PA Media Group acquires Alamy

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This is the beginning of the end...

The beginning of the end started years ago.☹️

I wouldn't mind the takeover if it meant the end of PU, presentation use and the UK newspaper scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iain Masterton said:

I expect it will be for me. PA will be looking to milk Alamy and there is only one place I see that cash coming from...

Will have to start selling directly to clients a lot more. Seems stupid to put your future income in the hands of others

Yeah, it may be time to move on.  Doing alright on my own recently, lots of thinking to do...

1 minute ago, FCP said:

Can anybody remember any actual improvements, or even "business as usual", coming out of a transaction like that within the last 10 years in stock photography?

Sadly, no, not in my experience which goes back 20 years. 

7 minutes ago, Iain Masterton said:

I expect it will be for me. PA will be looking to milk Alamy and there is only one place I see that cash coming from...

Will have to start selling directly to clients a lot more. Seems stupid to put your future income in the hands of others

https://www.alamy.com/blog/interview-iain-masterton

This is you? You're featured in one of Alamy's blogs but have no faith in them?? 🙂

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Just now, Matt Ashmore said:

This is you? You're featured in one of Alamy's blogs but have no faith?? 🙂

Yes that's me.

I've made a living from Alamy but see little future now.....the sale today was entirely predictable. Just hoped it would take a few more years.

• Like 2

Based on past history of corporate acquisitions I'm questioning whether to suspend submitting new images until contributors get a truly clear vision for Alamy going forward. 

PA Media Group is owned by and answerable to 20 large shareholder corporations and is not a Mom & Pop media company  https://pamediagroup.com/about-us/

Alamy no doubt will now be subject to the needs of PAMG's balance sheet to satisfy it's corporate shareholders.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

I have covered several live news events, even last weekend where you would find ourself working side by side and competing with a P.A. photographer. Could this change in the future in which P.A. would arrange for an Alamy shooter to cover the live news events. The P.A. photographer I was talking to at the weekend, uploads his images live via a transmitter/dongle to the news desk, the images would assume be edited, captioned and headlines and binged out to potential customers. Now this would be good if Alamy adopts this system. 

Edited by Alan Beastall
  • Love 1

I've lost £800 ( or was it $?) in commission since the exclusivity change in Nov 2018 - that was my penalty for being honest.

We were promised that this money would be used to finance improvements. The real reason is now apparent.

I don't think I could be a CEO.

Cultural values???

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 7

Think you'll be able to judge in about 12 months  time what changes if any will be made. The main fear of course being further lowered commissions. The jury's out then !

This eventually explains the commission change. All those words about "we need more money to expand our business overseas" and the like were, as many said, just BS. As I wrote in this forum at the time, no serious company funds itself that way; the only explanation was that they needed to quickly increase (inflate?) their profits for some other reason. Now we know what that reason was. I am not very confident about the future, at least in my case. PA seems more oriented towards live news, and I shoot architecture, art and landscapes. Yet, I don't want to be over pessimistic. Time will tell.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

I have covered several live news events, even last weekend where you would find ourself working side by side and competing with a P.A. photographer. Could this change in the future in which P.A. would arrange for an Alamy shooter to cover the live news events. The P.A. photographer I was talking to at the weekend, uploads his images live via a transmitter/dongle to the news desk, the images would assume be edited, captioned and headlines and binged out to potential customers. Now this would be good if Alamy adopts this system. 

and they likely have to reassure their own distribution arm in area of competition.   

I think if I was PA Media and has just acquired a new business, I wouldn't be in any great rush to upset the contributors, so I wouldn't expect any early changes while they delve into understanding what they have acquired. Assuming they have bought it to generate an income stream (as opposed to removing a competitor -which would be a somewhat costly option ) I'd expect a period of grace before they make any rash decisions.
There again, I know as much as anyone else - major players apart.