PA Media Group acquires Alamy

2 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

I wouldn't expect any early changes while they delve into understanding what they have acquired. Assuming they have bought it to generate an income stream (as opposed to removing a competitor -which would be a somewhat costly option ) I'd expect a period of grace before they make any rash decisions.

I think they already know what they have acquired. I agree with you that PA probably won't do anything in teh enar future. Nevertheless, they prefectly know WHY they acquired Alamy.
Possibly:
A) To expand their activites in the photo stock market (without changing Alamy's business model much)
B ) To get rid of a competitor
C) To generate an income stream by exploiting Alamy's portfolio (for example increasing PU and bulk discounts as much as they can)
D) ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riccarbi said:

I think they already know what they have acquired. I agree with you that PA probably won't do anything in teh enar future. Nevertheless, they prefectly know WHY they acquired Alamy.
Possibly:
A) To expand their activites in the photo stock market (without changing Alamy's business model much)
B ) To get rid of a competitor
C) To generate an income stream by exploiting Alamy's portfolio (for example increasing PU and bulk discounts as much as they can)
D) ???

I'm sure you are right but there is always a danger to attribute the worst of motives if you are the target company. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic but ultimately the market will decide and that is seriously over-subscribed and rationalising the providers (including we contributors) cannot be discounted.

I would expect that PA will want to use its new Alamy content to compete more actively in the general editoral market with Getty and Shutterstock. 

We will just have to see what happens.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I said debt,  not debts. Perhaps you could look up the definitions.

As far as I know, in 2018, Alamy registered an operating profit of about £1.2M and paid dividends for £760K. So, they had plenty of room to devise a reasonable expansion strategy without great financial risks. Maybe the $2.3M Videoloft Ltd loan was a bit risky move, though. Nevertheless, there were no logical reasons to look for funding by upsetting contributors by cutting their fee percentage. Unless, they were in a hurry to increase the 2019 operating profit...

Edited by riccarbi

Yes we contributors have concerns but.....thinking about Alamy staff and hope that their jobs and future are secure.

It must be unsettling for them.

I am sure that we wish them all the best.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 7

It has been almost one year (March 2019) that they spontaneously culled Live News contributors.  This gives some context to the acquisition.  It can be assumed that the acquisition has been in the works for a year hence the lowering of the commission, culling of Live News Contributors, and the new star system.  The question will be how each of those actions will come into play with the restructuring- will they drop all non-live news contributors? will they cull contributors based on their 'stars' rating? will they cull based on sales amount or number of sales? Like others have stated, when the commission was cut it was not done to fund international expansion but rather to get the books in order for the sale. It will be interesting to see what incremental changes will happen over the coming months. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, rickboden said:

Perhaps this P A Media Group is aquiring Alamy because they want to expand beyond News imagery.  That would be my hope.

I hope that, too. PA images is a relatevely small agency mostly (almost exclusively) focused on news, especially UK's; to acquire Alamy, which has a much larger and diverse collection, just to cover news or kill a competitor would make no sense, arguably. Yet, nobody here knows what PA's strategy about Alamy will be. That makes many of us quite scared, of course.

Edited by riccarbi

39 minutes ago, Homy said:

I read that Alamy has only 100 000 customers worldwide?? No wonder we earn so little and they've been in trouble. I thought they had millions of customers.

100000 seems a pretty big number for a b2b/non-retail business. Considering Alamy's turnover, that would only be $200/year/customer.

Ford only has 12000 dealerships, effectively its customers.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Richard Tadman said:

I think if I was PA Media and has just acquired a new business, I wouldn't be in any great rush to upset the contributors, so I wouldn't expect any early changes while they delve into understanding what they have acquired. Assuming they have bought it to generate an income stream (as opposed to removing a competitor -which would be a somewhat costly option ) I'd expect a period of grace before they make any rash decisions.
There again, I know as much as anyone else - major players apart.

This is what I expect to happen - and history tells us it usually does

I think I'll probably get all my images changed to non exclusive and made rf, then list elsewhere. 

I'm not that good (hopefully just yet) that I can make money 'on my own' and just want to maximise income as much as possible. 

Sales are slow as hell for me here. Makes sense to broaden my possibilities with the inevitable change that will occur here. 

I'm not saying I think the acquisition will be negative (especially for someone like me who makes almost nothing here), but it seems like the smart move for me. 

• Love 1

Alamy reached critical mass some time ago, so I guess most of us realized that something like this had to happen eventually.

I don't see any reason to pack my bags yet, especially since I don't really have anywhere to go. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best. 

Que sera, sera.

• Love 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Alamy reached critical mass some time ago, so I guess most of us realized that something like this had to happen eventually.

I don't see any reason to pack my bags yet, especially since I don't really have anywhere to go. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best. 

Que sera, sera.

Agreed John,

Kumar