July challenge - Pedal Power

July is Le Tour de France month, the greatest cycle race on the planet, so the theme is Pedal Power.

I’m looking for any pedal powered transport in action, let’s see who wins the yellow jersey.

I will kick off with this. Good luck all!

Geraint Thomas speeding up Whitehall..

geraint-thomas-of-sky-professional-cycli

Hero Ride on The Mall.

the-mall-london-uk-8th-june-2014-the-her

Excellent challenge, not into racing, but love my bike!

Angler cycling along Roker Pier, Sunderland

angler-cycling-along-roker-north-pier-ro

Trick Cyclist knocks little boy's hat off

trick-cyclist-knocks-childs-hat-off-with

Panned shot of lady cyclist on veteran bicycle

panned-shot-of-smiling-woman-dressed-in-

Congrats on your well deserved win Malcolm!  Fun challenge and some great ones already! Here are three from me.

1) Mountain biking on Molokai, Hawaii

usa-hawaii-molokai-mountain-biking-on-di

2) Couple trail riding on the island of Nevis

caribbean-west-indies-st-kitts-and-nevis

3) Riding in paradise, Nevis, West Indies

caribbean-west-indies-st-kitts-and-nevis

Great challenge – cycling is a long-term passion of mine.

I hope it is OK to include a couple of oldies.  The pic of Eddy Merckx has done well, including a licence that popped up this morning.

Track cycling; Herne Hill track, London, UK – 1967

track-cycling-herne-hill-track-london-uk

Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome; UK Cycling National Championships, 2009

bradley-wiggins-and-chris-froome-uk-cycl

Eddy Merckx; cycling World Championships– 1970

eddy-merckx-cycling-world-championships-

I could have sworn I didn't have any but there is one.....It is pretty typical of Greenwich Village with the unlikely corner of Waverly and Waverly and bikes locked to the fence. Lots of these fences have notices that bikes will be forcibly taken off......Many NO BIKES signs but not here. Maybe they belong to the resident.

street-signs-at-the-corner-of-waverly-pl

DPE3A9  Bicycles parked at the corner of Waverly Place and Waverly Place, Greenwich Village, NYC

Paulette

cyclists-crossing-story-bridge-over-bris

Winter commute, Brisbane, Australia

Curious quokkas checking out bicycle, Rottnest Island, Western Australia

quokkas-setonix-brachyurus-marsupials-na

Not sure if mine will win the yellow jersey  ;)

Cyclist riding The Muur van Geraardsbergen / Grammont, part of the Tour of Flanders and the chapel Our Lady of the Old Mountain, Belgium

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, Philippe, you've just provided us with a stop-off on our annual trip to Germany. It's about time we did more in Belgium than just pass through again.

Wow, these large critters ambush bikers?  :o

Cheers,

Philippe

I never heard of these beasts so I Googled and from mentalfloss.com I found this...

"Journalist Kenneth Cook learned the hard way when he tried to befriend a quokka along a dirt road. Cook noted the animal’s “small, mean mouth,” but decided it was probably too small to do much damage. “It was a malicious-looking beast,” he wrote in his 1987 book Wombat Revenge, but he wasn’t afraid. He offered the little animal a piece of apple, which the quokka spat out, and a crumb of gorgonzola cheese. The quokka popped the gorgonzola into its mouth, chewed, and then, Cook says, “fell down in a dead faint.” 

Convinced he’d just poisoned the creature and determined to save it, Cook zipped the quokka’s body into his backpack, left a little room for air, swung the pack onto his back, and pedaled his bicycle frantically down the road to find help. After a few minutes of bumping along at breakneck speed, the quokka began to revive, and blearily climbed out of the backpack, claws first. 

Afraid to turn around in case he lost control of his bike, Cook sped onward. The quokka grabbed his neck and began shrieking in his ear. The bike kept going. The shrieking quokka sank its teeth into Cook’s earlobe and hung there, dead weight, like a large, furry earring. Disoriented, the journalist steered his bike off a cliff into the ocean. Surfacing, he looked around and found the quokka standing on the shore, glaring at him and snarling.  

The story seems incredible, but Cook is far from the winsome creature’s only victim. Teddy-bear ears and doe eyes aside, these animals are ready, willing, and able to fend for themselves. Each year, the Rottnest Island infirmary treats dozens of patients—mostly children—for quokka bites. "

Hmmmmmm. I bet you thought you were joking!

Paulette

Wow, these large critters ambush bikers?  :o

Cheers,

Philippe

I never heard of these beasts so I Googled and from mentalfloss.com I found this...

"Journalist Kenneth Cook learned the hard way when he tried to befriend a quokka along a dirt road. Cook noted the animal’s “small, mean mouth,” but decided it was probably too small to do much damage. “It was a malicious-looking beast,” he wrote in his 1987 book Wombat Revenge, but he wasn’t afraid. He offered the little animal a piece of apple, which the quokka spat out, and a crumb of gorgonzola cheese. The quokka popped the gorgonzola into its mouth, chewed, and then, Cook says, “fell down in a dead faint.” 

Convinced he’d just poisoned the creature and determined to save it, Cook zipped the quokka’s body into his backpack, left a little room for air, swung the pack onto his back, and pedaled his bicycle frantically down the road to find help. After a few minutes of bumping along at breakneck speed, the quokka began to revive, and blearily climbed out of the backpack, claws first. 

Afraid to turn around in case he lost control of his bike, Cook sped onward. The quokka grabbed his neck and began shrieking in his ear. The bike kept going. The shrieking quokka sank its teeth into Cook’s earlobe and hung there, dead weight, like a large, furry earring. Disoriented, the journalist steered his bike off a cliff into the ocean. Surfacing, he looked around and found the quokka standing on the shore, glaring at him and snarling.  

The story seems incredible, but Cook is far from the winsome creature’s only victim. Teddy-bear ears and doe eyes aside, these animals are ready, willing, and able to fend for themselves. Each year, the Rottnest Island infirmary treats dozens of patients—mostly children—for quokka bites. "

Hmmmmmm. I bet you thought you were joking!

Paulette

If I submitted a photo as far removed from reality as that piece, there'd not be a big enough "digitally altered" button to cover it  :P

And as for quokka's "biting" . . . well, as the article referenced above says, "The animals can be approached so closely that they regularly NIP the fingertips of children who get too close" . . . digitally altered indeed :)

If you want to talk about really dangerous Australian animals, cyclists should beware the . . . drop-bears!!

dd

Archived