So . . . how was 2023 for you?

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm using Firefox, and I find that if I left-click a couple of times on an image after inserting it into a post from a URL, a box appears that lets me adjust the size in pixels.

P.S. Thanks to Rico (I think) in Alberta (I think) for this tip.

Ah great, that works too!

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Downsize before linking.

Mark

Thanks Mark, did this.

On paper it was my best year on this site in terms of volume and value, where everywhere else it's a massive drop. But royalties are taking so long to clear that it sure doesn't feel like it.

Edited by PuffinsPictures

From 2018 onwards I have been seeing a repeating pattern of increasing numbers of sales and diminishing income, but 2023 has brought a slight reduction in numbers sold but a significant increase in gross revenue, in fact my best year since 2018. 

I'm still well below my peak gross income which occurred in 2017 (down by 27%).  Factor in the increased commission charges and inflation, and my real net income is hugely down since then.

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm using Firefox, and I find that if I left-click a couple of times on an image after inserting it into a post from a URL, a box appears that lets me adjust the size in pixels.

P.S. Thanks to Rico (I think) in Alberta (I think) for this tip.

Hi John, I think I said if you double-click on the image, a resize box pops up (in Edge). Left-clicking might also work, but I've never tried it.

6 hours ago, Steve F said:

2024 has been rubbish so far... 😄

But 2023 was highest again licenses and revenue. Added about 600 images over the year. 239 licenses for $3,169 gross. $13.3 average per license.

volume-2023.jpg%20revenue-2023.jpg

Wow, your chart shows a very steady trajectory - mine are all over the place, especially revenue.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/420ic91s1nso3tm95ga8p/Alamy-charts-to-2023.jpg?rlkey=apserkju8ll28dqiz6vu09vmm&dl=0

(I've forgotten yet again how to get a photo to show directly without a dropbox link. At one time, I remember  you could drag and drop, but that doesn't appear to work now ...)

If I get time, I'll do my own chart of net revenue, as that's the important one, but I fear it will be very depressing.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Hi John, I think I said if you double-click on the image, a resize box pops up (in Edge). Left-clicking might also work, but I've never tried it.

You probably did say that, but we tend to be left-leaning here on the West Coast, although I'm not so sure that will be the case for much longer. Anyway, thanks again for the tip. Haven't tried it with Chrome yet.

Curious as to how many images you all sell in a given year. Over the past three years I've seen things pick up (100+ though barely that in 2023) but, my average sale has dropped significantly over the last 10 years from ~$60 to ~$12. Last year was super low ($6.5) due to a slew of sales to China. I tend to see mostly editorial pick-ups with a few ads or book sales here and there. USA-based photographer which I know impacts some of the UK and EU volume & needs.Screen+Shot+2024-01-01+at+4.50.21+PM.png

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

From 2018 onwards I have been seeing a repeating pattern of increasing numbers of sales and diminishing income, but 2023 has brought a slight reduction in numbers sold but a significant increase in gross revenue, in fact my best year since 2018. 

I'm still well below my peak gross income which occurred in 2017 (down by 27%).  Factor in the increased commission charges and inflation, and my real net income is hugely down since then.

It is what it is.

This year's gross revenue is down over 35% from my peak year (2014). Don't even want to think about the corresponding drop in net. 🤯

But as you say, it is what it is (or isn't).

Edited by John Mitchell

339 for 8414.

License numbers almost on par with my best year (2016). Gross amount pretty much exactly in half. Net of course another 20% lower.

However both up a little bit compared to last year.

2022 > 2023 = %

6954 > 8414 =  21% increase

291 > 339  = 16.49% increase

Almost no images added.

Infringements and dacs not yet calculated.

wim

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

This year's gross revenue is down over 35% from my peak year (2014). Don't even want to think about the corresponding drop in net. 🤯

But as you say, it is what it is (or isn't).

Well this might make you feel better, this year's gross revenue is down 59% from my best year (2011).

• Like 1

Happy with the results. Steady growth since first submissions in 2016, with the exception of 2022, which was flat. Compared to 2022:

5% more images, mostly added during the last quarter of the year

28% growth in sales volume

36% growth in gross revenue

2% increase in image price average

Best year so far for sales and $

Hello all, 

New to the forums, but have been with Alamy for quite some time. I'm in Canada, have never really had the level of success which many of you have seemed to work hard to achieve. I'm curious, what do you feel has been the key to that success? The content? Do you update keywords to match what is being searched? Do you use light boxes to deliver to potential clients? 

Really interested to hear thoughts on this. 

In the meantime, all the best to all for 2024, industry appears to be bracing for another quantum change as AI becomes more prevalent. 

Cheers, 

Mark. 

1st year where sales volume hasn't exceeded the previous year for me. 86% of sales volume as 2022. Gross income 107% compared to last year although net is obviously lower.  A little under 1k images added to the port. 

3 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

Best year for sales at 83 ave $18, looking at other people stats 83 sales with 11000 images on sale is not particularly good? 

About the same as mine. So no, not particularly lol.

• Love 1

Relative to 2022 number

License volume is ⬇️ by 23% . Impact of disabling those distribution zones which pay in pence.

Gross revenue is ⬆️ by 20% . No $$$ sale. Not a lot on the high $$ either. I have not upload a lot in Q4.

Wishing more photos and better prices in 2024 to all here 🥂

• Love 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Wow, your chart shows a very steady trajectory - mine are all over the place, especially revenue.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/420ic91s1nso3tm95ga8p/Alamy-charts-to-2023.jpg?rlkey=apserkju8ll28dqiz6vu09vmm&dl=0

(I've forgotten yet again how to get a photo to show directly without a dropbox link. At one time, I remember  you could drag and drop, but that doesn't appear to work now ...)

If I get time, I'll do my own chart of net revenue, as that's the important one, but I fear it will be very depressing.

Interesting graph. Possibly a similar graph with number of images loaded & keyworded might tell if that plays a role in license volume. I'm guessing it based on what I see in 2020 on your graph @Cryptoprocta

Number of sales pretty much the same, revenue vastly down.
The average sales price per image mostly in the $ range, which is really sad/pathetic, considering most of them are full page uses in print (up to 10.000), digital and web and in perpetuity.
Just got another one on 27th of December for $.

A decade ago that same use was still in the 1$$.

Edited by Arno
Removing numbers

5 hours ago, Gnans said:

Interesting graph. Possibly a similar graph with number of images loaded & keyworded might tell if that plays a role in license volume. I'm guessing it based on what I see in 2020 on your graph @Cryptoprocta

For sure I uploaded very little in 2020, but actually I haven't uploaded much since August this year because I've been discouraged by lack of sales and my 'other place' is doing better, though of course worse than in the past ... I almost never upload Live News as there's hardly any out in the boonies where I live, and the local papers don't pay for photos, so my new files don't tend to outsell old ones. In fact, apart from repeat uses via the small fee/high sales outlets, most of my sales are one-off sales of older files.