A new dawn cometh

13 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

That's interesting Betty, because that's exactly what I did NOT see during the brief period when I had an X-T1, and was one of the main reasons why I didn't keep it. I believe you now have the X-T2 - is that correct? In which case perhaps I might be able to start looking at Fuji as a possible DSLR replacement again.

Alan

The WYSIWYG feature is on the X-T1. I will state this. For me, the change from Nikon to the X-T1 was hard. I’m not very technical, and there is a learning curve. That’s probably what you experienced. I kind of had 2 weeks of hell until I realized the camera wasn’t a canine, but a feline. Different animals. With the help of the Fuji forum, (much like the helpful people here) I got a grasp of it. I stuck it out, and you didn’t, Alan. I’m very bullheaded that way, if it’s something I want bad enough. You’ve heard about the snapping turtle that bites and holds on until it thunders? That’s me. When one hears great reviews, sees lovely images, but you get c**p results, it’s usually user error. That was me in a nutshell.

Once I grasped it, and began using all those handy knobs right at my fingertips, joy was put back into photography. It’s just a fun camera to shoot.  And yes, I have the T-2 now. The beauty of these cameras is there is NO menu diving once you set all your perimeters. The only time I go to the menu is to reformat my card. That’s where Fuji has it over Sony. Ergonomics and handiness. Oh, and all those beautiful lenses.

And I do have two slots, but only use one.

I will be soon be posting some Great Horned Owl shots. I will be interested, Alan, in what you think of them. Very stupidly, I thought I’d packed my birding lens, the 100-400, but when I got to my nephew’s farm where the owls resided while raising a young one, I found I’d packed my 50-140 instead. I just had to get closer, risk the male giving me a cutting thump on the head, (he got my nephew twice) and make the best of it.

Betty

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I stuck it out, and you didn’t, Alan. I’m very bullheaded that way, if it’s something I want bad enough. You’ve heard about the snapping turtle that bites and holds on until it thunders? That’s me. When one hears great reviews, sees lovely images, but you get c**p results, it’s usually user error.

Indeed, and I'm always prepared to look first at user error if I'm not getting the results I expect. But there were other problems with the X-T1 such as the very low battery life and the fact that the dials could easily be moved inadvertently (which I believe has been addressed in the X-T2). And if, as Reeray says, you need to use manual mode to get WYSIWYG then that's not what I want. I thought it was a lovely little camera and it produced beautiful photos but in the end, after I'd done several very careful tests, it didn't produce pictures that were any better than, or as consistently sharp as, my 5D2. If they had been better I would have persevered. Since at the time weight wasn't an issue for me I didn't see any reason to prefer it over the Canon or to keep the two. Since then my shoulder has started complaining and I'm now considering the issue of mirrorless all over again.

Alan

1 hour ago, ReeRay said:

Alan

You get WYSIWYG in all modes. I outlined what I considered the fastest way to get the exposure to taste.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Ah, thanks for that. Yes I did get a little confused.

What concerns me though is why I wouldn't have spotted that. It was a major cause of concern to me because I've always relied on a viewfinder to give me at least a relative view of exposure if not a 100% accurate one, so I can't believe that I wouldn't have scoured the manual to see if it was possible. Perhaps it was because of my other concerns that I didn't investigate it thoroughly. As I said, if the picture quality had been an improvement on the 5D2 I would have kept it, but however desirable it might have been to keep both I couldn't justify it financially. Also if it had fitted into a pocket I would have kept it as a replacement for the NEX6 as it's way better than the Sony.

Alan

Archived