Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I wonder if there will be any answers at The Photography Show next month?

 

I doubt there will be anymore than announced elsewhere.  May visit the Photography Show anyway, wasn't planning to visit, though likely to combine with with some other activities.

Edited by sb photos
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

bring a business card just for fun, at one their nyc photo shows I've seen them setup a fishbowl for business cards under the guise of possibly winning a raffle of100% commission for one year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After the changes in the past year or so, I'm not surprised about the sale, I was frankly expecting it.

 

I share your concern @John Mitchell   As a US photographer with primarily US travel images, I envision my sales here continuing to erode with this new owner - sure, I've seen my US travel and other images in British media, but more of my images here have been licensed to US buyers, so even without downward pressure on licensing fees, I fear that my images are not going to be on the right platform here

 

@imageplotter I have a few clients who license stock directly from me and getting more of them would be prudent. Time to send out query letters. 

 

My first Alamy license of February showed up today - 10 years RM image, $15, I will earn $7.50 (One of my few Alamy exclusive photos - I get a whole $1.50 more - hooray!  🥳 🙄).  This is sadly the highest license I've earned here in some months. By comparison, "s"  licensed a photo of a brick wall of mine today and I earned over $20 for it; it was not my first license there this month, nor was it my highest single license in the past month. Sad when single micro downloads earn more than RM images, when it's not a one-off thing.In fact,  I've even had Alamy licenses the last few months where I earned less than I do from the average micro subscription download, truly depressing.   I'm not touting "s" over Alamy by any stretch of the imagination, neither site is performing in a way that seems sustainable from what I can see. 

 

I am saddened to think that I am in a dying profession, but I think @Richard Tadman 's comparison to miners and milkmen may be more apt than I'd like to believe, and I don't risk my life for my job the way miner's do (though there are many photographers who do). The world changes and we need to figure out how to adapt. I know a fair number of wedding, food, and editorial (assignment) photographers who have changed professions, it's not just stock. 

 

One hopeful note,  when "A" bought "f," license fees increased, license numbers increased, and they made it fairly easy to qualify for a free year of PS & LR for the past couple of years, a nice side perk. Maybe new management will shake things up in a good way. Personally, the newspaper scheme prices would be less irksome if I licensed multiple images to newspapers every day. Though I doubt the British dailies need that many of my USA photos. I've been waiting over 8 months now for Alamy to send me the whopping $7.50 I earned for a photo of mine that appeared in 12 or so US newspapers. Am I wrong to lower my expectations, or would I be foolish not to? Will have to wait and see, but I'm not very hopeful. 

 

Edited by Marianne
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marianne said:

After the changes in the past year or so, I'm not surprised about the sale, I was frankly expecting it.

 

I share your concern @John Mitchell   As a US photographer with primarily US travel images, I envision my sales here continuing to erode with this new owner - sure, I've seen my US travel and other images in British media, but more of my images here have been licensed to US buyers, so even without downward pressure on licensing fees, I fear that my images are not going to be on the right platform here

 

@imageplotter I have a few clients who license stock directly from me and getting more of them would be prudent. Time to send out query letters. 

 

My first Alamy license of February showed up today - 10 years RM image, $15, I will earn $7.50 (One of my few Alamy exclusive photos - I get a whole $1.50 more - hooray!  🥳 🙄).  This is sadly the highest license I've earned here in some months. By comparison, "s"  licensed a photo of a brick wall of mine today and I earned over $20 for it; it was not my first license there this month, nor was it my highest single license in the past month. Sad when single micro downloads earn more than RM images, when it's not a one-off thing.In fact,  I've even had Alamy licenses the last few months where I earned less than I do from the average micro subscription download, truly depressing.   I'm not touting "s" over Alamy by any stretch of the imagination, neither site is performing in a way that seems sustainable from what I can see. 

 

I am saddened to think that I am in a dying profession, but I think @Richard Tadman 's comparison to miners and milkmen may be more apt than I'd like to believe, and I don't risk my life for my job the way miner's do (though there are many photographers who do). The world changes and we need to figure out how to adapt. I know a fair number of wedding, food, and editorial (assignment) photographers who have changed professions, it's not just stock. 

 

One hopeful note,  when "A" bought "f," license fees increased, license numbers increased, and they made it fairly easy to qualify for a free year of PS & LR for the past couple of years, a nice side perk. Maybe new management will shake things up in a good way. Personally, the newspaper scheme prices would be less irksome if I licensed multiple images to newspapers every day. Am I wrong to lower my expectations, or foolish not to? Will have to wait and see. 

 

 

It does seem that Alamy could now become more "news" oriented than it has been, which might benefit UK contributors but leave many of us out in the cold. Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Mitchell said:

 

It does seem that Alamy could now become more "news" oriented than it has been, which might benefit UK contributors but leave many of us out in the cold. Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

 

Sadly, it is a major concern. I worry too that they might even close the NYC office unless this is their push to branch out from the UK? But given that their revenues aren't much greater than Alamy's, this is probably wishful thinking. Who knows. The tiny license I got today was an editorial image taken in a small town in Connecticut and it was licensed to Russia (I think it's Russia - ROW?) so there's an overseas market for everything ... though my Scottish photos taken in 2007 punch above their weight class more than many much better images I've taken since. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Marianne said:

 

Sadly, it is a major concern. I worry too that they might even close the NYC office unless this is their push to branch out from the UK? But given that their revenues aren't much greater than Alamy's, this is probably wishful thinking. Who knows. The tiny license I got today was an editorial image taken in a small town in Connecticut and it was licensed to Russia (I think it's Russia - ROW?) so there's an overseas market for everything ... though my Scottish photos taken in 2007 punch above their weight class more than many much better images I've taken since. 

 

Let's hope not. Closing the NYC office would be a big mistake IMO. The US is still by far the best market for images.

 

My prices have been holding up fairly well -- average $58 per image in 2019 and currently about $50 for 2020. Fortunately, I don't see many of those really low editorial licenses (famous last words). 

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Let's hope not. Closing the NYC office would be a big mistake IMO. The US is still by far the best market for images.

 

My prices have been holding up fairly well -- $58 per image in 2019 and currently about $50 for 2020. Fortunately, I don't see many of those really low editorial licenses (famous last words). 

 

Totally agree - last year my best US license was $250, and most of those over $100 are US periodical or book licenses, with a few advertising thrown in.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Yes, this is what I think it stands for.

As in not UK, EU, US or any of the other specific territories. Russia on its own is "Russian Federation" IME.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone list any positives for contributors, it all seems a little negative and gloomy?
Could the parent company pay more for images from the infant business (for tax purposes)?
Could the media shareholders insist on higher profits for sales, but not try to reduce the cost of the sale with lower commission payments.
Could PA have a more aggressive sales team?
Could PA have more success with infringements?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As in not UK, EU, US or any of the other specific territories. Russia on its own is "Russian Federation" IME.

 

It would be interesting to know Alamy's international/UK buyers ratio. 
Alamy has always been rather UK-oriented, possibly because many of its photographers (and big buyers) are based in Britain.
Yet, PA seems to be even more UK-oriented. I can't imagine subjects more different from what I'm used to picture than the Royal Family, UK football teams, and British celebrities. 
Obviously, PA didn't acquired Alamy to cover those subjects, it already has its channels for that. Nevertheless, at what extent the buyers' profile of Alamy+PA combined will be UK-oriented?

Edited by riccarbi
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

It does seem that Alamy could now become more "news" oriented than it has been, which might benefit UK contributors but leave many of us out in the cold. Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

My view is the reverse.  PA has a well oiled news machine in the UK.  From an economic perspective my guess, and it is no more than that, is that Alamy has been purchased for its stock assets and, perhaps its international offices.  As a 99% UK news shooter I am preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I thought that was Rest of World!

 

LOL thanks - that makes more sense. 

 

 

22 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

My view is the reverse.  PA has a well oiled news machine in the UK.  From an economic perspective my guess, and it is no more than that, is that Alamy has been purchased for its stock assets and, perhaps its international offices.  As a 99% UK news shooter I am preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.  

 

I don't know anything about PA other than reading a bit on their site, but if they have a well-oiled news machine and their shareholders are various news organizations, then perhaps they will be able to use their understanding of the marketplace to expand sales channels - both for UK and international stock. A more promising buyer than a hedge fund as they are in a business where they understand photography and the media's needs.

 

It's all speculation at this point, and we are all so used to doom and gloom it's easy to envision the worst case scenario, but it could be a positive. Now if only the rest of the world paid top dollar, I'd feel more positive. 😎 I'm still cracking up over that blunder,  but honestly I'd never heard it before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

"Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice." I still have the original album. 😎

 

I think I still have the earlier CSN album (without Y), but although this one was better I never bought it because a friend taped it for me.

 

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose one thing PA might consider doing is to spend Alamy's profits for the first year on hiring a few experienced editors to cull the Alamy collection.

 

Alan

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is positive. I was already preparing to give up on Alamy this year due to the continuing falling prices, accelerating during 2019.

 

I have had a look at Pa's editorial offering, what exists outside of sport, celebrity and news leaves a lot to be desired so to my mind there could be an opportunity for increased sales  and provided that is not accompanied by falling prices that is a positive.

 

Lets face it Alamy has been thrashing around like a fish out of water for a couple of years, a positive direction for a change would be very welcome.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I suppose one thing PA might consider doing is to spend Alamy's profits for the first year on hiring a few experienced editors to cull the Alamy collection.

 

Alan

 

I don't see them paying for the collection and then cutting a lot out, they may however be stricter in future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BobD said:

I have had a look at Pa's editorial offering, what exists outside of sport, celebrity and news leaves a lot to be desired so to my mind there could be an opportunity for increased sales  and provided that is not accompanied by falling prices that is a positive.


The point is their customers' profile.
Optimistic: they acquired Alamy to increase their picture offer and expand into the editorial and advertising sectors, as well as their customer base.
Pessimistic: their customers are and will be interested only in News, the Alamy aquisition is based only on financial reasons.

I'm rather toward the optimistic side. I also add Brexit to the recipe; to have a larger base of skilled international photographers could be a plus for UK publishers such as the Guardian, The Telegraph, and the like.

Edited by riccarbi
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit to being a bit worried, as I have all my eggs in Almay's basket, so to speak. Lets hope it all works out OK, as Alamy is my main photography income stream and also represents a massive investment of my time over the last 15years . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think I will stop contributing to my small portfolio I have on here until I see which way the wind is blowing and what the future holds. I am so glad I went non exclusive a few months back as the 2 sites I now contribute to, earn more for me than Alamy ever has, so I will concentrate on uploading in their direction for the forseeable future.

Alamy was becoming increasingly Microstock in any case for the short period of time I have been on here, as I believe they were losing their sense of direction, so were desperately trying to grab any sort of income that they could find, to prop up their decline in revenue.

Unfortunately the "Good Old Day's" are no longer here (and haven't been here for quite some time), so its time to adapt and change for Alamy Contributers, and start to prepare for going towards a more MS type of model.....or of course,  just stop, sit back and reflect on the past good old times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On balance I'm optimistic. I think that a change was needed.

 

For some time it has seemed to me that the entrepreneurial spirit of Alamy's owners was being directed elsewhere. They had taken Alamy as far as they could. Twenty years is a long time and they want new pastures to develop. 

 

No doubt there will be some bumps ahead but let's wait and see what happens. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

Be careful what you wish for 🙄

 

I would not object if it raised the overall quality (and the profile) of the collection in the eyes of buyers, who might then be willing to pay a little more for them.

 

Alan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.