A new dawn cometh

I am sort of excited at a distance about this - excited because I shoot Nikon and am very interested in mirrorless - at a distance because finances right now suggest I will not be getting new kit anytime soon lol.  I will watch developments with interest and fingers crossed when I do next want to buy kit there will be a mirrorless that I can use existing lenses with

Went mirrorless a few years back, currently using a Sony a6500. Wouldn't go back to a conventional DSLR. I actually much prefer the electronic viewfinder in the a6500 to that in my Canon DSLRs, it's easily possible to manually focus with 5x and 10x magnification available, not to mention contrast detect assistance. I don't shoot sport however so couldn't comment on that.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Went mirrorless a few years back, currently using a Sony a6500. Wouldn't go back to a conventional DSLR. I actually much prefer the electronic viewfinder in the a6500 to that in my Canon DSLRs, it's easily possible to manually focus with 5x and 10x magnification available, not to mention contrast detect assistance. I don't shoot sport however so couldn't comment on that.

No regrets here either. I continue to be very happy with my new Sony a6000 (under $500 US). I just sold the last of my DSLR equipment to help pay for it.

No turning back now...

............It’s taken Nikon so long to come up with the goods that we’re already three generations in to Sony’s highest resolution full-frame mirrorless. The Sony A7R III offers up a very similar resolution to the Z7 (42 megapixels), a faster frame rate (10fps), dual card slots (SD, though), plus a similar high-resolution viewfinder and screen combo – and it’s available at a cheaper price than the Z7.

Pretty much sums it all up

2 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Does this mean the inbuilt obsolescence related to the shutter actuations are no longer a factor? Maybe the price reflects that. It will be interesting to see if they put this model in their leasing plans which are available.

Surely it still has a mechanical shutter? No mirror flapping about, but still a shutter mechanism to wear out.

33 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Surely it still has a mechanical shutter? No mirror flapping about, but still a shutter mechanism to wear out.

My Sony CSCs have mechanical shutters, that on my much abused and very heavily used NEX 6 has partially failed, apparently fixable, but probably not cost effective. I can still shoot with it.

I believe (and sincerely hope) that the shutter on the a6500 is an upgrade, read somewhere it is rated at 200,000 cycles.

However there is a silent shooting mode, which, presumably, does not use the mechanical shutter but does have some limitations.

3 hours ago, ReeRay said:
............It’s taken Nikon so long to come up with the goods that we’re already three generations in to Sony’s highest resolution full-frame mirrorless. The Sony A7R III offers up a very similar resolution to the Z7 (42 megapixels), a faster frame rate (10fps), dual card slots (SD, though), plus a similar high-resolution viewfinder and screen combo – and it’s available at a cheaper price than the Z7.

Pretty much sums it all up

I'm amazed that there is only one card slot - that would be a kiiller for me if I was in the market for one which I'm not (I have the astounding D850) but having a backup card slot is essential in my opinion. The difference in frame rate is insignificant at 9  v 10. I think the Nikon viewfinder has a significantly higher resolution if what I read was correct. However, a major difference is that there is a huge range of Nikon lenses available with an adapter. 

They do look pretty sweet, but they are not enormously smaller than my beloved D750 and if I went that way I would have to keep my current lenses, which would still be the same size. For me mirrorless has to be Fuji tiny or I stay with SLR. For that money I would probably jump to the D850, which seems pretty impressive. 

Nikon hath cometh too late for me; I've sold all my Nikon DSLRs, SLRs, and trusted lenses.

Anything larger than the Sony RX100 series feels too heavy to lift now. And 42 pixels? Don't need that for Alamy editorial. If all else were fine, those Nikon mirrorless prices say -- stay away!

Edo

On August 24, 2018 at 04:41, spacecadet said:

The Nikon website says it has a "...focal-plane mechanical shutter; electronic front-curtain shutter; electronic shutter."  So I assume it has a full-function mechanical shutter, and some form of silent electronic shutter, like on the later Sonys.  

I remember when when I was l first looking at an nex-6 at a store and heard the shutter. I assumed that mirrorless cameras would have silent shutters, and that someone had turned on a shutter noise, only to find out that my own new nex-6 did indeed have a mechanical shutter. Not a problem--it's pretty quiet. 

Happy here with with my various Sony mirrorless.

Archived