Travel pics, if money was no object and licence returns didn't matter!

6 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

Yes I live in Scotland but do not want Independence That's going to make things worse financially for everyone( only my opinion) I'm not saying the grass is greener wherever you move too but there are other reasons I would want to move but not putting it up on here 

You haven't got an Irish grandparent by any chance😀 Born in Ireland, though, that blew OH's chances, they were born in England, very careless if you ask me😉

1 hour ago, Alexander Hog said:

No But got an Irish Uncle but that doesn't count 

You can apply to get an Irish citizenship if you work 5 years within the recent 9 ....

To work in Ireland, I mean ....🙃

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

15 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

I've only ever visited Dublin back in about 2010 Will have to go back for another visit for a month or so to really see what it is like to see if I would want to live there I have taken Semi Retirement but could still take a part time job though 

I'd prefer a smaller countryside town ...

Such a big question...Having travelled, visited many places, lived in various countries i hanker for my very 1st trip which was Bali. Although, Iceland, Japan, West Coast of America, Cuba, and Canada as well as travelling on a bike motorbike around Scotland Wales and Ireland would be quite amazing...

On 29/07/2022 at 12:07, Jansos said:

My travel bucket list appears to be getting longer and longer whilst at the same time my mortal coil continues to unwind at a predictable but alarming rate (at least that is how it appears to me). All of which got me thinking about prioritising places to visit. Where would you go and what would you photograph if money was no object? I started to compile a list but then gave up when I realised how oversaturated the travel photography market is. Any bright ideas, anyone?

You never replied to your own question ;)

• Love 1

Talking of travel to distant lands, what kit would you take with you and how would you store it safely in your hotel/apartment etc? The room safe is not normally large enough to accommodate camera equipment. A bit of a pain to always have to carry it around with you all the time. Taking a more portable camera(s) rather defeats the object. Any suggestions?

On 01/08/2022 at 17:46, Jay D said:

You never replied to your own question ;)

I know, I'm too full of indecision at the moment. Definitely some more European city locations, definitely a trip to India if my stomach could cope with it. South America is very appealing (Argentina, Chile and Peru in particular), Canada, SE Asia, Japan. You?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jansos said:

Talking of travel to distant lands, what kit would you take with you and how would you store it safely in your hotel/apartment etc? The room safe is not normally large enough to accommodate camera equipment. A bit of a pain to always have to carry it around with you all the time. Taking a more portable camera(s) rather defeats the object. Any suggestions?

Wether abroad or in the UK I keep my camera bag with me at all times. In the UK I usually carry a back pack containing a small laptop and 3 bodies with 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300mm lenses attached. If on the way home I nip into a supermarket my camera bag is on my back. I've got used to the weight and bulk, but thinking to the future am looking into changing to a lighter kit without sacrificing quality. Many many years ago I was staying in a hotel in Amsterdam with my to be wife. At night I locked my camera shoulder bag containing 2 x OM1 bodies and a selection of prime lenses in my rooms wardrobe, and at breakfast time it went with me downstairs. My wife said I was being over cautious. The next morning my wife woke to find her shoulder bag containing passport, money, a reasonable compact camera, exposed films and much more had been stolen. The windows were open due to the heat, and there was a ledge outside the window running all along the front, we were on the second floor. During the night someone had accessed 3 rooms stealing anything within reach of the open windows. We then lost time having to visit a police station to obtain a report detailing what had been stolen for the insurance claim. Keeping photographic kit with you may be a pain, but it's safer.

• Love 1

I had this as a real question back in 2000 when I was still teaching. I came across the chance to apply for a 'mid-career refreshment grant' for teachers offered by Goldmsiths' Company of London. After quite a bit of thinking about all sorts of adventures I submitted an application to visit the Trobriand Islands - this meant I could tie it in with something academic relating to Bronisław Malinowski one of the founders of Social Anthropology. I had to do  a little research for the interview so I ordered some of his books through Inter-Library loan and went to pick them up at Ipswich. It was slightly embarrassing to be collecting 'The Sexual Life of Savages' ( could be about British tourists in Magaluf! 😄 

Anyway, I went, was suitably refreshed, came back and handed in my notice a month or two later!

Not much to show for it in the way of photos as my camera wasn't working properly. I had to jam the zoom lens tight onto the camera to keep out light but this meant not being able to focus properly.  I did buy a grass skirt but it no longer fits me 😁

A1X4J4.jpg

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I had this as a real question back in 2000 when I was still teaching. I came across the chance to apply for a 'mid-career refreshment grant' for teachers offered by Goldmsiths' Company of London. After quite a bit of thinking about all sorts of adventures I submitted an application to visit the Trobriand Islands - this meant I could tie it in with something academic relating to Bronisław Malinowski one of the founders of Social Anthropology. I had to do  a little research for the interview so I ordered some of his books through Inter-Library loan and went to pick them up at Ipswich. It was slightly embarrassing to be collecting 'The Sexual Life of Savages' ( could be about British tourists in Magaluf! 😄 

Anyway, I went, was suitably refreshed, came back and handed in my notice a month or two later!

Not much to show for it in the way of photos as my camera wasn't working properly. I had to jam the zoom lens tight onto the camera to keep out light but this meant not being able to focus properly.  I did buy a grass skirt but it no longer fits me 😁

A1X4J4.jpg

The Sexual Life of Savages in Magaluf would make for a fabulous PhD. BTW, I used to know a doctor of sexual deviancy but the relationship was destined to fail from the outset due to the lack of my missionary zeal! ;-)

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

Wether abroad or in the UK I keep my camera bag with me at all times. In the UK I usually carry a back pack containing a small laptop and 3 bodies with 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300mm lenses attached. If on the way home I nip into a supermarket my camera bag is on my back. I've got used to the weight and bulk, but thinking to the future am looking into changing to a lighter kit without sacrificing quality. Many many years ago I was staying in a hotel in Amsterdam with my to be wife. At night I locked my camera shoulder bag containing 2 x OM1 bodies and a selection of prime lenses in my rooms wardrobe, and at breakfast time it went with me downstairs. My wife said I was being over cautious. The next morning my wife woke to find her shoulder bag containing passport, money, a reasonable compact camera, exposed films and much more had been stolen. The windows were open due to the heat, and there was a ledge outside the window running all along the front, we were on the second floor. During the night someone had accessed 3 rooms stealing anything within reach of the open windows. We then lost time having to visit a police station to obtain a report detailing what had been stolen for the insurance claim. Keeping photographic kit with you may be a pain, but it's safer.

Sorry to hear that, what a pain. At least we are keeping the chiropractors and osteopaths in business!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jansos said:

I'm thankful that i only really use mirrorless cameras, so x-pro/x100 and always taking a couple primes, couple zooms etc...stored in a large backpack which includes laptop external drives etc whilst travelling but leaving at hotels/BnB's during the stay, i take along a smaller backpack or Hadley Pro for day trips taking one body and a couple lenses. then alternate when i fancy a different fov. Have been very lucky theft wise but i am cautious verging on paranoia. The one thing i need to start doing is taking a tripod on trips which i find a royal pain yet feel its needed. 

• Love 1

A body, 1-2 lenses, zooms if you have them for flexibility. A spare battery and charger for the camera; optionally, mirrorless cameras only need a USB charging/data cable if you want to skip the battery charger.  A few memory cards to cover the trip; optionally, if you don't have enough memory cards to cover, get a bare SSD hard drive, and a SATA to USB adapter (to plug) into your USB OTG enabled android phone. that way you can transfer images from those memory cards each night into a backup without needing a separate laptop or tablet device.

Edited by sooth

I've always wanted to see the UK countryside - England, Wales, Scotland, and since it's been 42 years since I was last in London (other than a brief airport layover on the way from Edinburgh to Rome in 2007), it's high on my bucket list as is visiting London for the 3rd time (it's changed a lot since January 1980). Can you take a train through the countryside - with something akin to a Eurail Pass - or will I have to brave driving on the opposite side of the road? I'd also love to see the Irish countryside. My husband's grandmother is from Sligo so that's on the list. That trip could easily take a couple of months. An internet artist friend who's retired to the Cornwall coast has offered me an open invite and being a beach lover, I really want to explore that area too. And the Lake District. 

I also want to go back to Iceland. Only had 3 1/2 days there - nowhere near enough time. In fall so I can see the northern lights. 

Japan, during cherry blossom season.

Alaska, when I can be sure it's safe to take a cruise (Covid and vertigo-wise). 

I'd love to see more of the National Parks out west - take a trip through Utah to Bryce Canyon and others and to Yosemite in California and up to Montana and back to Glacier National Park again and up through it to Waterton on the Canadian side That Prince of Wales Hotel looks amazing!  And here on the east coast - PEI and Nova Scotia. Maine is also gorgeous - I've been there twice at 25 and 50 - don't want to wait until I'm 75 to get there again. Maine has more lighthouses than any other state - I even bought a map of them all for a trip that got cancelled. 

I live in NY and have driven up to Canada but have never seen Niagara Falls - I hear the Canadian side is the place to visit, so I need a new passport even for someplace I can drive to. 

Also the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  I'd love to visit there with my husband, daughter, grandson & SIL. It seems like such an old-fashioned family vacation. 

I loved the Stockholm Archipelago which I only saw from the deck of a cruise ship. I'd love to vacation on one of those islands in a charming little red cabin. A Eurail pass and a month or two spent traveling through Europe would be great. But nowhere near long enough for all I want to see...

I have cousins who live in Matterra, Italy (birthplace of my paternal grandfather) and I want to visit them and see those amazing caves. A good friend moved back to Malta some years ago, so I'd love to visit her and see some of the other islands in the area too. I've been to Italy a few times but mostly the big cities - I'd love to visit Naples where my paternal grandmother was born and the Abruzzi region where my maternal grandmother hails from. My other grandfather was born here in the US and I'm not sure where his parents were born but I'd like to find out and visit that too. 

I'll stop now, but there is still so much I want to see. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Ho sempre voluto vedere la campagna del Regno Unito - Inghilterra, Galles, Scozia, e dato che sono passati 42 anni dall'ultima volta che sono stato a Londra (a parte una breve sosta in aeroporto sulla strada da Edimburgo a Roma nel 2007), è sbalorditivo la mia lista dei desideri in quanto sto visitando Londra per la terza volta (è cambiata molto dal gennaio 1980). Puoi prendere un treno attraverso la campagna - con qualcosa di simile a un Eurail Pass - o dovrò osare guidando sul lato opposto della strada? Mi piacerebbe anche vedere la campagna irlandese. La nonna di mio marito è di Sligo, quindi è sulla lista. Quel viaggio potrebbe facilmente durare un paio di mesi. Un amico artista di Internet che si è ritirato sulla costa della Cornovaglia mi ha offerto un invito aperto ed essendo un amante della spiaggia, voglio davvero esplorare anche quella zona. E il Distretto dei Laghi. 

Voglio anche tornare in Islanda. Ho avuto solo 3 1/2 giorni lì - non abbastanza tempo. In autunno così posso vedere l'aurora boreale. 

Giappone, durante la stagione della fioritura dei ciliegi.

Alaska, quando posso essere sicuro che è sicuro fare una crociera (Covid e vertigini). 

Mi piacerebbe vedere più parchi nazionali a ovest: fare un viaggio attraverso lo Utah fino al Bryce Canyon e altri e allo Yosemite in California e fino al Montana e tornare di nuovo al Glacier National Park e attraverso di esso fino a Waterton sul lato canadese Quel Prince of Wales Hotel è fantastico! E qui sulla costa orientale - PEI e Nuova Scozia. Anche il Maine è stupendo - ci sono stato due volte a 25 e 50 - non voglio aspettare fino a quando avrò 75 anni per arrivarci di nuovo. Il Maine ha più fari di qualsiasi altro stato - ho persino comprato una mappa di tutti loro per un viaggio che è stato cancellato. 

Vivo a New York e ho guidato fino in Canada ma non ho mai visto le Cascate del Niagara - ho sentito che la parte canadese è il posto da visitare, quindi ho bisogno di un nuovo passaporto anche per un posto dove posso guidare. 

Anche il Grand Hotel sull'isola di Mackinac. Mi piacerebbe visitare lì con mio marito, mia figlia, mio nipote e SIL. Sembra una vacanza in famiglia così vecchio stile. 

Ho adorato l'arcipelago di Stoccolma che ho visto solo dal ponte di una nave da crociera. Mi piacerebbe andare in vacanza su una di quelle isole in un'affascinante capanna rossa. Un pass Eurail e un mese o due trascorsi in viaggio attraverso l'Europa sarebbe fantastico. Ma neanche lontanamente abbastanza a lungo per tutto quello che voglio vedere...

Ho dei cugini che vivono a Matera, in Italia (città natale di mio nonno paterno) e voglio visitarli e vedere quelle meravigliose grotte. Una buona amica è tornata a Malta alcuni anni fa, quindi mi piacerebbe visitarla e vedere anche alcune delle altre isole della zona. Sono stato alcune volte in Italia ma soprattutto nelle grandi città - mi piacerebbe visitare Napoli dove è nata mia nonna paterna e l'Abruzzo da cui proviene mia nonna materna. L'altro mio nonno è nato qui negli Stati Uniti e non sono sicuro di dove siano nati i suoi genitori, ma mi piacerebbe scoprirlo e visitare anche quello. 

Mi fermo ora, ma c'è ancora così tanto che voglio vedere. 

Ciao Marianne,

The whole of Italy is beautiful, north, central and south. The mountains of my Trentino are wonderful. In September I will go to visit Matera. I walk Via Peuceta (from Bari Matera) - 175 kilometers

• Love 1
  • Like 1

We were relentless travellers when we lived in the UK - both for work and pleasure. BUT since we moved to Australia 18 years ago the travel bug disappeared and the thoughts of airports and flying are total turn-offs.

For places to photograph I am surprised no-one has mentioned New Zealand. The scenery, wildlife (penguins and albatros in one day), geology, glaciers, all in a nice safe, compact area. (Earthquakes can be disturbing.)

And there's such a lot of Australia, colour and light...

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

If you ever get back to the UK and or Scotland give me a shout and if I'm still here I may be able to drive you around to different places you cannot get around by public transport 

Thanks so much - what a lovely offer!

6 hours ago, lorenza said:

Ciao Marianne,

The whole of Italy is beautiful, north, central and south. The mountains of my Trentino are wonderful. In September I will go to visit Matera. I walk Via Peuceta (from Bari Matera) - 175 kilometers

Wow! That's some walk!

I've only been to the north and central -  Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Venice. The first time I went to Florence I was 16, traveling with a group from my Catholic girls' high school and we stayed in a convent. It was 1974. The young men who lived across the way would flirt with us endlessly and the nuns would yell at them. It was quite a comical scene. And they were amazing cooks, the food was sensational. Just like my Noni made. I was always very tiny for my age and when there were leftovers, they'd try to get me to eat them. (I grew nearly an inch that summer from 4'10" to 4'11' so it must have worked 😎) Seeing the David in person for the first time was one of the most profound moments of my life. I love Italy and can't wait to go back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sandi said:

We were relentless travellers when we lived in the UK - both for work and pleasure. BUT since we moved to Australia 18 years ago the travel bug disappeared and the thoughts of airports and flying are total turn-offs.

For places to photograph I am surprised no-one has mentioned New Zealand. The scenery, wildlife (penguins and albatros in one day), geology, glaciers, all in a nice safe, compact area. (Earthquakes can be disturbing.)

And there's such a lot of Australia, colour and light...

Australia & New Zealand are on my bucket list too! A 22-hour flight, and lots of area to cover, so I'll need lots of time. So many places to see. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1