Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! 

After 9 great granddaughters, 8 yrs old and under, a boy was born on December 21st. His name is Finley, a name that only I might have read in a book.

It’s beginning to grow on me.

Becoming a young mother has paid off because I was also a young grandmother, at an age when a few women were still bearing children. 
Finley might end up playing with dolls, with no boys in the family. He has 3 sisters.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! 

After 9 great granddaughters, 8 yrs old and under, a boy was born on December 21st. His name is Finley, a name that only I might have read in a book.

Becoming a young mother has paid off because I was also a young grandmother, at an age when a few women were still bearing children. 
Finley might end up playing with dolls, with no boys in the family. He has 3 sisters.

I am the opposite.  The other day, I had a physical check-up with my primary physician and the nurse who took my vitals was very chatty.  After noting my age, she asked how many grandkids I had.  I burst out laughing, "none" I replied, saying that my two kids are nowhere near ready for their own kids.  We must be slow around these parts, my two siblings have two adult kids each and no grand children.  No judgement at all, when people are ready (or not), kids are great!  Congrats Betty!!

Merry Christmas! 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

There are a lot of young families in Liverpool; I didn't have that in Lower Manhattan. The young kids and the family thing lifts my spirts. Some people believe in the future, it seems. Dogs lift my spirits too. 

I never met a dog I didn’t like. Except the German Shepherd that made me jump back in the car through my rolled down window. If I’d tried to open the door, that side of the car would have been painted a different color.
Most dogs like me, but that one was a loose guard dog that didn’t appreciate my wanting to knock on the door to ask permission to fish in the owner’s farm pond. It didn’t like my gentle talking to it and slow approach. I still don’t know how I outran it. Terror gave me superpowers, I guess. Plus I turned to go when I saw its hackles rise.  It was a short run, though.

Yes, I was young and stupid. All of 16 years old. The other three sitting in the car had enough sense to stay there. Only I thought I could gentle it. I had never failed before. That’s my glass half-full optimism, and karma for teasing them for their cowardliness when it was simply common sense. I did learn a hard lesson, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I could easily become a vegetarian, we eat very little meat, but you paint a rather bleak picture of the lives led by animals bred for meat. In the UK animal welfare is generally well observed, the stock live most of their lives outdoors in reasonably natural conditions, while the end is swift and painless. They only exist due to the fact that people want to eat them. No doubt there is some abuse, but, significantly, that makes the headlines when reported. More of an issue for me is the inefficiency of the process, growing grain etc as animal feedstock is probably something we shouldn't be doing as we struggle to feed the human population against a background of global warming.

The UK is light years ahead of Canada and the US when it comes to animal welfare. I won't go into detail. After all it's Christmastime. That said, I read an astounding statistic not long ago -- reportedly over 80 billion animals are killed every year for human consumption. Best of luck with the oat milk.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, etc. to everyone, and a happy New Year.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! 

Congratulations, Betty! After nine girls, having a boy must be very exciting! That’s great news.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I never met a dog I didn’t like. Except the German Shepherd that made me jump back in the car through my rolled down window. If I’d tried to open the door, that side of the car would have been painted a different color.
Most dogs like me, but that one was a loose guard dog that didn’t appreciate my wanting to knock on the door to ask permission to fish in the owner’s farm pond. It didn’t like my gentle talking to it and slow approach. I still don’t know how I outran it. Terror gave me superpowers, I guess. Plus I turned to go when I saw its hackles rise.  It was a short run, though.

Yes, I was young and stupid. All of 16 years old. The other three sitting in the car had enough sense to stay there. Only I thought I could gentle it. I had never failed before. That’s my glass half-full optimism, and karma for teasing them for their cowardliness when it was simply common sense. I did learn a hard lesson, though.

Like you, Betty, I tend to get along well with most dogs.  If they don't sense fear or a threat, most will accept you fairly quickly.  Two of the girls, who came to the cabin, this past long weekend, brought their dogs (fortunately the AirBnB owner is pet friendly).  One is a pure Rottweiler and the other part pit bull, they were both sweet gentle dogs.  One day the girls all went off to the nearby town and I stayed back and dog sat.  They both cried a bit when their "moms" left but they played nicely with me.  I should really get a dog but I just hate all the shedding of fur...even short hair dogs shed.  I still have fur all over the back seat of my car...but glad they came along.

My daughter is on the far left.  The Rottweiler (Chutney) is the black dog on the bed and the part pit bull (Goose) is in the foreground.  I love the diversity of my daughter's friends, the one sitting next to her is half Samoan, the one closest on the right is has East Indian parents and the one in the chair has parents from Iran

Luray1-X2.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

Like you, Betty, I tend to get along well with most dogs.  If they don't sense fear or a threat, most will accept you fairly quickly.  Two of the girls, who came to the cabin, this past long weekend, brought their dogs (fortunately the AirBnB owner is pet friendly).  One is a pure Rottweiler and the other part pit bull, they were both sweet gentle dogs.  One day the girls all went off to the nearby town and I stayed back and dog sat.  They both cried a bit when their "moms" left but they played nicely with me.  I should really get a dog but I just hate all the shedding of fur...even short hair dogs shed.  I still have fur all over the back seat of my car...but glad they came along.

My daughter is on the far left.  The Rottweiler (Chutney) is the black dog on the bed and the part pit bull (Goose) is in the foreground.  I love the diversity of my daughter's friends, the one sitting next to her is half Samoan, the one closest on the right is has East Indian parents and the one in the chair has parents from Iran

Luray1-X2.jpg

Michael, I had poodles and later, a Yorkie. None of them shed, other than like you shed. We all lose hairs, that’s why some food preparers wear hairnets. Those two breeds shed only like we do. That’s why I had them. Like you, I don’t like an abundance of pet hair, dogs or cats.

Both breeds are intelligent, another need for me. Poodles are sweet and playful, my Yorkie was the smartest dog I ever had. Yorkie have a lot of energy, that’s the terrier part. But I found throwing a rubber toy for her to fetch gave her exercise, along with a walk a few times a week. Both breeds are loyal, and seem to know when you are sick. My Yorkie wouldn’t leave my side when I was in bed ill for days. We had to bring her food and water bowls to set by my bed. My husband had to physically pick her up and put her out to do her business.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

What a fine looking group of young women (and dogs). Their story sounds like a wonderful one of both fun and support. I’m sure it warms your heart to watch them all as they navigate life through friendship. And there’s that lovely view!!!

I’d love to have a dog, but I also want to get back to traveling for a few months at a time. I’ve enjoyed my children's’ dogs and have willingly dog-sat when it also meant I could stay in a tiny NYC apartment, or up in the mountains of Northern Arizona. Here’s a photo of my favorite. She’s quite elderly now and we almost lost her a few weeks ago. However, with antibiotics she’s rallied and sees to be back to her old self. She’s been by my daughter’s side through good times and bad, and will be terribly missed when her time comes. She’s part retriever, part pointer, and probably a lot of other things. Sheds like crazy, too. I’m still finding hair from her October visit. 

bright-alert-elderly-dog-crouched-on-col

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! 

Merry Christmas to you too Betty! And congratulations on the little one.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, MDM said:

I've been vegetarian for over 44 years 😇 since May 1977. I became vegetarian partly because I love animals (I could not look a bullock or a lamb straight in the face) and partly for health reasons (massive benefits for the digestive system)

I can't stand soya milk and I have never tried oat milk. My farmer uncle taught me how to milk a cow when I was a kid but he never taught me how to milk an oat. I could never be a vegan - I love cheese too much.

I have similar feelings about animals. In a hunter-gatherer society, I'd have to hang out with the gatherers. 🤠

Personally, I think that the current availability of different "milks" -- oat, almond, soy, etc. -- is a really positive development, especially for people who are lactose intolerant or have allergies. In Canada, dairy milk alternatives are fortified with essential nutrients like vitamin D and B12 (very important for vegans). Also, the fact is that the dairy industry is not much more sustainable (or less abusive) than the meat industry.

• Love 3

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The UK is light years ahead of Canada and the US when it comes to animal welfare. I won't go into detail. After all it's Christmastime. That said, I read an astounding statistic not long ago -- reportedly over 80 billion animals are killed every year for human consumption. Best of luck with the oat milk.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, etc. to everyone, and a happy New Year.

Talking about 80 billion animals killed for food each year reminds me of a turkey that survived the Christmas massacre. The Turkey featured in a magazine cartoon many years ago and was difficult to forget.

A family fattened a turkey for Christmas, but the turkey had other ideas. The head of the family held the turkeys legs and its head over the chopping board. As the meat cleaver was swung down the turkey pulled away and the persons hand was chopped off. Each family member attempted to chop off the turkeys head, and each lost a hand. The turkey had enough and ran away. Next we see the family sitting around a table, each with bandages around one wrist and an eating utensil held by the good hand. The head of the family said waste not want not as they tucked into a huge pie with hands and fingers sticking through the pastry. My Christmas dinner will be based around a veggie quorn roast.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I have similar feelings about animals. In a hunter-gatherer society, I'd have to hang out with the gatherers. 🤠

Personally, I think that the current availability of different "milks" -- oat, almond, soy, etc. -- is a really positive development, especially for people who are lactose intolerant or have allergies. In Canada, dairy milk alternatives are fortified with essential nutrients like vitamin D and B12 (very important for vegans). Also, the fact is that the dairy industry is not much more sustainable (or less abusive) than the meat industry.

I agree about the availability of the various milks. I never liked soya milk but must give oat milk a try. I always use organic milk (not a lot) and cheese when available which they normally are and which supposedly have much higher standards for the treatment of the animals. 

53 minutes ago, sb photos said:

My Christmas dinner will be based around a veggie quorn roast.

Ours is a roast of ground cashews, chick peas, wholemeal breadcrumbs, oats, onions, garlic, various herbs and olive oil - all organic. Oats are great for binding it together. I made it yesterday to let it season a bit. Looking forward to it now.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Merry Christmas everyone.  Congratulations Betty on your new arrival.

I would like to thank you all for all your help this year when I've had iMac and/or iPhone problems, you've all been amazing xx

Carol

Merry Christmas to you Carol !

19 minutes ago, Dave Nelson said:

Merry Christmas to all from our family of 4 Labrador Retrievers

Dave, Maddy, Bodey, Mocha and Boomer

Hungry black Labrador Retriever puppy holding her food dish Stock PhotoChocolate Labrador retriever looking at plate on dining room table Stock PhotoTwo Chocolate Labs sleeping. Stock Photo

Merry Christmas Dave and doggies. You must be a good man if you have labradors. I would love one but cannot with my itchy feet lifestyle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Nelson said:

Merry Christmas to all from our family of 4 Labrador Retrievers

Dave, Maddy, Bodey, Mocha and Boomer

Hungry black Labrador Retriever puppy holding her food dish Stock PhotoChocolate Labrador retriever looking at plate on dining room table Stock PhotoTwo Chocolate Labs sleeping. Stock Photo

Merry Christmas to you and pooches, Dave, and to everyone. I loved visiting your neck of the woods on vacation some years ago. It was autumn, and spectacular. We did the run from Connecticut to Maine, and the states west of those coastal states, then down through the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Bah humbug etc 😉

Preparing for our Xmas day walk, but where to go?   The air temperature is higher at the coast, but the east wind stronger there. Inland of us historic Durham city is colder, but less windy, the predicted "feels like" temperature is minus 1 degC in both locations.   Need to be well wrapped up., mitts rather than gloves, I won't be taking many photos.

• Alamy locked this topic