Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

since this is a café in a fairly touristy place,

The prospective buyer will find another image of it elsewhere.😡

Allan

After years of prevarication and procrastination on my part I finally agreed to my wife's plan to have a small house extension built. The company doing the work we know and trust as we've used them in the past. So in the space of a week, we've seen a canopy removed, foundations dug, concrete poured and brickwork commenced. The builders get through prodigious quantities of tea and coffee, but they don't half graft. I've met with the building inspector and he's happy with the plans and work to date.  I'm still not convinced that we actually need an extension, but the job is progressing well, anything for a quiet life.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

For a bit of fun and a break in our travels, we volunteered for a ‘farm sitting’ opportunity in Western Australia. Details were that we would be responsible for the welfare of 3 cows, 5 alpacas, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 fish, countless chickens, guinea fowls, turkeys, geese and guinea pigs.  

What a shock it was when we got there: 12kms from the beginning of the ‘driveway’ to the farm, 5,000 hectares of wheat fields, humongous machinery. As far as we can see on the horizon on all sides and beyond, it’s theirs and more.

The owners left on holidays to the beach today for 10 days, insisting we could have the use of their 4x4 car, swimming pool, quadbike. Go fishing for yabbies in our dam and fill up your motorhome with our diesel, we get a discount for farming. We’re pinching ourselves. Even after almost 10 years, we’re still in awe of distances and sizes in Oz.  Meanwhile, 9 eggs only today. Hello cholesterol!

• Love 2

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

For a bit of fun and a break in our travels, we volunteered for a ‘farm sitting’ opportunity in Western Australia. Details were that we would be responsible for the welfare of 3 cows, 5 alpacas, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 fish, countless chickens, guinea fowls, turkeys, geese and guinea pigs.  

What a shock it was when we got there: 12kms from the beginning of the ‘driveway’ to the farm, 5,000 hectares of wheat fields, humongous machinery. As far as we can see on the horizon on all sides and beyond, it’s theirs and more.

The owners left on holidays to the beach today for 10 days, insisting we could have the use of their 4x4 car, swimming pool, quadbike. Go fishing for yabbies in our dam and fill up your motorhome with our diesel, we get a discount for farming. We’re pinching ourselves. Even after almost 10 years, we’re still in awe of distances and sizes in Oz.  Meanwhile, 9 eggs only today. Hello cholesterol!

I walked 20 minutes away from the city centre the other day. Almost got lost. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8RsqjlS2o

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I walked 20 minutes away from the city centre the other day. Almost got lost. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8RsqjlS2o

OK but that's 9 eggs today, we're here for 10 days and have been told it can be up to 12 a day. Plus we have 16 from the previous house sitting with 13 chooks. 

Omelettes, scrambled eggs, pancakes with eggs, eggs benedict, boiled eggs. Yikes!

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No pigs, eh? They'll eat eggs. They'll eat your shoes too. 

M0FX8H.jpg

Looks yummy.

We would not have volunteered with pigs. Having said that, the big dog is lovely, very gentle, loves cuddles, follows us everywhere. We were told she's a cross mastiff x Great Dane. No way we would have volunteered with those details. Just goes to show. 

52 minutes ago, gvallee said:

OK but that's 9 eggs today, we're here for 10 days and have been told it can be up to 12 a day. Plus we have 16 from the previous house sitting with 13 chooks. 

Omelettes, scrambled eggs, pancakes with eggs, eggs benedict, boiled eggs. Yikes!

My daughter used to keep chickens in her garden in Bristol. We always used to have boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled egg on toast or omelettes when we visited. If I opened a tin of sweetcorn the chickens would jump into my arms to eat it. Foxes became a problem, and 2 were lost, so the remainder were re homed. She held no grudge against the foxes, now they regularly inhabit the bottom of her garden and co exist with her cat.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

when i got a similar stay, i ended up teaching myself to make tamagoyaki, the japanese omelette. It was fun.  Never managed to make pretty like they did in sushi restaurant, but it was delicious. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

when i got a similar stay, i ended up teaching myself to make tamagoyaki, the japanese omelette. It was fun.  Never managed to make pretty like they did in sushi restaurant, but it was delicious. 

Eggxellent!

34 minutes ago, sb photos said:

My daughter used to keep chickens in her garden in Bristol. We always used to have boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled egg on toast or omelettes when we visited. If I opened a tin of sweetcorn the chickens would jump into my arms to eat it. Foxes became a problem, and 2 were lost, so the remainder were re homed. She held no grudge against the foxes, now they regularly inhabit the bottom of her garden and co exist with her cat.

In the previous house sit, there were 13 chickens. One had been taken by a python, one by a fox. 

In the UK in Hampshire, I had a fox living in my garden. He would come out of his den at exactly 6pm every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Wrong thread.

Edited by Dave Richards
deleted
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Looks yummy.

We would not have volunteered with pigs. Having said that, the big dog is lovely, very gentle, loves cuddles, follows us everywhere. We were told she's a cross mastiff x Great Dane. No way we would have volunteered with those details. Just goes to show. 

That dog sounds great.  It must be huge. I like dogs and cats and foxes and chickens, even pigs. Snakes and bugs? Well, I avoid them. Personally, I don't witness the connection between the chicken and the egg. My eggs are in a box on a shelf at the M&S Foodhall. 

I'm looking forward to Easter when I can start the day with this breakfast. 

2FJX8K6.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

That dog sounds great.  It must be huge. I like dogs and cats and foxes and chickens, even pigs. Snakes and bugs? Well, I avoid them. Personally, I don't witness the connection between the chicken and the egg. My eggs are in a box on a shelf at the M&S Foodhall. 

I'm looking forward to Easter when I can start the day with this breakfast. 

2FJX8K6.jpg

Nice but instead of "Hot x Buns" you could get teacakes instead.

Allan

Will reply to your last email tomorrow. Just back from a walk and loads of photos to process.

ITMA

I've had a cold for the last few days, which has been normal for me during winter pre Covid. All daily LFT tests have been negative, including one undertaken an hour ago, which is good news for me. Also good that 7 pack or 20 pack LFT's are no longer rarer than hens teeth.

41 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I've had a cold for the last few days, which has been normal for me during winter pre Covid. All daily LFT tests have been negative, including one undertaken an hour ago, which is good news for me. Also good that 7 pack or 20 pack LFT's are no longer rarer than hens teeth.

Still hen's teeth status in these parts. We've visited our local pharmacy on each of the last 4 days only to see a sign apologizing for the lack of kits. Becoming critical as my wife has to go into hospital for a minor procedure late next week and will need evidence of a negative test. She has been booked for a PCR test on Monday, followed by a period of isolation, and we're hoping that she will be able pick up some kits then. 

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Still hen's teeth status in these parts. We've visited our local pharmacy on each of the last 4 days only to see a sign apologizing for the lack of kits. Becoming critical as my wife has to go into hospital for a minor procedure late next week and will need evidence of a negative test. She has been booked for a PCR test on Monday, followed by a period of isolation, and we're hoping that she will be able pick up some kits then. 

Local pharmacies had been displaying no testing kits available and there were no delivery slots since before Christmas. Thursday I noticed the signs had been removed, but as dinner was nearly ready and there was a queue I left. I collected a 7 test kit yesterday, not realising my wife had just collected a 20 kit from the local library earlier in the day. Just in time as I only had 1 test left. Am now on a half empty train heading into London, one of my infrequent trips. Myself and everyone else in the carriage masked. Am a little behind, have some fast walking to do soon.

Edited by sb photos

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

Never heard of a 20 kit but we've had no problem getting 2 or 3 boxes of 7s delivered since Christmas. Just keep trying.

May I ask why you are testing daily if you are not going out daily? If the reason's not private.

I tested daily after OH had a positive, obviously, till she cleared, but otherwise I don't see the advantage.

Edited by spacecadet

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Never heard of a 20 kit but we've had no problem getting 2 or 3 boxes of 7s delivered since Christmas. Just keep trying.

May I ask why you are testing daily if you are not going out daily? If the reason's not private.

I tested daily after OH had a positive, obviously, till she cleared, but otherwise I don't see the advantage.

Even before Covid I would have lingering colds during winter. Having no spleen they would linger, and any cuts would take longer to heal. As I would have coughs, sneezes and etc, OH would hassle me to test, even without any other symptoms. Once before she caught my cold and tested clear with LTF’s, but still went for a PCR test which was negative. 

First I heard of 20 kits was from my daughter, that’s how they delivered to her school. Here only the libraries and county council offices would dish them out, and didn’t require a collection code.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Even before Covid I would have lingering colds during winter. Having no spleen they would linger, and any cuts would take longer to heal. As I would have coughs, sneezes and etc, OH would hassle me to test, even without any other symptoms. Once before she caught my cold and tested clear with LTF’s, but still went for a PCR test which was negative. 

First I heard of 20 kits was from my daughter, that’s how they delivered to her school. Here only the libraries and county council offices would dish them out, and didn’t require a collection code.

One reason for testing very regularly if you have head cold symptoms (as Omicron symptoms are often very similar to head colds) would be to try to verify that you do have Covid early so that you can try to get hold of the newly available drugs that have to taken very soon after developing the disease to be effective. At the moment in England I think you have to be on a special list of immunocompromised (or other vulnerable?) individuals but I read yesterday that the Welsh government is distributing these drugs widely. Not sure how this all works but it might be worth asking your GP if you can be put on a list as the drugs are reputedly very effective.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MDM said:

One reason for testing very regularly if you have head cold symptoms (as Omicron symptoms are often very similar to head colds) would be to try to verify that you do have Covid early so that you can try to get hold of the newly available drugs that have to taken very soon after developing the disease to be effective. At the moment in England I think you have to be on a special list of immunocompromised (or other vulnerable?) individuals but I read yesterday that the Welsh government is distributing these drugs widely. Not sure how this all works but it might be worth asking your GP if you can be put on a list as the drugs are reputedly very effective.

Thanks for highlighting the treatments above. It is strange how things move on. I have been to the doctors a few times over the years with some complaint and was told, "Oh it is just a virus and it would clear up in time." ?????

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic