Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Betty LaRue

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s what I was seeing on National news. Several semis jackknifed and caused a traffic snarl that went miles and miles. They reported there was about 4 inches of ice under the snow. I’m wondering about power outages to residents.


Yes, there were power outages throughout the DC area, my lights flickered at times but no outage for me.  I believe the vast majority of outages are now restored.  What happened in Virginia, was that it started as rain, coming up from the south, in the night, so they couldn’t pre-treat the roads with salt or it would have washed away and then the temps dropped fast, as a cold front was pushing in from the west. The rain turned to snow and rain water on the roads turned to ice.  Just a real bad weather combo.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My younger sister and brother in-law were heading south in that mess (pulling their motor home, which is their permanent living space). It took them three hours to travel just a couple of miles at one point. Fortunately they were finally able to get off the road and shelter in a parking lot over night.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


Yes, we got about 7 inches of heavy icy snow yesterday and that area in Virginia, not that far from me, got a foot.  Not sure if the news made to Europe, but a 50 mile stretch of the most heavily travel roadway on the east coast of the U.S. (route 95), came to a complete standstill for over 24 hours, after a bunch of trucks (lorries) got stuck on the icy road.  Many many cars were also stuck all day and night in about 20 degree F temps(roughly -7C).  What a nightmare for those poor people…but the good news is there were no deaths or serious injuries reported.  Just heard that they are only now reopening the highway after 36 hours of being shutdown 

 

This puts my weather concerns into perspective. We've recently had a spell of unseasonably warm temperatures, which have caused my overwintering broad beans to grow like crazy, they're far too big and soft to withstand any severe cold that might come along, and the winter is only just getting under way. But us gardeners and farmers always need something to moan about.... 

 

Overnight temperatures here are now hovering around the freezing point with not much improvement through the day, but there is the prospect of milder conditions come the weekend. There's a long way to go, February can be very nasty, a good time to head for the sun, but travel restrictions and air travel guilt will put a stop to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


Yes, there were power outages throughout the DC area, my lights flickered at times but no outage for me.  I believe the vast majority of outages are now restored.  What happened in Virginia, was that it started as rain, coming up from the south, in the night, so they couldn’t pre-treat the roads with salt or it would have washed away and then the temps dropped fast, as a cold front was pushing in from the west. The rain turned to snow and rain water on the roads turned to ice.  Just a real bad weather combo.

 

A couple of interesting things regarding that big icy traffic mess on the I-95 highway.  First, I went to my usual grocery store this morning and there was no milk, bread and many other essential items and I stopped and asked a woman, about it, who was trying restock shelves and she told me that no deliveries have come since the snowstorm the other day and many trucks were caught in that bad traffic jam.   Then I watched the news and there was a heart warming story about a truck driver who was hauling a full load of bread and stuck in the traffic, he decided to hand it all out to the people stuck in their cars.  I think he did the right thing and I am sure the bread company will get some good PR out of it.  So I didn't mind at all that some of items I was looking to get, were not there.

  • Love 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

A couple of interesting things regarding that big icy traffic mess on the I-95 highway.  First, I went to my usual grocery store this morning and there was no milk, bread and many other essential items and I stopped and asked a woman, about it, who was trying restock shelves and she told me that no deliveries have come since the snowstorm the other day and many trucks were caught in that bad traffic jam.   Then I watched the news and there was a heart warming story about a truck driver who was hauling a full load of bread and stuck in the traffic, he decided to hand it all out to the people stuck in their cars.  I think he did the right thing and I am sure the bread company will get some good PR out of it.  So I didn't mind at all that some of items I was looking to get, were not there.

That’s the kind of story that renews your faith in mankind.  
When the Oklahoma City bombing happened, it was in April during a nice weather spell. Rescuers flooded in from other states to help. The weather turned cold and wet, and a call on TV was made for warm, sturdy boots and socks for the rescue teams.

A workman, who had just gotten off his job, drove up to the barrier and took the boots off his feet and handed them to a police officer. ❤️ Masseurs gave free massages to them, they got hot food, haircuts, and food & services for the rescue & cadaver dogs, free. People have big hearts when disaster strikes.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s a very nice thing to say, Edo.

 

I have met Edo and yes he is a very nice worldly gentleman.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I have met Edo and yes he is a very nice worldly gentleman.

 

Allan

 

 

Thank you, Allan. I found you a very charming person yourself. 

 

Mark, maybe in a less virus-filled future, I might get down to London. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Thank you, Allan. I found you a very charming person yourself. 

 

Mark, maybe in a less virus-filled future, I might get down to London. 

 

Thank you Edo.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the moment I have three zooms and all three searches have less than a full page for each search.      TWO of my three images positions in the searches appear at the left of the top line in each corresponding page which I take to be top of search.  (Which would be very good if we were using the old BHZ search).

 

The third image is a mystery. There is only about half a page for this particular search but my zoomed image does NOT appear on the page at all?

It is either soo good that it is off the top of the page or soo bad it does not appear a the bottom.

 

Good thing?  My images are still appearing near the top of searches even if they are not selling.

 

Allan

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a call today from Grays of Westminster telling me that my SB5000 flashgun has been repaired and is on its way back to me. It had simply died back in - when I tried to turn it on I got an error message and nothing I tried worked. The flashgun is well outside the Nikon warranty period of one year but fortunately I had taken out a Nikon Owner Magazine subscription with Grays at the time I bought the flashgun which included a 3 year warranty on new equipment so it has been repaired free of charge by Nikon.

 

This is the second time I have had equipment repaired under a Grays of Westminster warranty. Previously I had the sensor replaced by Nikon on my D850 as there was a tiny scratch on the sensor from the time I bought it. I had not noticed it originally and then figured it was probably some sort of dirt but when I took it for cleaning I was told it was a scratch. I was able to demonstrate that it had been there when I bought it as I had raw images that I had taken very soon after buying the camera which showed clearly showed the scratch. 

 

I normally don't take out extended warranties but they had given a healthy discount on the subscription which included access to electronic versions of the magazine back to the first issue as well as the extended warranty. I am very glad I did as the repairs would have been extremely expensive (the sensor replacement alone would have been over £1000).

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always a calculation to be made.

I have never had equipment insurance, but then I've never paid more than £600 for any one item. And that was a 500C kit in 1983. When a DSLR goes ping I buy a new one. replacement.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I entered the Nikon arena a few years ago and bought a new D750, which was a newish model at the time, from Greys.  I received a request from Nikon to return it for a sensor replacement a few months later.  When It came back the new sensor was covered in a load of crap. So I put in a complaint to Nikon. While waiting for their reply I cleaned the sensor myself.  Later I received Nikon's reply asking me to send it in for cleaning.  Told them it had already been cleaned and was fine now. Which it was.  Never received an apology or offer of refund of costs for the cleaning.

 

Note I was not new to cleaning sensors as I had Canon cameras before the Nikon and I was always having to clean their sensors.

 

Since I moved to Sony I have never had a problem. Just the VERY occasional sensor clean.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I entered the Nikon arena a few years ago and bought a new D750, which was a newish model at the time, from Greys.  I received a request from Nikon to return it for a sensor replacement a few months later.  When It came back the new sensor was covered in a load of crap. So I put in a complaint to Nikon. While waiting for their reply I cleaned the sensor myself.  Later I received Nikon's reply asking me to send it in for cleaning.  Told them it had already been cleaned and was fine now. Which it was.  Never received an apology or offer of refund of costs for the cleaning.

 

Note I was not new to cleaning sensors as I had Canon cameras before the Nikon and I was always having to clean their sensors.

 

Since I moved to Sony I have never had a problem. Just the VERY occasional sensor clean.

 

Allan

 

 

I recall a few recalls on some early D750s for shutter replacement, not sensor replacement. Perhaps Nikon outsourced the shutter replacements as I have never had a bad repair from Nikon themselves yet (tempting fate perhaps with my flashgun on its way back). If it was still under warranty at the time, then you might have been better getting in touch with Grays directly rather than Nikon, as Grays have top class customer service in my experience. You could almost certainly have had it professionally cleaned for nothing. 

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MDM said:

 

I recall a few recalls on some early D750s for shutter replacement, not sensor replacement. Perhaps Nikon outsourced the shutter replacements as I have never had a bad repair from Nikon themselves yet (tempting fate perhaps with my flashgun on its way back). If it was still under warranty at the time, then you might have been better getting in touch with Grays directly rather than Nikon, as Grays have top class customer service in my experience. You could almost certainly have had it professionally cleaned for nothing. 

 

It was Nikon who contacted me so It was dealt with through them and not Grey's.  I was not going to be without a camera while waiting for Nikon so, as I was already experienced at Sensor cleaning, I did it myself.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My central heating controller started glitching, so I opened it up* expecting a dead backup battery or capacitor. Neither of those components had leaked, and while the battery does need replacing it wasn't likely to be the cause of the problem. There was a sooty surface mount resistor which should really be replaced, but after cleaning it up the controller worked, so I won't change anything before summer unless it starts playing up again.


*Compulsory warning not to do this unless you know what you are doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

My central heating controller started glitching, so I opened it up* expecting a dead backup battery or capacitor. Neither of those components had leaked, and while the battery does need replacing it wasn't likely to be the cause of the problem. There was a sooty surface mount resistor which should really be replaced, but after cleaning it up the controller worked, so I won't change anything before summer unless it starts playing up again.


*Compulsory warning not to do this unless you know what you are doing.

Relays are a good (or rather bad) candidate for failure if there are any. But you would have noticed- they tend to burn the board around their solder joints.

I googled the model when ours toasted itself- turned out to be a design fault that was corrected in the new old stock replacement I got off ebay. That was about 8 years ago but they're still on ebay..

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Relays are a good (or rather bad) candidate for failure if there are any. But you would have noticed- they tend to burn the board around their solder joints.

I googled the model when ours toasted itself- turned out to be a design fault that was corrected in the new old stock replacement I got off ebay. That was about 8 years ago but they're still on ebay..

 

If the boiler is that old I would think most people have a new boiler fitted hence the surplus of spare parts for yours.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

If the boiler is that old I would think most people have a new boiler fitted hence the surplus of spare parts for yours.

 

Allan

 

They are mostly refurbs but some new old stock, the same as when I did the replacement. Or you can get an exchange replacement, just like for car alternators, starters and the like. The boiler is 2003. Not so old. I descaled it as well and may do so again so I would expect it to see us out. Assuming we can still afford the gas.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.