PA Media Group acquires Alamy

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

Loved that show. I saw Pippin I believe it was on Broadway and Granny was in it. Years later I took my daughter to see it at a regional theater in Connecticut and Micky Dolenz (sp? of the Monkeys was in it.) Dating myself too. 😎

Yes, I miss all those old shows -- Beverley Hillbillies, original Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, etc. There's too much "reality" and too many cop shows on TV now, which is why I don't watch it much any longer.

12 hours ago, Marianne said:

Loved that show. I saw Pippin I believe it was on Broadway and Granny was in it. Years later I took my daughter to see it at a regional theater in Connecticut and Micky Dolenz (sp? of the Monkeys was in it.) Dating myself too. 😎

Anybody remember a show called "Circus Boy"? It featured a young Mickey Dolenz and a not-young Noah Beery Jr.

Edited by Bill Kuta
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, I miss all those old shows -- Beverley Hillbillies, original Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, etc. There's too much "reality" and too many cop shows on TV now, which is why I don't watch it much any longer.

My cable provider has a few channels that are dedicated to showing old re-runs of those classic shows....when I have nothing better to do, I do find comfort in them.  Reminds me of the days of laying about watching those shows instead of doing school work!  Good thing I had photography to turn to when real life happened!!

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, I do. Maybe it's time I was put out to pasture...

I thought that was where you already are John.😀

Allan

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks to PBS and Netflix I'm completely hooked on all sorts of British mystery/police shows.  Our ISP/TV provider also has an oldies channel with stuff going back all the way to The Honeymooners. I never watch those reality shows, I much prefer "fiction" (LOL - should I say fiction that admits what it is)

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Thanks to PBS and Netflix I'm completely hooked on all sorts of British mystery/police shows.  Our ISP/TV provider also has an oldies channel with stuff going back all the way to The Honeymooners. I never watch those reality shows, I much prefer "fiction" (LOL - should I say fiction that admits what it is)

Yep. Me too. Not just British though - there are some great American ones too.  I love this new series genre (not sure what to call it) that has made popular by Netflix, where a whole season or even a number of seasons form an ongoing story. It allows for slower development  of plots and characters than movies which have only a few hours to get the story across - stuff like Fargo (the best IMO, related to the original movie by the Minnesota accents and brilliant plots and acting), Breaking Bad, Ozark, and loads more. The BBC has made some excellent series as well - Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders to name two. The danger is binge watching, as Netflix often release a whole season at once and they can be hard to put down.

As for the oldies, I have been having an Alfred Hitchcock mini-season this week: Rear Window and Vertigo so far the last two nights. Tonight intending to watch Psycho which I haven't seen in years. I love the cinematography and photography.

And I love being able to choose from a vast range of movies and TV series. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

Yep. Me too. Not just British though - there are some great American ones too.  I love this new series genre (not sure what to call it) that has made popular by Netflix, where a whole season or even a number of seasons form an ongoing story. It allows for slower development  of plots and characters than movies which have only a few hours to get the story across - stuff like Fargo (the best IMO, related to the original movie by the Minnesota accents and brilliant plots and acting), Breaking Bad, Ozark, and loads more. The BBC has made some excellent series as well - Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders to name two. The danger is binge watching, as Netflix often release a whole season at once and they can be hard to put down.

As for the oldies, I have been having an Alfred Hitchcock mini-season this week: Rear Window and Vertigo so far the last two nights. Tonight intending to watch Psycho which I haven't seen in years. I love the cinematography and photography.

And I love being able to choose from a vast range of movies and TV series. 

Don’t forget Hitchcock’s “The Birds”. Almost changed me from being a bird lover. (Not really).

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t forget Hitchcock’s “The Birds”. Almost changed me from being a bird lover. (Not really).

Yes. Brilliant movie. Not sure if it is available at the moment on the services I have but I will keep an eye out for it. 

40 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I love Alfred Hitchcock and have seen all his other movies and love the TV show, but I have never been able to sit through The Birds in its entirety. You are braver than I am Betty!

I have also watched a lot of Canadian, Irish, Spanish, and Russian TV on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Since Hollywood dominated the TV  and motion picture industries for so long, it is just so wonderful to see shows from different cultures. We've always gotten a lot of British TV via PBS,  but all these others are relatively new to me. I've always loved British TV, especially the mystery/cop shows, and one thing I always liked was that their characters, especially the women, look like real people - rather than inappropriately dressed models. I can't imaging NYPD detective showing the amount of cleavage our American TV cops do LOL. Vera is one of my current faves but so many of the earlier seasons cost more than the subscription to watch, something, I can't bring myself to pay for. 

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I love Alfred Hitchcock and have seen all his other movies and love the TV show, but I have never been able to sit through The Birds in its entirety. You are braver than I am Betty!

I have also watched a lot of Canadian, Irish, Spanish, and Russian TV on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Since Hollywood dominated the TV  and motion picture industries for so long, it is just so wonderful to see shows from different cultures. We've always gotten a lot of British TV via PBS,  but all these others are relatively new to me. I've always loved British TV, especially the mystery/cop shows, and one thing I always liked was that their characters, especially the women, look like real people - rather than inappropriately dressed models. I can't imaging NYPD detective showing the amount of cleavage our American TV cops do LOL. Vera is one of my current faves but so many of the earlier seasons cost more than the subscription to watch, something, I can't bring myself to pay for. 

I love movies/series about New York. Too many to mention. I love the accent. As well as Hitchcock I have several Martin Scorsese movies to watch at the moment. I have only been there once back in 1980, leaving the day John Lennon was murdered, which is why the date sticks in my mind.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

Is it me? - or has this thread completely lost it's way - and the contributors drifted off into flights of fantasy??

Looks like it but a lot of what went before was fantasy as well - trying to predict the future and all that. It looked to me like it was fading out as there was nothing new on the original topic since yesterday. Anyway sorry for contributing to the diversion. 

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

Looks like it but a lot of what went before was fantasy as well - trying to predict the future and all that. It looked to me like it was fading out as there was nothing new on the original topic since yesterday. Anyway sorry for contributing to the diversion. 

20 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

Is it me? - or has this thread completely lost it's way - and the contributors drifted off into flights of fantasy??

Perhaps it's nicer to chat about movies and tv than to keep speculating and worrying about what's next for Alamy?

Given the global situation, retreating into a world of fantasy sounds quite attractive.

As for favourite TV, there's one word: Farscape. If you haven't visited the Uncharted Territories, Scorpius wants to know where the hezmana you've been.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, I do. Maybe it's time I was put out to pasture...

Just reading these posts...and drifting drifting off topic as i hear a song playing from way back on my radio......The Beatles " Across the Universe " Oh and i still like the song....

I'm out to pasture Mr. Morrison too...Moo 😁

1 hour ago, William Caram said:

Just reading these posts...and drifting drifting off topic as i hear a song playing from way back on my radio......The Beatles " Across the Universe " Oh and i still like the song....

I'm out to pasture Mr. Morrison too...Moo 😁

That's drifting around in my head now. A candidate for the most profound song ever written for me. Thank you from the far side of the Earth 😎

• Love 1

If a thread can stay on point for more than two or three pages, that means breaking news, big time news. Those just take a few pages longer, but it will happen. That’s kind of what makes this forum family. 
I’m pretty guilty of going off-topic. 🙄

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Richard Tadman said:

You and I both Richard,

Can any of you stay on the subject?  This is more frustrating than me trying to setup FileZilla.....

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

You and I both Richard,

Can any of you stay on the subject?  This is more frustrating than me trying to setup FileZilla.....

Chuck

OK. Here is a summary. Alamy has been sold to PA Media Group. Nobody has any definite idea of what is going to happen. The future might be dark, bright or somewhere in between. It might be good for some people, bad for some people, indifferent for some people. It is all pure speculation and there is not much more to say until further developments occur at some unknown point in the future.

Meanwhile words are flowing out like endless rain ....................................................

• Love 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

That's drifting around in my head now. A candidate for the most profound song ever written for me. Thank you from the far side of the Earth 😎

Your welcome MDM....Glad to hear that this great song still strikes a chord with you...music and film including still photography  plays such an important role in our lives....We photographers portray our visual take on the world...and here at Alamy we are part of the collective who are wanting to have our images seen, and of course also being reasonably paid for the licence uses..

Well we've been told that it's business as usual with the sell off to PA Media Group....so time will tell if we as individual photographers and the whole collective prosper...Surely a diverse collection of images such as Alamy's can really find its niche in the market and win a better share of the worldwide total sales revenue?...There are a lot of photographers from all skill levels trying to make money from their images....We can only hope that the new direction of this business looks after it's suppliers ( photographers ) and gives us the incentive to keep supplying images, by not eroding our return for effort further..

So yes congratulations to the PA Media Group, i'm just one of the many small contributors hoping that the future will see the Alamy collection prosper along with its loyal contributors.