Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 December 2018
End: 01 December 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

 

Full page - not sure where - it says placement: inside then lower down it says 3 months inside or cover.  Magazine for five years, full page, so are these newspaper sales?

I did think only personal use could have such a low price (all 3 for same price just over $6 each gross).

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's unbelievable!  Alamy, when are you going to stop this bullsh!t?!  Whatever about the commission change, these prices are a joke.  Please sell our images for a decent price!!!  :angry::angry::angry:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOW AS WE CAN GO? -- Not really. I got three distributor RF sales on the last day of January, at lower than yours $,  to China. Good to see they are PAYING for photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a low-value, distributor RF sale to China reported today, too. 

Edited by Cecile Marion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sue Heaton said:

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 December 2018
End: 01 December 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

 

Full page - not sure where - it says placement: inside then lower down it says 3 months inside or cover.  Magazine for five years, full page, so are these newspaper sales?

I did think only personal use could have such a low price (all 3 for same price just over $6 each gross).

Ditto 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sue Heaton said:

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 December 2018
End: 01 December 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

 

Full page - not sure where - it says placement: inside then lower down it says 3 months inside or cover.  Magazine for five years, full page, so are these newspaper sales?

I did think only personal use could have such a low price (all 3 for same price just over $6 each gross).

I had two of these today, identical terms, same price. Two uses of the same photo, so thank goodness for RM.

It's not the lowest I've had. I've had three which netted under $1 with wide rights (distributor)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had two of the distributor sales to China show up today also. The two together “might” buy me a hamburger at Burger King.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sue Heaton said:

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Nope it ain't. This feels a bit like a Dutch Auction but I had $5 00 on 31 Jan. Quote "One use in a single editorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom."  MASSIVE. Also feels a bit like Microstock. So much for upmarket Alamy.||||  Trouble is that it was my only sale in two months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no its not

 

just had editiorial, any size, in perpetuity - for $1.23

 

just had a sale to China for a much better $$$ amount

 

Edited by Foreign Export

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 2 days had 4 sales to China for $3.63 each

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that these are bulk deal sales to very large magazine groups like Baeur (used to be EMAP) or IPC. A full page cover or inside for this price is a joke. These bulk deals are becoming more commonplace and benefit both the customer and Alamy but NOT the photographer! Market forces will always dictate prices but does it really cost Alamy as much to sell 100 files in one go as it does a single file? With the reduction to 40% without a demonstrable increase in revenue to the photographer this seems like Alamy are only interested in their bottom line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, regen said:

I think that these are bulk deal sales to very large magazine groups like Baeur (used to be EMAP) or IPC. A full page cover or inside for this price is a joke. These bulk deals are becoming more commonplace and benefit both the customer and Alamy but NOT the photographer! Market forces will always dictate prices but does it really cost Alamy as much to sell 100 files in one go as it does a single file? With the reduction to 40% without a demonstrable increase in revenue to the photographer this seems like Alamy are only interested in their bottom line.

Exactly.  It's time something was done about this - what, I don't know, but it has to change.  Alamy is taking the pi$$.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gabbro said:

LOW AS WE CAN GO? -- Not really. I got three distributor RF sales on the last day of January, at lower than yours $,  to China. Good to see they are PAYING for photos.

Well, they are reporting them anyway - paying is another matter. I have 2 tiddlers to China, both via distributor, one in July and one in October. Neither has cleared yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Exactly.  It's time something was done about this - what, I don't know, but it has to change.  Alamy is taking the pi$$.

 

It's why I have been trying to get in with other agencies (in with 2, and trying for a third) - and why I am glad I never listed a lot of content on alamy. Not long ago, they seemed like the ideal choice for me, but given time on these forums, I am honestly left with the feeling sometimes they aren't much better than Microstock. Rightly or wrongly.

 

Of course, I have no idea how things will go with these other agencies, but I figured my best bet was to split among several, and see how things went. As opposed to my original plan to only use Alamy.

 

Maybe Alamy will turn out to be the best option for me anyway down the line, but I won't know for a while.

 

Hopefully I will have about 500 images on each agency before long - except the one, as they are quite niche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Foreign Export said:

no its not

 

just had editiorial, any size, in perpetuity - for $1.23

 

just had a sale to China for a much better $$$ amount

 

Ditto, this dropped in yesterday:

 

Country: Worldwide

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Travel & tourism

Image Size: Any size

Start: 31 January 2019

End: 31 January 2024

NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity.

$1.23

 

And no, I don't care if I get a whole load of "don't post the value, it'll let buyers know how low they can go". I no longer give two hoots, frankly. We're already there. This is Black Friday, Monday-Sunday, 365 days a year. Welcome to the quality agency that is Alamy. Personally, I've given up on them a long time ago.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

 

It's why I have been trying to get in with other agencies (in with 2, and trying for a third) - and why I am glad I never listed a lot of content on alamy. Not long ago, they seemed like the ideal choice for me, but given time on these forums, I am honestly left with the feeling sometimes they aren't much better than Microstock. Rightly or wrongly.

 

Of course, I have no idea how things will go with these other agencies, but I figured my best bet was to split among several, and see how things went. As opposed to my original plan to only use Alamy.

 

Maybe Alamy will turn out to be the best option for me anyway down the line, but I won't know for a while.

 

Hopefully I will have about 500 images on each agency before long - except the one, as they are quite niche.

 

Alamy are Microstock even if they say that they are not and will sell for what ever they can get, regardless of what the contributors think. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sue Heaton said:

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 December 2018
End: 01 December 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

 

 

 

I have had an image with exactly the same terms come through today. It's interesting that I don't see the price of magazines dropping.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, imageplotter said:

Ditto, this dropped in yesterday:

 

Country: Worldwide

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Travel & tourism

Image Size: Any size

Start: 31 January 2019

End: 31 January 2024

NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity.

$1.23

 

And no, I don't care if I get a whole load of "don't post the value, it'll let buyers know how low they can go". I no longer give two hoots, frankly. We're already there. This is Black Friday, Monday-Sunday, 365 days a year. Welcome to the quality agency that is Alamy. Personally, I've given up on them a long time ago.

 

NU means Novel Use and I suspect you have the same website that I have had. I've had two of them. I'm going to opt out in April because I just don't see that sort of sale as novel use. The app use in perpetuity seems particularly awful.

 

Paulette

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sue Heaton said:

Is this as low as we can go - I have had some cheap sales but these take the biscuit - I have had 3 sales today all with the following details:

 

Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 December 2018
End: 01 December 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

 

Full page - not sure where - it says placement: inside then lower down it says 3 months inside or cover.  Magazine for five years, full page, so are these newspaper sales?

I did think only personal use could have such a low price (all 3 for same price just over $6 each gross).

 

 

2 of my 3 sales this month are the same. The other is an obviously fraudulent PU sale. Just about had my fill with Alamy's pricing policy.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your replies - although it is rather distressing to find out it is so widespread.  I contribute to one other agency and will just have to concentrate on uploading to them whilst I see how things pan out here.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 00:47, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had two of the distributor sales to China show up today also. The two together “might” buy me a hamburger at Burger King.

I was charged £11 by Burger King for a meal at Heathrow Airport recently on my return from a photo trip. 

 

I had 2 sales paying 60 cents net each and 1 paying $1 net recently on Alamy. Not much chance of a burger from those. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, had a NU one 0.61 net. And that was based on 50% commission. Opting out in april. If I don't forget :huh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andremichel said:

I was charged £11 by Burger King for a meal at Heathrow Airport recently on my return from a photo trip. 

 

I had 2 sales paying 60 cents net each and 1 paying $1 net recently on Alamy. Not much chance of a burger from those. 

You got robbed. Just a whopper alone, no meal, I believe is $3-something here. Of course, airports usually do have sky high (pun) prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You got robbed. Just a whopper alone, no meal, I believe is $3-something here. Of course, airports usually do have sky high (pun) prices.

But that's in cheap-consumer-goods USA!

Still, that was expensive in Heathrow, apparently (I had to look it up) it can be £6 for the meal, £4.19 for the basic sandwich in Cheltenham, but the price varies by location.

https://burgerlad.com/burger-king-menu-prices-uk

So indeed I've had quite a few sales here which wouldn't buy me a basic burger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

 Of course, airports usually do have sky high (pun) prices.

 

LAX is the worst. Last time I went thru there, I got charged US$4.50 for a small plastic bottle of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.