So . . . how was 2023 for you?

Sales up by just one on the 2022 total, revenue just a few dollars less - but then I did add a modest number of pictures in the course of the year, so overall I fear the trend is downward

Happy New Year!

Alex

Lowest year gross since 2014. 15% down on last year and average down again to $21. Volume about the same.

No uploads since April and have a backlog of about 2500 which I haven't even looked at. It might be suggested the two are related but I've had the second highest number of same-year sales, which have always been rare for me.

Edited by spacecadet

Second highest number of sales since 2016. Highest ever gross $.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Second highest number of sales since 2016. Highest ever gross $.

Allan

Good for you. You have been constantly uploading and I'm happy it is paying off. I'm not in good shape but with no more trips and not being excited about shooting in the City I am being way too lazy to improve.

Paulette

Large drop in number of licences from just under a thousand last year to just over seven hundred and fifty.  Revenue, however, has largely held up, being marginally down on last year.  However, this is the first time in nearly ten years when I have not seen a large year on year increase in income.

Nearly all my photography is political news based.  For the coming year I see an increase in activity due to the general election.  However, the increasing reluctance of more and more politicians to having their pictures taken together with increased restrictions in Downing Street  and. College Green means it is going to be harder work than in the past.  The activities of Steve Bray, the Brexit protester, who allegedly harasses MP’s has resulted in an increasing reluctance for politicians to venture outside the fortress of the House of Commons.

i am expecting an increase in demonstrations around Westminster, particularly as the election approaches.  Sadly it appears civil disorder and violence will increase due to the growing intolerance, indeed hatred in some cases, between opposing groups.  The police will be again hard pressed, witness last week’s attacks on them by Eritrean protesters.  News photographers will again be at risk while doing our job.  So more of the same…. 

• Like 2

So pleased for those of you that are still doing well, I seem to be nose diving to oblivion.

Volume of sales grew every year ( except 1) from 2006 to 2021 then the famous re rank of 2022 stalled me completely. 2022 was down 6% and now 2023 down a further 18%. Revenue is even worse, having consistently grown from 2011 to 2021 2022 was down 15% and 2023 down a whopping 40% to the sale levels I had in 2015 !!!!

There seems to be no way back unless there is a new re rank. I still upload, my CTR is around 1.0 but views and hence zooms are grim. 

Lost in the wilderness but always living in hope

• Like 1

Down considerably on volume over 2022 - 394 sales vs 549 - but sales revenue, though down, has held up fairly well - $7087 vs $7294 - due to a higher average payout per sale.  Then there has been additional DACS, ASCRL and Infringement payouts totalling $698.  The final cleared totals for the 2023 obviously won't come in till well into the new year but my bank balance has looked a little healthier with £2555 ($3258) deposited by Alamy during 2023.  Far from enough to make a living - but a useful supplement to my pensions.

I've added about 800 images this year despite being unable to drive for most of the year.  Views have totalled 63,759 with 678 zooms giving an overall 1.06 CTR, nearly twice the Alamy average so I must be providing something the customers want.  Having said that I think I do need to increase the numbers a little and hit that 10,000 barrier!

All in all a decent year.  Thank you Alamy and a happy New Year to everyone.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Worst year in a raw. Comparted to 2022, sales number and revenue down by ~25%. The average gross was ~$45 (in 2022 it was ~$52), perhaps because I have blocked NU, “cheap countries”, and PU for RM images. Something happened after the first 2-3 months of 2023 which were still good, then nosediving even though CTR during the year was still between 1.0 - 1.2.

I have a smaller port of worse images at a microstock site. Worse at least by composition/light but most of them are also heavily cropped or downsampled due to technical issues. I did not mind to give up these images for pennies. My RPI at that site used to be ~$0.3 whereas RPI on Alamy was between ~$0.7 - 0.75. This year the microstock RPI increased to ~$0.34 and Alamy RPI decreased to $0.38. Therefore, no incentive to try and make good images and submit them to Alamy anymore.

• Like 1

2023: 898 for $14500. 2022: 863 for $12140. A slight improvement in value per image, but as I don't keep records possibly a reduction in licences per image uploaded.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

My sales number and revenue is still continuing upwards each year so far, but not by so much this time. The second half of the year was worse than the first 6 months, which doesn't bode too well.

2023 figures were 422 sales for $8637 gross

2022 (after a refund of my best sale of the year!) was 388 sales for $7405 gross

So an increase of about 9% in number of sales, and an increase of about 17% in gross revenue

Average gross revenue in 2023 was about $20.5, a slight improvement on 2022.

Also had a couple of hundred in infringements.

2024 has been rubbish so far... 😄

But 2023 was highest again licenses and revenue. Added about 600 images over the year. 239 licenses for $3,169 gross. $13.3 average per license.

volume-2023.jpg%20revenue-2023.jpg

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 2

Worst results for 5 years. Sales down 33% and income down by 39% compared to 2022. So disappointing after building positively over a number of years. I've had my winge regarding the search engine and apparent views cut off since 2022 which seems to relate to my downturn so no further comment.

Jim

• Like 1

$709.08 Total for the year of 2023 for 26 Licences Some were on 20% commission Never get too many views or zooms even adding about 656 photos this year Will have a better idea at the end of 2024 to see if there is any improvement or not 

Edited by Alexander Hogg
couple of words missing
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Good for you. You have been constantly uploading and I'm happy it is paying off. I'm not in good shape but with no more trips and not being excited about shooting in the City I am being way too lazy to improve.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. I have been trying and spurred on by edo to do better.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

Not bad all things considered -- total sales (187) up 18% from 2022 and best year to date. Gross revenue was about the same as 2022 at $6.3K (up 1.5%). Just to put things in perspective, though, I started submitting in 2007, and my gross income in 2009 was $6.9K with only 55 sales that year and far fewer images. Hmmm... 🤔

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Downsize before linking.

Mark

I'm using Firefox, and I find that if I left-click a couple of times on an image after inserting it into a post from a URL, a box appears that lets me adjust the size in pixels.

P.S. Thanks to Rico (I think) in Alberta (I think) for this tip.

Edited by John Mitchell