BBC report Keith Morris missing

Oh my dear, I have seen this topic since it appeared but thought it was some "soft" news, until it gathered 5 pages of comments and I decided to look at it. Devastated for him and his family. How fragile our lives are. Very very sad.

It's strange isn't it. Like most people on here, I didn't know Keith, but this feels like a terrible loss. I'm really deeply shocked. Speaks volumes about who he was and how much he was loved and respected. RIP. Another story here: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/keith-morris-aberystwyth-tributes-body-17039693

• Like 2

Deeply sad and unexpected news. It was one of those unreal moments when I first saw a tweet that he had been reported missing, but hoping for the best. Like most I didn't know Keith, but was inspired to choose Alamy from his profile. I often found myself uploading sunsets - due to the slight time difference in location just before him - only to be blown away by the ones he would upload soon afterwards. RIP KM.

A sad loss and a tragedy for his family. 

If anything positive is to come of this, and we don't know the detail as yet, but maybe this should be a wake up call for all of us to take care when out and about.  Didn't Keith survive a storm related incident some while ago? There have been several occasions when I have taken risks in order to capture a shot,  maybe in future I'll be more careful.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Didn't Keith survive a storm related incident some while ago?

Didn't he get caught by a wave and lose all his kit? I seem to recall his mentioning it when discussing insurance claims. I know from when I lived down in Torquay when the waves burst over the sea wall even a small amount of water can knock you over.

31 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I think it's right that we should contemplate on our need to take care when working. I'm just cautious that we might be well advised not to spill over into speculation on what has led to Keith's death on a forum accessible to the public, not least to save adding to his family's distress at this time. As far as I know, no official  information has been made available as to the circumstances behind his death.

I think anyone can put two and two together: He was contributing until last week, spectacular weather images are his speciality, stormy weather was forecast, the Coastguard started searching on Friday, and he was found on the beach on Sunday. There may not be a great mystery. He died doing what he loved and I don't think there is any harm in saying so.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Whether the sea swept him away or not, as a landlubber living in the middle of the U.S. I learned a valuable lesson the first time vacationing by the sea in Oregon.

There are what’s called “sneaker waves”. Basically you see where the waves are washing up on the beach, rocks, etc. you think you are safe if you are standing a bit inland to where the waves wash up. But somewhere around every 7th wave, (it can vary a bit) a big wave rushes in much higher and farther and soaks you, if your lucky and it doesn’t wash you away.

Standing on a rock cliff with my back to the sea, with the waves crashing several feet below me, I suddenly was hit with a wave that measured waist high. I was lucky. I only got wet. Of course my husband who was preparing to take a picture of me (the reason my back was to the sea) missed the shot but got the laugh.

But Keith knew the sea. All of her tricks. Yet sometimes knowing doesn’t keep one from taking risks.

I knew I should never stand on a chair with wheels to change a light bulb. But I did. And I fell. I belonged to the “Not Me” club, that believes they are safe, bad things only happen to others.

Like most of you, I believe until there is a formal announcement, anything put forward in the meanwhile is simply speculation.

Betty

He even influenced me, a total newbie here. Several times I happened upon his orange silhouette shots and was just like WOW. How beautiful. What an enormous gift and legacy he left to his homeland, as well as the inspiration he gave to other photographers. He said you can't be precious about taking photos if you want to be a stock photographer, and yet, his work was true art.

I'm glad to hear Dyfed-Powys Police are investigating possibilities. We are all probably assuming this was an unfortunate case of seaside storm chasing gone wrong. So many of us have pushed our luck in that direction and I guess we will mostly continue. In Oct 1954 I went out in the only hurricane to reach Kingston Ontario and managed an award-winning shot and I was hooked. A great shame if Keith wasn't lucky on the day, but that may not be the complete story

Edited by Robert M Estall

I'm late to this, having only just taken a look at the forum in the first time in a little while.

My God, what a terrible shock. Like many, I only knew Keith via these forums, but it feels personal, all the same. So very sorry and condolences to all his friends and family.

• Like 1