Travel pics, if money was no object and licence returns didn't matter!

I would like to repeat a trip I made back in my mid twenties, one of my faves.  I drove up to Maine and then took a ferry to Nova Scotia, Canada...from there I spent three weeks exploring the Maritime Provinces (except for Newfoundland).  I loved everything about that trip, was on my own and everyone I met was so great to me, such a beautiful part of the world!

• Love 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

If you're ever back in Mexico, the Copper Canyon (Barranca del Cobre) is a beautiful train trip, from Los Mochis on the coast to the city of Chihuahua. Lots of interesting stops in between as well. I've done it twice, first time over 30 years ago. It was a real adventure back then.

As Edo pointed out above, there is so much travail in travel (not to mention the rising expense) these days that global meandering is not nearly as appealing (to me anyway) as it used to be. Then there is the environmental impact. Transportation remains the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions, which apparently are causing a few problems around the world.

interestingly i would love a comparison my environmental impact of one year of meandering through Europe with extensive parts done by foot (Camino and long hikes) and the rest by trains, little consumerism,  to that of most person in North America driving an SUV to do groceries. 

and yes i would love to do Barranca del Cobre

Edited by meanderingemu

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

interestingly i would love a comparison my environmental impact of one year of meandering through Europe with extensive parts done by foot (Camino and long hikes) and the rest by trains, little consumerism,  to that of most person in North America driving an SUV to do groceries. 

and yes i would love to do Barranca del Cobre

Good point. Driving your gas-guzzling SUV to the corner store to pick up a litre of milk is sadly quite common in Vancouver. Here's a pic from my first trip to the Copper Canyon. The train is a lot fancier now.

0riginal Ferrocarriles Nacional de Mexico train skirting the Rio Septentrion river, Copper Canyon, Chihuahua, Mexico Stock Photo

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

But I've not been to Cuba,

Cuba has always interested me, Iceland too. Over the years other trips never happened for various reasons. Lottery wins of a few pounds will never finance those trips.

Edited by sb photos

Interestingly just had 12 days in Scotland , and almost ran out of memory cards , although Im English I had previously seen very little north of Edinburgh- the scenery was just stunning. Had a job getting my wife to leave Oban and Glen Coe 

Also on my list

Iceland

Norway

Japan- heading there in March hopefully

South America

Costa Rica

Edited by Foreign Export
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

By the way a “mortal coil” doesn’t “unwind”; it’s what you “shuffle off”…  😎

But doesn't it have to unwind in order to become loose enough for you to shuffle off?

Alan

• Love 1

23 hours ago, John Morrison said:

....By the way a “mortal coil” doesn’t “unwind”; it’s what you “shuffle off”…  😎

You are quite right and thanks for correcting me but it feels more like an unwinding than a shuffle. ;-)

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

... Even if money was not an issue, right now in the UK, there are rail strikes, airport problems, and punishing cues for the Dover Tunnel. 🤨

Yes, we are well and truly stuffed and when we return from our collective travels in the autumn the price of energy is going to be through the roof and we will be wanting to emigrate to warmer places where beer doesn't cost £6.50 a pint!

5 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

Glad you both enjoyed it so much That side is stunning West coast of Scotland is most peoples favourite Hoping to go up that way sometime this year 

Wanted to have time for some more serious photography, but we had packed in so many locations to see it wasn't going to happen- still thats good as I treated it as a scouting session for a future return in 2023

22 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sometimes I feel I've traveled too much. But I've not been to Cuba, New Orleans, nor Africa below the Sahara. I've never been to Greece either. Those are all places I wanted to go. 

Even if money was not an issue, right now in the UK, there are rail strikes, airport problems, and punishing cues for the Dover Tunnel. 🤨

Cuba is a place I'd still like to visit if the travel bug ever returns (along with the necessary funds). Also, I've had a yearning to see Peru for several years now. So you never know...

On 29/07/2022 at 19:34, Ed Rooney said:

Sometimes I feel I've traveled too much. But I've not been to Cuba, New Orleans, nor Africa below the Sahara. I've never been to Greece either. Those are all places I wanted to go. 

Even if money was not an issue, right now in the UK, there are rail strikes, airport problems, and punishing cues for the Dover Tunnel. 🤨

If my destination of photographic interest is more than 150 miles from home it is too much.🧐

Allan

On 30/07/2022 at 20:19, Allan Bell said:

If my destination of photographic interest is more than 150 miles from home it is too much.🧐

Allan

In my curiosity to understand where you could get to within 150 miles from Lincoln I discovered - https://withinhours.com/241-km-of-lincoln-united-kingdom

Quite a useful tool, might use it myself.

Edited by Jansos
typo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Cuba is a place I'd still like to visit if the travel bug ever returns (along with the necessary funds). Also, I've had a yearning to see Peru for several years now. So you never know...

I've been to all the countries in South America except the Guianas. It's a wonder my Spanish isn't better. Cuba and New Orleans were easy options, always something I would do next week . . . until they weren't anymore. Even before Cuba and the US opened up, I had my Irish passport. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

In my curiosity to understand where you could get to within 150 miles from Lincoln I discovered - https://withinhours.com/241-km-of-lincoln-united-kingdom

Quite a useful too, might use it myself.

Thanks for that tool. It looks interesting. Do not like the "Cities" it brings up in the area. Like Nettleham, Skellingthorpe, etc. (villages) and many more like that.🤨

If I drive 150 miles I need an overnight stopover so would make a long weekend or midweek break and costs do mean I would not be able to do a lot of them in a year.

Allan

On 29/07/2022 at 20:26, Michael Ventura said:

I would like to repeat a trip I made back in my mid twenties, one of my faves.  

Me too. There were places I visited while in my 20's too. I did re visit a few when in my 50's and was disappointed, so much had changed there, and we change to. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've been to all the countries in South America except the Guianas. It's a wonder my Spanish isn't better. Cuba and New Orleans were easy options, always something I would do next week . . . until they weren't anymore. Even before Cuba and the US opened up, I had my Irish passport. 

I found that taking Spanish courses has helped me a lot. I enrolled in a couple in San Miguel back in the late 80's and 90's. At one point, I even hired a private tutor there. In addition, I've taken Spanish courses here in Vancouver. I can now get by in Spanish, but I'm far from fluent. Same goes with French, which I studied throughout my school years in Montreal. Not sure what it is about Anglo-Saxons. We're just not that great at picking up other languages. Multilingual Europeans put us to shame.

Funny aside: I was once chatting with a Mexico City taxi driver, and he asked if I was Cuban. I thought, "Wow, my Spanish must be really improving." Later I discovered that many Mexicans think Cubans speak awful Spanish.

58 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I found that taking Spanish courses has helped me a lot. I enrolled in a couple in San Miguel back in the late 80's and 90's. At one point, I even hired a private tutor there. In addition, I've taken Spanish courses here in Vancouver. I can now get by in Spanish, but I'm far from fluent. Same goes with French, which I studied throughout my school years in Montreal. Not sure what it is about Anglo-Saxons. We're just not that great at picking up other languages. Multilingual Europeans put us to shame.

Funny aside: I was once chatting with a Mexico City taxi driver, and he asked if I was Cuban. I thought, "Wow, my Spanish must be really improving." Later I discovered that many Mexicans think Cubans speak awful Spanish.

One difference between the Americas and Europe is foreign language courses in Europe  begin in the third grade, and the countries that speak them aren't that far away.  People from the Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua commonly speak Creole English, an indigenous language or three, and Spanish.  On the Pacific coast, Spanish with English if people lived in the US.  I've met kids whose six years of English studies didn't make them fluent, and I've been mistaken for an Argentinian in Mexico for whatever reason.  I was able to manage a chat with Immigration and the National Police without an interpreter, but, mheh.  The only place where I could reliably find English speakers in Mexico City was in computer stores, same here, just not as fluent as the Mexicans most of the time. 

I've met some spectacularly bilingual kids here who were fluent in both English and Spanish, with parents from each language community.   And one who spoke English fluently with a Midwestern accent (private English school in Managua).  Some who were fluent in Swedish and Spanish -- Swedish kin of a Nicaraguan friend. 

You have to start young to be really fluent, before high school.   I've met French Canadian tourists who couldn't speak English that well, too.

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

One difference between the Americas and Europe is foreign language courses in Europe  begin in the third grade, and the countries that speak them aren't that far away.  People from the Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua commonly speak Creole English, an indigenous language or three, and Spanish.  On the Pacific coast, Spanish with English if people lived in the US.  I've met kids whose six years of English studies didn't make them fluent, and I've been mistaken for an Argentinian in Mexico for whatever reason.  I was able to manage a chat with Immigration and the National Police without an interpreter, but, mheh.  The only place where I could reliably find English speakers in Mexico City was in computer stores, same here, just not as fluent as the Mexicans most of the time. 

I've met some spectacularly bilingual kids here who were fluent in both English and Spanish, with parents from each language community.   And one who spoke English fluently with a Midwestern accent (private English school in Managua).  Some who were fluent in Swedish and Spanish -- Swedish kin of a Nicaraguan friend. 

You have to start young to be really fluent, before high school.   I've met French Canadian tourists who couldn't speak English that well, too.

As mentioned, my Spanish isn't too bad (for a fake Cuban) now. However, it has taken me years to get this far. When I visit Latin America, which isn't very often these days, I try to converse in Spanish only, and my comfort with the language starts to improve considerably. A lot of Québécois still don't speak much English, especially older people in rural areas. Some don't know any English at all, which must be very isolating. Younger people in Quebec are for the most part now totally bilingual, which is a huge improvement from when I was growing up there in the 50's and 60's. I've been on the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua. It's an interesting place. Kinda reminds me of Belize, where they speak an indecipherable creole.

I am living the dream as we speak…not so much a trip but we moved to Cape Breton Nova Scotia from Ontario 8 weeks ago.  It is simply gorgeous and so full of photo opportunities.  The people are so kind and welcoming.  Best decision ever!

• Love 3
  • Like 1