to fit your own plugs..............?

Edited by spacecadet

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Exactly, 4 doubles in a room is seldom enough, 8 is hardly too many.

I used to fit BS1363s for my Gran in the late 70s and 80s, she still had round pins. Her house was only built a few decades after Galvani stopped doing unpleasant things to frogs so the electrical installation was very much a surface phenomenon.

Mostly so I could plug my projectors in. Remember when you had to fit your own plugs..............?

Fitting plugs... The days when a hairdryer and plug counter as 2 presents....

Just now, Mr Standfast said:

Fitting plugs... The days when a hairdryer and plug counter as 2 presents....

I kind of miss it now.........but there's always a custom-length extension to make up, now tellies go on walls, or garages become useable. And those moulded plugs do go phut occasionally. So you can keep in practice. I learnt from a master......tug one of my extensions and the plug comes out of the socket before a wire detaches.

OH's late husband had a more liberal approach to 240V.......fortunately I've now defused (!) most of his more electrifying perpetrations. I hope.

Ok, ceilings painted, the 13  little spring loaded LED downlights popped back into place with only minimal finger damage.  Now sorting out the skirting boards.  Bought a life saving mitre jig from Screwfix, it makes the job so much easier.  I'm hoping glue might be enough.  The end is nigh....

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Ok, ceilings painted, the 13  little spring loaded LED downlights popped back into place with only minimal finger damage.  Now sorting out the skirting boards.  Bought a life saving mitre jig from Screwfix, it makes the job so much easier.  I'm hoping glue might be enough.  The end is nigh....

Another story, Bryan. Many moons ago we were updating our bathroom. Toilet, double sinks and bathtub/shower came out. New floor, fixtures and custom cabinets built by pros. They were raw wood, so I sanded, stained and put a clear coat on, which involved multiple coats of each. I then wallpapered the walls and my husband was to do the baseboards, which were only a few feet by the commode, wrapping around two inside corners only on one side of the bathroom.

We didn’t own a mitre box. I suggested to hubby to borrow one from one of his close friends, an expert woodworker. His reply? “No, I can do it by eyeballing it”. We fussed about it. He eyeballed it. Turned out a horrible fit, and one of the corners were smack dab in front of anyone sitting on the throne. Every time I was in there, it was like a thorn poking my eye.

I waited until hubby went out of town for a job safety meeting for a couple of days. I ripped out the baseboard, bought a mitre box and new boards. I measured twice, cut once, installed them, then stained them to match the new cabinets. And no, I had never worked with cutting wood before, but it wasn’t rocket science.

We always fought over that stuff. He was all chewing gum and rubber bands, I was a stickler for doing it right and always willing to help. “The Boss” (me) usually won, but only just short of a knock down, drag out spectacular fight! 😂 God luv him!

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I have to be impressed Betty, it's not that easy cutting mitres, even with a jig !

From past experience I know that cutting accurate 45 deg. angles is only part of the battle as the junctions in the walls are rarely at an exact 90 degs. Fortunately we can use filler and paint over our skirting boards so hiding the mistakes !  In your case using stained wood, a much more difficult prospect.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have to be impressed Betty, it's not that easy cutting mitres, even with a jig !

From past experience I know that cutting accurate 45 deg. angles is only part of the battle as the junctions in the walls are rarely at an exact 90 degs. Fortunately we can use filler and paint over our skirting boards so hiding the mistakes !  In your case using stained wood, a much more difficult prospect.

Gather your sawdust; mix it with ordinary wood glue and use it as a filler.

wim

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Had our elder son and  grandbairns visit this pm, and ate our first family meal together in our newly extended dining room. I had the kids sow sweet peas before Xmas and was able to give them each a plant to take away. 

• Like 1

The sun has been shining, the soil is warming, so I've been sowing trays of vegetables at the allotment. I may do some premature planting of potatoes early next week. The garden has been neglected a bit due to having to repair storm damage and sorting out our house extension, so with no time to dig, I'll be experimenting with no dig gardening this year. 

• Love 1

Been applying wood stain to fences yesterday and today. Absolutely knackered.

Good thing? Only another 80 sq mtrs to do.

Arrgh!

Allan

30 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Been applying wood stain to fences yesterday and today. Absolutely knackered.

Good thing? Only another 80 sq mtrs to do.

Arrgh!

Allan

My neighbour bought a spray gun for that task.  Not tried it myself but tempted !

A currier picked up my iMac this morning to return it to Apple. I then went to the Apple Store and applied for the refund of £1,229. The £220 trade-in on my 2017 MacBook Pro is not effected. Everything went very well. So far. I will check on Monday to see if the money is in my account. 

And the Cilla Black statue is back on Mathew Street. It’s been gone for months. 

Sunshine with a temperature of 17 C today. It looked suspiciously like spring. 

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic