Travel pics, if money was no object and licence returns didn't matter!

My travel bucket list appears to be getting longer and longer whilst at the same time my mortal coil continues to unwind at a predictable but alarming rate (at least that is how it appears to me). All of which got me thinking about prioritising places to visit. Where would you go and what would you photograph if money was no object? I started to compile a list but then gave up when I realised how oversaturated the travel photography market is. Any bright ideas, anyone?

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Yes… so many places and so little time. The Galapagos islands (following in the footsteps of Charles Darwin). Islands in general. Timbuktu. Petra (and the relics of other ancient civilisations). Plenty of other places too, which don’t spring immediately to mind. By the way a “mortal coil” doesn’t “unwind”; it’s what you “shuffle off”…  😎

• Love 2

I've got a bucket list of places to visit too, but primarily for visiting rather than photographing. I guess if I had to choose, I'd go back to Iceland to photograph. I'd only just started stock when I went there so I wasn't so good at picking suitable subjects etc.

• Love 3

I agree with you Jansos. Travel Insurance also getting. ore difficult with age!! - My list, in no particular order: Japan, China, Antarctica, Brazil. Argentina and Chile, Canada, Iceland more of the American National Parks New Zealand and Tahitii.

That's for starters!

Kumar

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I think I will try to do more in the Southeastern US as it is not as expensive to travel here.  Battleship North Carolina, Charleston SC, Aircraft Carrier Yorktown, Outer Banks NC and other Southeastern US locations.  I would also consider a trip to the Great Lakes as a extended trip.

• Love 2

I went to Japan in 2019, not really knowing what to expect, and absolutely loving it. I'm not a city person but I loved my experience in Tokyo. I hope to return someday and see a lot more of Japan, and spend more time in Tokyo.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Africa always calls me. It seems to stretch my mind back in time as the lions, giraffes, etc. seem to have always been there and are there yet. I have loved Kenya and would be hesitant to go right now because of drought. It is hard times there. Alaska with the brown bears would be good right now.

Paulette

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Africa always calls me. It seems to stretch my mind back in time as the lions, giraffes, etc. seem to have always been there and are there yet. I have loved Kenya and would be hesitant to go right now because of drought. It is hard times there. Alaska with the brown bears would be good right now.

Paulette

And nobody mentioned the UK 🙄

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’ll actually be heading to the UK this fall. 🤪

That is where I'm going too. Not so much the UK more like England.😜

Allan

Perhaps it's a symptom of ageing, but I'm fairly content to go nowhere these days, for a bucket of reasons. However, I was thinking the other day that if I had the cash I'd love to go back to Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands) off the coast of northern BC. It's a magical place.

Ah, blessed peace and quiet... 🏞️

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Janson, I do no know what kind of travel are your favorites, i.e. cities, landscapes, wildlife etc. In any case, some MUST, at least for me, that I would like to repeat.

- Isla de Pascua

- Angkor temples

- Iceland, Azores, Lofoten, Feroes,....

- Hide a car, with driver,  and get lost in India

- Some safaris in Tanzania and Zanzibar.

- Hope that in one year, or in a decade, travel to Yemen can be resumed safely.

- etc..

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Perhaps it's a symptom of ageing, but I'm fairly content to go nowhere these days, for a bucket of reasons. However, I was thinking the other day that if I had the cash I'd love to go back to Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands) off the coast of northern BC. It's a magical place.

Ah, blessed peace and quiet... 🏞️

my big issue is i would like to do simple train travels, but options are quite limited in Canada.  Maybe the Winnipeg to Churchill segment.  

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel I've traveled too much. But I've not been to Cuba, New Orleans, nor Africa below the Sahara. I've never been to Greece either. Those are all places I wanted to go. 

Even if money was not an issue, right now in the UK, there are rail strikes, airport problems, and punishing cues for the Dover Tunnel. 🤨

• Love 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

my big issue is i would like to do simple train travels, but options are quite limited in Canada.  Maybe the Winnipeg to Churchill segment.  

If you're ever back in Mexico, the Copper Canyon (Barranca del Cobre) is a beautiful train trip, from Los Mochis on the coast to the city of Chihuahua. Lots of interesting stops in between as well. I've done it twice, first time over 30 years ago. It was a real adventure back then.

As Edo pointed out above, there is so much travail in travel (not to mention the rising expense) these days that global meandering is not nearly as appealing (to me anyway) as it used to be. Then there is the environmental impact. Transportation remains the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions, which apparently are causing a few problems around the world.

• Love 1
  • Like 1