What Are Your Walking Around Settings?

I leave the house with the camera set to RAW only. ISO is at 400 and aperture at f/8. I set the camera for aperture priority. These are my basic settings for heading out on a random shoot.

Of course they do get changed along the way, but I find these settings fairly good for general shooting. If its super sunny and mid-day, I might drop the ISO to 200.

What settings do you guys start out with when you head on out to capture your fortunes?

Jill

Depends on the weather and the season :)

Seriously, I am a mile high to start with in Denver so the conditions are different than what most folks do.  In the summer, the sun is high and bright so lowest ISO I can get away with during mid-day.  In the morning and evening, I pay attention to my shutter speed and adjust accordingly.  If I walk out of the house at 9am and the light meter in the camera says a shutter speed of 1/100 or less, generally, I will bump up ISO or I will open up the aperture to get a faster shutter speed.  I've gotten usable images at 1/30 and even 1/15 with my 70-200 but that's the exception to the rule.

In the Winter, shadows are long.  I generally start out at 400iso and pay attention to shutter speed.

I like to shoot around f/8 as that's the optimal setting for my Canon gear and lenses - I also adjust for depth of field as necessary.  The Fujis are a little different and I can get away with a larger aperture.

I rarely shoot at an aperture smaller than f/11

I guess it just really depends on the weather, the time of year, and what the topic is.

When walking around, I tend to leave my camera in P mode and make aperture and shutter speed adjustments using program-shift, ISO 200, multi-point AF. I shoot in JPEG mode most of the time these days as my current camera tends to be much better at processing than I am.

JPG Fine + Raw

Aperture Priority

Most common:

f/3.2 or so

ISO often ends up rather high, 400 to the thousands

Spot metering (or Matrix)

One of the auto white balances

Color - standard (or landscape or portrait)

AF - C (my one outing trying back button focus didn't go well, should give it another try)

24-70mm/2.8

Raw, 28mm lens, aperture priority and f8. Would like to make more use of auto ISO but the camera feels that 1/60th is sufficient when it often isn't. I therefore set ISO to suit, default 100, and almost invariably forget to change it when I should.

RAW - Aperture priority and F4-5.6 though very occasionally F8 - ISO on 160 set to Auto and set to max 400 though occasionally 800 - AWB - generally I take my 24-70 F2.8 (equivalent) lens and less often the 70-200 F2.8. (All for M43 cameras).   

Depends entirely on what I'm looking for, weather, surroundings etc etc etc . . . but one thing remains totally, irrevocably constant: RAW.

dd

As a general starting rule:

Two cameras. 

one with a 17-105 zoom, shutter priority, ISO 200 BUT set to auto ISO, min shutter speed 100-150, max ISO 800

the other with a 70-300 zoom, shutter priority, ISO 200 but also on auto, min shutter 320-400th.

That way I'm set up for quick grab shots at any focal length. If I want more depth of field for something, I can always change the settings.

I didn't realise my cameras had auto ISO until I read something on here. I have found it EXTREMELY useful, especially when covering news or sport.

RAW and auto white balance.

Canon 5dII - 24-105L - RAW - Aperture priority - f8 - ISO between 100-200. ISO and aperture quickly changed. However, have been caught on sunny days in sudden shady surroundings with unsharp images due to low shutter speed. I try to think a little ahead when moving around.

Archived