Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Edo, I don't know if you saw the news about a terrible fire in the Bronx. It was apparently the smoke that was killing people... 19 dead and 13 critical in the hospital. I know you lost a tremendous amount in your fire but I am so grateful that you didn't lose your life.

Paulette

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Betty, we're all wishing you the best results with your operation on Thursday and hope to have you return to the forum soon.

Edo

That means a lot to me, Edo. Thank you.

I just gave myself a mani-pedi after showering and using a body disinfectant I have to bathe with for 4 days. 
Next is to scrub Echo’s cage, then sweep and mop floors. I’ve already printed out instructions on Echo’s feeding, and written down all important passwords…in case. I’m also gathering things to take to the hospital. I have to do something, sit & rest, then get up for the next chore. Takes a while.
Two days ago, my neighbor drove me to a loaner medical supply business run by volunteers, and I got a nice walker with wheels, brakes and a seat. I expect I’ll need it for a few weeks. It cost me $25 and I can keep it as long as I need it, even years. My main worry is whether I’ll be able to get out of bed by myself for the first week or two.

Home Health care will provide me with 1-2 visits a day as long as I want. My daughters will also help. It’s those times in the middle of the night that I hope I can get up out of bed if the bathroom is needed, when nobody is around. I do have my grit & determination, but I’m not sure if my body will cooperate.

I still have 2 days to do what’s left to do.

I have faith, and I believe God will be with me. It’s comforting.

Soon as I’m coherent and my eyes uncross, I’ll check in. They say I’ll be in the hospital a minimum of 3 days, so it might be after I’m home.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just gave myself a mani-pedi after showering and using a body disinfectant I have to bathe with for 4 days. 
Next is to scrub Echo’s cage, then sweep and mop floors. I’ve already printed out instructions on Echo’s feeding, and written down all important passwords…in case. I’m also gathering things to take to the hospital. I have to do something, sit & rest, then get up for the next chore. Takes a while.
Two days ago, my neighbor drove me to a loaner medical supply business run by volunteers, and I got a nice walker with wheels, brakes and a seat. I expect I’ll need it for a few weeks. It cost me $25 and I can keep it as long as I need it, even years. My main worry is whether I’ll be able to get out of bed by myself for the first week or two.

Home Health care will provide me with 1-2 visits a day as long as I want. My daughters will also help. It’s those times in the middle of the night that I hope I can get up out of bed if the bathroom is needed, when nobody is around. I do have my grit & determination, but I’m not sure if my body will cooperate.

Soon as I’m coherent and my eyes uncross, I’ll check in. They say I’ll be in the hospital a minimum of 3 days, so it might be after I’m home.

I would echo Edo's sentiment. Best wishes Betty and looking forward to hearing from you when you check into the forum post op.

• Love 2

My US bank reported that the full amount of $16.92 from royalties was deposited.  That's the Alamy money that bounced when I closed my Nicaraguan bank account.  The Nicaraguan bank generally took $20 as a minimum for deposits into my account, so depositing into my US bank will work better (and make up some of the difference in the percentage if I can clear the minimum gross for licenses). 

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good luck Betty.  Hope all goes well.

Jill

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hope everything goes OK and you wake up after the operation with no pain and no back pain ever more.😘

Allan

Thank you, but I’m told I will have pretty horrible post operative pain. It’s something to be gotten through and I can do it. Knowing what’s ahead is half of the battle.  I’m told I’ll need powerful pain meds, which I hate the idea of because…I just do. I don’t like a clouded mind. I’ll be off them as quickly as I can manage. But the evermore after that, Allan, I’m all in for!  I’m thinking maybe 2-3 weeks and I’ll be driving again. And I’m looking sooo forward to being able to walk more than a half block! I want to get back in shape. I’ve remained slender, but the muscle tone needs work. 😄

I’ve envied you all when you speak of taking long photographic walks.

John had a hip replacement, and now speaks of walking every day. That’s my goal, or at least 3 times a week.

Edited by Betty LaRue

32 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, but I’m told I will have pretty horrible post operative pain. It’s something to be gotten through and I can do it. Knowing what’s ahead is half of the battle.  I’m told I’ll need powerful pain meds, which I hate the idea of because…I just do. I don’t like a clouded mind. I’ll be off them as quickly as I can manage. But the evermore after that, Allan, I’m all in for!  I’m thinking maybe 2-3 weeks and I’ll be driving again. And I’m looking sooo forward to being able to walk more than a half block! I want to get back in shape. I’ve remained slender, but the muscle tone needs work. 😄

I’ve envied you all when you speak of taking long photographic walks.

John had a hip replacement, and now speaks of walking every day. That’s my goal, or at least 3 times a week.

Yes, having a realistic warning of what may be ahead for you is better than being unhappily surprised.  I know there are cynics out there but I doubt your doctors would recommend doing this operation if they didn't feel it would be very beneficial for you, in the long run.  I am like you in that I hate taking pain meds any more than really needed.  When I broke my arm badly a few years ago, what ever they shot me up with really took the edge off and was welcoming, but once in the cast, I was done with pain meds.

I hope you are rewarded with lots of nice sales while recovering!!

Michael

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, having a realistic warning of what may be ahead for you is better than being unhappily surprised.  I know there are cynics out there but I doubt your doctors would recommend doing this operation if they didn't feel it would be very beneficial for you, in the long run.  I am like you in that I hate taking pain meds any more than really needed.  When I broke my arm badly a few years ago, what ever they shot me up with really took the edge off and was welcoming, but once in the cast, I was done with pain meds.

I hope you are rewarded with lots of nice sales while recovering!!

Michael

I get you!

A year ago, my cardiologist ordered a chemical stress test, because my back didn’t allow me to do the treadmill. I was not told that I could have a bad reaction. When the drugs hit my bloodstream, I had severe, crushing chest pain, through to my back, neck and arms. I couldn’t breath, it was like there was no oxygen, I was gasping, clawing at my chest, waving my arms around. I thought I was having a heart attack. All of the classic symptoms were there. Three people attending me were patting me and saying it would get better.

When it was done, I told them “never again.” Then when I saw my cardiologist, I let him know I would never go through that again, and shame on them for not warning me that the reaction I had was a possibility. If I know what “could” happen in any test or procedure, I mentally prepare myself, and if the worst happens, fear and panic isn’t a part of the equation. I truly thought I was having the Big One. Goodbye. Adios. Sayonara. I’m still furious.

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I get you!

A year ago, my cardiologist ordered a chemical stress test, because my back didn’t allow me to do the treadmill. I was not told that I could have a bad reaction. When the drugs hit my bloodstream, I had severe, crushing chest pain, through to my back, neck and arms. I couldn’t breath, it was like there was no oxygen, I was gasping, clawing at my chest, waving my arms around. I thought I was having a heart attack. All of the classic symptoms were there. Three people attending me were patting me and saying it would get better.

When it was done, I told them “never again.” Then when I saw my cardiologist, I let him know I would never go through that again, and shame on them for not warning me that the reaction I had was a possibility. If I know what “could” happen in any test or procedure, I mentally prepare myself, and if the worst happens, fear and panic isn’t a part of the equation. I truly thought I was having the Big One. Goodbye. Adios. Sayonara. I’m still furious.

Yes, I remember when that happened to you.  I too needed a stress test and my cardiologist wanted me to do it chemically and my nurse daughter begged me to do the treadmill even if it hurt.  It was after your experience and so I had your story and my daughter's insistence in mind, and so I said, no, I will do the treadmill.  I know in your case, you didn't have much of a choice.  Oh and BTW, they never told me about possible reactions either.

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, I remember when that happened to you.  I too needed a stress test and my cardiologist wanted me to do it chemically and my nurse daughter begged me to do the treadmill even if it hurt.  It was after your experience and so I had your story and my daughter's insistence in mind, and so I said, no, I will do the treadmill.  I know in your case, you didn't have much of a choice.  Oh and BTW, they never told me about possible reactions either.

Good for you, Michael. Forewarned is forearmed. Bless your daughter. Smart girl.

OH had to miss a posh dinner due to self-isolating so I did tortiglioni in salsa (couldn't get bigoli). Reasonably successful, I didn't really manage to reduce the onions enough but it was suitably anchovoid.

A photograph, you say? With nice studio lighting? Not a chance. She was so hungry that I would never have reached the kitchen door if I'd tried to get to the studio.

Oh and BTW, no symptoms except a sniffle, she only knew she had it because she'd tested to go out to lunch. Clear after 5 days. I didn't get it either.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

OH had to miss a posh dinner due to self-isolating so I did tortiglioni in salsa (couldn't get bigoli). Reasonably successful, I didn't really manage to reduce the onions enough but it was suitably anchovoid.

A photograph, you say? With nice studio lighting? Not a chance. She was so hungry that I would never have reached the kitchen door if I'd tried to get to the studio.

Oh and BTW, no symptoms except a sniffle, she only knew she had it because she'd tested to go out to lunch. Clear after 5 days. I didn't get it either.

Hmm. I don't think I've ever had either of those pasta types.

53 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmm. I don't think I've ever had either of those pasta types.

Bigoli are Venetian fat spaghetti.

What was described on the packet as tortiglioni actually look like big fusilli (the helical type).  But Sainsbury's call them tortiglioni. Everyone else thinks tortiglioni are tubular. So hey, what do I know. I just cook 'em. As long as the sauce sticks, I'm ahead.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/macaroni---tubes-44/pasta-carmiano-tortiglioni-500g

Edit: I see "tortiglione" just means twist or spiral. So as long as it twists or spirals, I guess.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

“My Last Supper” before surgery, that is. Both daughters and a son-in-law will dine with me this evening. We have ordered from Texas Roadhouse.

I’ll be having Pulled pork, loaded baked potato and green beans. Yum.

Roomba is busy cleaning my floors. I have my bag packed. My surgery team will get to see my face in all its unmade-up glory. I hope they don’t fall into a wrinkle. A reminder of a life well-lived.
Echo loves watching Bella (Roomba) I need to trim her nails. Will do that now.

My tummy is flipping.

See ya on the backside.

• Love 2

$5,000 in grant funds landed in my account today from a business incubator program i completed in December, so that is a nice way to start the year.

I've set my goals & resolutions for 2022. Reading through those from 2021, I managed 9 of them.

I was miserably sick the past week (not Covid) and while that was a bad thing, I finally got out of bed today - yay! And discovered that I lost 5 pounds (yay again!), so already on my way toward one of this year's resolutions (15 lbs to go). I got a fitness watch for Christmas and until I got sick, I was doing well with daily steps and calories. Running after my 3-year-old grandson helped even when we hit sub-zero (-10 F with the windchill). Increasing my exercise level has really helped me to sleep better too. Amazing how a couple of weeks of concerted effort can make a noticable difference.

Since food is on people's mind, my SIL is making me fresh-baked GF bread. I haven't had warm bread in over 10 years, so looking forward to it. 

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic