How was your October 2019?

13 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Just 1 sale, but major one:   $292 gross -- largest single amount I sold my pic anywhere.  Some west USA magazine: print, digital and electronic   Print run: up to 5 million.   Am actually quite curious who is the customer.    Might start believing I am doing something right.

As it has Digital use, try a reverse image search, it may show up somewhere (eventually). My biggest single sale was nearly $500, and I had a few around $300 - $400 when I first started with Alamy, but that was a long time ago.

Another poor month for me.  16 sales for $412 gross, $160 net.  This month that was a tie with my other endeavour - $163 net.

But with the $21 for DACS TV, Alamy came out ahead.

Edited by Reimar
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Just 1 this month for a whopping $5.30 gross.

And, after waiting the whole month to get a zoom, I ended up getting 8 in the last 3 days, taking my total CTR up to 1.05 with an average of 0.89. So, silver linings and all that.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 18:44, Betty LaRue said:

I wish! I love beautiful nature!

Check out red-earred slider, Scripta elegans. Might be Trachemys scripta elegans. 

Older males can sometimes have a dark greyish-olive green melanistic coloration, with very subdued markings. The red stripe on the sides of the head may be difficult to see or be absent. The female's appearance is substantially the same throughout her life.

These originated in the U.S. but have been bought as pets and released around the world. They are considered an invasive species and are banned in some countries.  We have them in my part of the world. I thought I recognized yours.

Besides identifying them in your caption and tags, I’d also use words like invasive, invasive species. Check out Wikipedia.

Betty, you are golden :)   I do latin names for occasional flower/plant macro, but it totally didn't cross my mind to do it for turtles!  Also "invasive" "species" keyword is not something I'd normally think.   So thanks bunches!   

btw went on a hike today and ran into porcupine.  He/she was willing to stand still and pose for me;  luckily I had my 70-300L Canon lens so I am quite hopeful I got couple of good ones (although I am not sure if there is market for porcupine photos!)

12 hours ago, Shergar said:

My guess! The price is about right and the clues you have given point towards  AAA Westway magazine . Thats triple A

I had Westways while living in US;   that would be then for their travel section (it was image of Manuel Antonio beach in Costa Rica):

scenic-sunset-view-and-dramatic-landscap

I can find image on several places online, including Fodors  Travel Guide (entry 5 of 10)   https://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica/experiences/news/these-are-the-10-best-beaches-in-costa-rica  but this was through micros.  So Westways guess could be good one.   I am now regretting I uploaded this on micros but it's too late.  It would be easier if I'd have ability to recognize high end landscape with commercial potential

On 01/11/2019 at 01:12, Michael Ventura said:

Best month of the year for me!  A great rally in this last week of the month.  27 sales for $1,722 gross.  Happy with that!

I too had what I think was my best month ever for sales, one more than September. Unfortunately, prices were weak. 

It's only fair that Michael did better on prices. He's still an excellent pro shooter, works harder, and aims his images at commercial and editorial sales. I just do editorial. 

Edo

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I too had what I think was my best month ever for sales, one more than September. Unfortunately, prices were weak. 

It's only fair that Michael did better on prices. He's still an excellent pro shooter, works harder, and aims his images at commercial and editorial sales. I just do editorial. 

Edo

Thanks Edo, not sure I work harder than anyone else here but I do live and shoot in a locale that is good for stock, the Washington, D.C. area.  I shoot mostly what I enjoy shooting and try to keep the potential buyer in mind while taking the photos.  Alamy has been a good fit for me for the type of stock I shoot.  I also shoot a super wide variety of subjects, I think that helps a lot.

15 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

I can find image on several places online, including Fodors  Travel Guide (entry 5 of 10)   https://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica/experiences/news/these-are-the-10-best-beaches-in-costa-rica  but this was through micros.  So Westways guess could be good one.   I am now regretting I uploaded this on micros but it's too late.  It would be easier if I'd have ability to recognize high end landscape with commercial potential

It might not be too late. I'd be inclined to delete this one from those other places ASAP.

• Like 1

No sales, but $30 DACS. An image that sold earlier in the year was zoomed again, so potentially something to come before the end of the year, but statistically I've already made my expected quota (by volume).

• Love 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It might not be too late. I'd be inclined to delete this one from those other places ASAP.

That is interesting discussion John & something I've been thinking quite a bit in terms of general strategy going forward, as rates some of these micros are paying are downright disrespectful.  But this is "How was your October" thread so it is off-topic.    Thanks for suggestion though!

18 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Betty, you are golden :)   I do latin names for occasional flower/plant macro, but it totally didn't cross my mind to do it for turtles!  Also "invasive" "species" keyword is not something I'd normally think.   So thanks bunches!   

btw went on a hike today and ran into porcupine.  He/she was willing to stand still and pose for me;  luckily I had my 70-300L Canon lens so I am quite hopeful I got couple of good ones (although I am not sure if there is market for porcupine photos!)

👍

I thought I had replied to this thread but apparently not!

Pretty average all round 11 sales for $304, although revenue was the 4th best of the last 12 months.

Heading for my 4th best year for sales and 6th best for revenue out of 12 years.

john.

• Love 1

On 11/9/2019 at 13:05, wiskerke said:

Did I just forget to post or did I repress it?

Worst month of the year. Worst since Nov 2017 actually.

21 for 563

wim

Well they say, the higher you climb the harder you fall.  My fall was just as hard and more painful; stayed sat there with my mouth open trying to figure out what happened and what went wrong,  trying to remember the last such sad month and I couldn't, must have been a very long time ago. 14 sales for $203.93. with PU refunds adding insult to injury.  Have got up now dusted myself off, tied up my shoelaces and returned to key wording what I had uploaded already.  After months and months of deliberation, finally restricted PUs, I was not getting anything from them other than refunds month after month.  Will see how that goes.  Well 14 is still better than 0 and I could have a killer month soon, some people live in hope, you know? 

Helen

• 2 weeks later...