Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Good to hear that you are slowly on the mend Betty !  Think positive.

Can't  you use a long handled  squeegee mop on the kitchen floor, rather than try to get down on hands and knees? My wife prefers to clean the floor by hand, but I use the mop.

We have a box for shoes next to the door, it looks untidy but better than having them strewn about. 

I love our sons, and I'm always glad to see them and their families when they visit, but it's always nice to return to the peace and quiet when they leave. I guess that you have appreciated the support of your family, but would like to return to your normal routine. No doubt that will happen in due course.

Meanwhile in these parts my wife spotted a pair of traditional wooden carver chairs in a local secondhand shop. Now we had been searching online for these either new or used, but without success. The nice ones were exorbitantly expensive antiques or the style didn't match what we had. The shop owner wanted to sell his chairs  with a table but I persuaded him to take cash, a bargain at £40, for the chairs only, so we now have enough chairs and space for entertaining. Job done.

Now I must try to get back to sleep, counting sheep, or maybe listening to a boring programme on the radio. Need to find a cure for insomnia.....

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

We have a box for shoes next to the door, it looks untidy but better than having them strewn about. 

We have a shoe rack just inside the front door, it works well. The only exception is my wife gardening shoes, they live by the back door. She just had them resoled by the manufacturer, worth it as the cost was around half of a new pair, and they now look as good as new. I only regret not photographing them before and after.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

We have a shoe rack just inside the front door, it works well. The only exception is my wife gardening shoes, they live by the back door. She just had them resoled by the manufacturer, worth it as the cost was around half of a new pair, and they now look as good as new. I only regret not photographing them before and after.

We also have  shoe racks, but one of the inhabitants of this house has more shoes than you can shake a stick at, so no room at the Inn for other mortals.  Actually there is no room for a rack beside any of our outside doors, washing machine or rack etc, so a box is as good as it gets. 

Whilst on the subject of shoes, I've reached the age where I need to use a long shoehorn to put them on, and then some raised position to rest my feet in order to tie the laces, but thinking positive, I'm still here and cycle most days. 🙂

Edited by Bryan

I've just made a boot jack requested by the Beautiful Daughter (no, there isn't an ugly one). Some hilarity when I said I'd have to check my drawers but I think it's now clear that it is made out of the fronts of things you keep stuff in. Ones that are no longer needed for the purpose, that is.

Edited by spacecadet

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son, who has been staying with me to help out since early February, isn’t a housekeeper. Oh, he washes dishes, starts the Roomba to vacuum the floor, but he doesn’t mop, he doesn’t dust, he doesn’t clean bathrooms. And he likes to pile 5 pairs of his shoes up here in the living area rather than keep them in his downstairs bedroom. I’ve been going a bit mad seeing clutter and dirt. He’s packed my refrigerator freezer and my basement freezer with so much food I don’t think I could squeeze a toothpick in, let alone find the meatloaf I fixed and froze before surgery. It’ll be freezer burned before I find it. And the basement family room has clothes piled everywhere. Yes I raised him. Where did I go wrong?

His dog threw up on the kitchen floor two days ago, and he cleaned it up. Then he got a handful of paper towels and spray cleaner to further clean that area. The paper towels came up black with dirt and grime.  Horrors! It hadn’t been mopped since I cleaned the house spotless before surgery and I’m sure his dog is tracking in a lot of grime between trying to get under my feet and trip me. She likes to silently follow me and step on my heels or get between my feet as I walk. I’m no longer used to a dog underfoot and as unsteady as I still am, that’s dangerous.

Yesterday, even thouBegh I still have a hard time standing up straight, I mopped the kitchen floor and my own master bath. So I’d say I’m slowly on the mend. It reminds me when my labor started with my last child, and between pains I scrubbed the kitchen floor on hands and knees and waxed it before taking off for the hospital.

Son is flying away for Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday, and I’ll pick him up Monday evening. My daughter and hubby is leaving for a resort area on Saturday. I’ll be on my own with no support system for the first time other than his dog, who is loving, but I’ll be caring for her and praying she doesn’t trip me. I cannot bend over and clean up vomit, either.

I must get my taxes done, and find some time to clean a little bit while he’s gone. Maybe at least dust. Wish me luck. My son will start a new job April 18th, and he’s looking for his own place. I’m ready. Wish I could afford a house cleaner to come in and get my house back where I need it once he moves out.

Oh Betty, you really need to get someone in to do one big professional cleaning before you are left on your own. I bet one or all of your kids would kick in some money for that. I have rather resisted getting a cleaner for my little place but it has more to do with feelings of privacy or something than it is about the money. I kind of hate the idea of someone messing about with my stuff but they'd probably do a better job  than I do. I don't like the idea of you hurting yourself again trying to do housework.

Paulette

Another thought...  Medicare does cover home health aides for people in your situation who don't have a relative helping out. They usually say they only do "light housekeeping" but after getting one big cleaning it would probably be fine to have someone coming in twice a week to help.

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

We also have  shoe racks, but one of the inhabitants of this house has more shoes than you can shake a stick at, so no room at the Inn for other mortals.  Actually there is no room for a rack beside any of our outside doors, washing machine or rack etc, so a box is as good as it gets. 

Whilst on the subject of shoes, I've reached the age where I need to use a long shoehorn to put them on, and then some raised position to rest my feet in order to tie the laces, but thinking positive, I'm still here and cycle most days. 🙂

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Oh Betty, you really need to get someone in to do one big professional cleaning before you are left on your own. I bet one or all of your kids would kick in some money for that. I have rather resisted getting a cleaner for my little place but it has more to do with feelings of privacy or something than it is about the money. I kind of hate the idea of someone messing about with my stuff but they'd probably do a better job  than I do. I don't like the idea of you hurting yourself again trying to do housework.

Paulette

Another thought...  Medicare does cover home health aides for people in your situation who don't have a relative helping out. They usually say they only do "light housekeeping" but after getting one big cleaning it would probably be fine to have someone coming in twice a week to help.

Sorry I used the wrong quote. Can’t seem to fix it.

Bryan, I did use a mop. My hands and knees scrubbing stopped after knee surgery and my doctor said to never do that again, since my knee caps had became very thin from all the use.

Paulette, trust is an issue with me. I have heard horror stories, especially seniors having items stolen. I have quite a bit of jewelry in a many-drawered 4 foot jewelry chest, and several smaller jewelry boxes, an earring tree, etc.  Most of it is from my deceased daughter-in-law. She was rather a shopaholic.  Emptying that out, removing my Martin guitar and other valuables would in itself involve a lot of work, then all of it would need put back.

Sometimes little things can disappear and one never notices until much later when one goes to use/wear it.

I’m not a fearful distrusting person, but again, I didn’t just now fall off the turnip truck. I have a healthy dose of understanding the real world.

edited to add:

My biggest problem is I'm too independent. I don’t ever ask my kids to do something big for me. If they offer on their own, I may or may not overcome the independent thing, but I never ask. Possibly (lol) a fault of mine. 
These days, since my son is helping me, I might ask him to help me put Echo to bed if I’m trashed. Y day’s end. It involves changing her cage papers, giving her an almond, refilling her dried food bowl, emptying and washing her steamed vegetable bowl, changing her water and covering her cage for the night. Then lowering her blinds. Quite involved with several trips to the kitchen.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sorry I used the wrong quote. Can’t seem to fix it.

Bryan, I did use a mop. My hands and knees scrubbing stopped after knee surgery and my doctor said to never do that again, since my knee caps had became very thin from all the use.

Paulette, trust is an issue with me. I have heard horror stories, especially seniors having items stolen. I have quite a bit of jewelry in a many-drawered 4 foot jewelry chest, and several smaller jewelry boxes, an earring tree, etc.  Most of it is from my deceased daughter-in-law. She was rather a shopaholic.  Emptying that out, removing my Martin guitar and other valuables would in itself involve a lot of work, then all of it would need put back.

Sometimes little things can disappear and one never notices until much later when one goes to use/wear it.

I’m not a fearful distrusting person, but again, I didn’t just now fall off the turnip truck. I have a healthy dose of understanding the real world.

edited to add:

My biggest problem is I'm too independent. I don’t ever ask my kids to do something big for me. If they offer on their own, I may or may not overcome the independent thing, but I never ask. Possibly (lol) a fault of mine. 
These days, since my son is helping me, I might ask him to help me put Echo to bed if I’m trashed. Y day’s end. It involves changing her cage papers, giving her an almond, refilling her dried food bowl, emptying and washing her steamed vegetable bowl, changing her water and covering her cage for the night. Then lowering her blinds. Quite involved with several trips to the kitchen.

I understand. I know someone here I absolutely trust but I don't think she can get herself to  Kansas for the day. My friend Joan found her for doing cleaning and then paid her to assist when she had broken her wrist. Had her staying over a couple of nights. She's from Peru and is a delight. She has also assisted with a Thanksgiving dinner and a big party. One of my cat-sitting clients was looking for a cleaner and I suggested Maria. My client says she is "a find" and now she is also working for someone else in that building. You would have to have someone who has proven herself trustworthy for someone else for many years. They are out there and can even be good company.

Paulette

Luis and I went to La Colonia (which I have some cell phone photos of but which I want to take some stock photos of since it's a wonderful Nicaraguan business success story, founded by someone in a city an hour away, also in the mountains).   Bought a container of Greek Yogurt, a cloth coffee sock on a plastic frame (I'd seen these once upon a time at La Colonia in Matagalpa, but never since), a roasted half chicken for Luis for his help since the bank card isn't here yet, and some other stuff that didn't need to be frozen.   La Colonia has an electric scooter which I've been a bit dangerous with at times.   Also got some tuna in water and in olive oil for one sauce for spaghetti and some peeled canned tomatoes and some tomato paste that had been out of stock earlier, two liter bottles of unsweetened orange juice so I can use some for gluten and dairy free yuca pancakes (I bought the mix earlier), and Nicaraguan peanut butter with honey rather than cane sugar (wonderful stuff).

From Wednesday or Thurday is Semana Santa and Luis and everyone else will be on vacation.   I'm going to try walking Lola while using the cane.  I've started doing the tracing the alphabet with my foot (leg elevated) exercise that I got from Doctor Google which seemed to help with the left knee earlier. 

Jinotega is a fairly amazing little city of around 50K or 80K depending on who one believes.  It's the commercial, legal, and medical hub for a large agricultural hinterland (coffee, cattle, vegetables, fruit of various kinds).  Coffee and cattle are the big export items; vegetables and fruit tend to be eaten locally or in Managua.   Our rice is either Nicaraguan or USA; corn is generally Nicaraguan, and wheat comes from <hiss> Russia.   Jinotega gets a lot of Nicaraguans who retire here after a life of working in the US.  There's a speculation that Cubans also are moving in, but I only know of a few of those.   It's pretty evenly divided politically between FSLN and the Opposition.   A number of computer/phone stores, hardware/electronics stores, three big grocery or grocery/other stuff stores, and a Radio Shack which sells entry level Canon and Nikon DSLRs. 

So, got out, shopped, found the cloth filters on holders for under $3.50 US, bought one.   Shopping therapy.   My British friend sent money and a shopping list with Luis. 

The thing with coffee here is that the only freshly roasted coffee here is local Jinotega Arabica, and we have good years and mediocre years.   So, since I've only got one commercial bean to play with, I try varying the grinding and brewing.   I can get Elephant Beans, but would have to roast them myself and they're subtle (pepper hints) but not that amazing.   Easier to buy fresh roasted growers' coop coffee for around $4 a lb (is $16 a lb in the US from what I've heard).  So fun to have the cloth sock filter, which is a traditional way of brewing coffee in Latin America.   James Hoffman has a YouTube video on how to maintain cloth filters and recommends them highly.    It was tasty coffee.

• Love 1

On 08/04/2022 at 11:48, NYCat said:

Oh Betty, you really need to get someone in to do one big professional cleaning before you are left on your own. 

Generally speaking, men are not famous for their neatness. Often, they can fix something or install something, but that's not being neat. I can't fix anything, still I'm not neat. 

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Generally speaking, men are not famous for their neatness. Often, they can fix something or install something, but that's not being neat. I can't fix anything, still I'm not neat. 

Well, I can do fixing* and installing, but not neatly. Fortunately I can now leave quite a bit of mess in the garage.  And guess where all the stray stuff goes at Christmas.

*Order of battle: 1) hot glue, 2) contact glue, 3) superglue, 4) screws, 5) don't really need it, 6) ask for a new one for birthday or Christmas. 

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

So true. That’s why marriage was invented, so we have the right to whip men into shape. That’s why we cook their favorite meals for them, and keep their clothes fresh and clean, so they will put up with our nagging.

Although my sister has 3 sons. One was neat, two slobs. Growing up, the neat one shared a room with a slob. When Neat hit his teenage years, my sister moved the youngest out of the small bedroom so two slobs were together and Mr. Neat had a room of his own, which he kept spotless.

Now, both slobs have been reformed by their wives and their houses are very neat.

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

So true. That’s why marriage was invented, so we have the right to whip men into shape. That’s why we cook their favorite meals for them, and keep their clothes fresh and clean, so they will put up with our nagging.

Although my sister has 3 sons. One was neat, two slobs. Growing up, the neat one shared a room with a slob. When Neat hit his teenage years, my sister moved the youngest out of the small bedroom so two slobs were together and Mr. Neat had a room of his own, which he kept spotless.

Now, both slobs have been reformed by their wives and their houses are very neat.

In my marriage, I was not neat but I did most of the cooking and all the laundry.  Also did all the house maintenance, lawn mowing and trash (rubbish) removal.   Still got the nagging.  New guy can't cook or do laundry (according to our kids) but is neat and makes a lot more money.   No resentment, if the first pancake doesn't workout, you have to make another one.  My ex and I actually get along super well...we probably talk more now than when we were married!! 😀

• Love 1

When I was married, I did all the cooking, cleaning, child rearing, worked outside the home, and did most of the household maintenance. All four of my children are great cooks and are certainly very capable of maintaining their homes. I taught my sons to shop, cook, and do their laundry, just like I taught my daughters. It’s fun to now spend time with them as adults. Currently, I’m traveling with my youngest, and we’re having a pretty good time. 

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Love 3

28 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

In my marriage, I was not neat but I did most of the cooking and all the laundry.  Also did all the house maintenance, lawn mowing and trash (rubbish) removal.   Still got the nagging.  New guy can't cook or do laundry (according to our kids) but is neat and makes a lot more money.   No resentment, if the first pancake doesn't workout, you have to make another one.  My ex and I actually get along super well...we probably talk more now than when we were married!! 😀

Perhaps talking more while married might have kept the marriage alive?

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Perhaps talking more while married might have kept the marriage alive?

Allan

Perhaps.  It is rarely just one person's fault/doings when marriages don't work out.  And the same can be said when they do work!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Perhaps.  It is rarely just one person's fault/doings when marriages don't work out.  And the same can be said when they do work!  

True, true.  Sorry if I hit a sore point.

Allan

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

When I was married, I did all the cooking, cleaning, child rearing, worked outside the home, and did most of the household maintenance. All four of my children are great cooks and are certainly very capable of maintaining their homes. I taught my sons to shop, cook, and do their laundry, just like I taught my daughters. It’s fun to now spend time with them as adults. Currently, I’m traveling with my youngest, and we’re having a pretty good time. 

I am not married now and I do all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, washing, make the bed, working outside the home, and do most of the household maintenance.

I am a vacancy waiting to happen.

Allan

8 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

“Perhaps.  It is rarely just one person's fault/doings when marriages don't work out.  And the same can be said when they do work!”   True, Michael. I can’t claim superiority for not divorcing. I would have divorced but I was afraid of him. He did mellow in later years and I ended up caring for him to the end with his dementia.

It sounds like my marriage, Cecile. I did all that. Plus flower beds and lawn edging. Throw in painting in and out, making a large rose garden with lumber-edged beds and stone between. I put in a stone walk beside the house from patio to gate, that was dirt/mud before. Hubby mowed, and if I started painting in or out, sometimes he would join me and put in a few hours, and do about a third of it. Whenever he could tear himself away from the golf on the tv if not out playing it.  Actually a lot of that outdoor stuff I did wasn’t necessary. I just wanted the yard to be nice and look pretty. I made the work, so I take the blame.

That’s why I got into the broken down shape I’m in! 😊

My oldest sister, over five years my senior, is in better condition than I am, but she never did the hard labor I did. She has medical issues, though, COPD and kidney disease. They retired down in the south, coast of Texas, for awhile near a refinery that spewed out black stuff that settled over their home, cars and boat. It got her lungs. Her husband got pancreatic cancer and died right after they came back to Oklahoma. 
I tried to teach my son how to do the household things like my girls. One day when he was turning 9 and drying dishes while my daughter washed, their dad came in and without discussing it with me, handed out the edict that for his birthday, he’d never have to do housework again. Go figure.  I couldn’t fight him over it because he had a white hot temper. 

Michael, if someone had done the cooking and laundry for me, I’d have been over the moon. With three kids, laundry was never-ending, and I got so tired of cooking.  You did good.
Who knows, I might have had time to strand myself on the roof a few more times sawing tree limbs that were damaging the roof. Do you realize how easy it is to climb a tall ladder, and how hard it is to try to go backwards and find that top rung? I shook like a leaf and had to be helped down. While I peeked trying to see the rung, I got a good look at how far down the ground was! Argh! And I used to scamper over barn roofs and in tree tops as a little girl!

By the way, today I paid bills and got my taxes ready for the tax guy. My son left me for 4 days to visit his stepson in California, so I’m winging it. I also cleaned another bathroom. Amazing what I can do when I can concentrate. I am caring for his dog, sweet Sophie.

• Love 1

I guess we fit the stereotype. I fix stuff and make a mess. I wash the dishes but she does most of the cleaning. I do some of the cooking.  I get nagged for leaving junk about the place and not changing out of my work clothes before sitting on our comfy chairs. 

Both of our sons are neater than me, but one is divorced and is now looking after the kids half the time. He's a very good father, better at it than I was, a more modern man.

I  don't think that she wants to leave me, nor me her. 50 plus years and still in love, most of the time !

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I guess we fit the stereotype. I fix stuff and make a mess. I wash the dishes but she does most of the cleaning. I do some of the cooking.  I get nagged for leaving junk about the place and not changing out of my work clothes before sitting on our comfy chairs. 

Both of our sons are neater than me, but one is divorced and is now looking after the kids half the time. He's a very good father, better at it than I was, a more modern man.

I  don't think that she wants to leave me, nor me her. 50 plus years and still in love, most of the time !

Bryan, one thing I know about you is that you aren’t lazy. You are always fixing things, raising vegetables and worked on your new room. I’d say your wife has a good mate.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Strange things happening, I uploaded some images yesterday afternoon, early this morning I received an email advising they had passed QC - I thought ooh that's quick, however when I just checked in image manager they are still in QC 🙃

Carol

So that is where it went.  Yes I am waiting for one too.  No he is not a Chinese person.

Allan

Last night I watched a program about Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise and their lives together in the music halls and on TV.

At the end when the credits rolled up at the top of the list was ALAMY/PA.  Wonder what they supplied?

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic