I also dislike keywording. Sometimes I can only do a few before I find I am copying and pasting without thinking, which is when its time to stop, and start again when I am less tired. And yes, I am with Paulette on the new AIM, it makes it just that little bit harder. Keywords as non-editable text, the caption in a tiny light grey font squeezed into one line and the fact that you have to actively unselect each image being my big three teeth gnashing peeves in it.

Welcome to the guild of smartphoneless people John, my younger son offered me his old one but, being a Luddite, I refused.

Equally unconventionally, I quite enjoy keywording, and don't mind the new AIM, other than for the aforementioned need to deselect images. That drives me crazy, high time for a rethink Mr Alamy.

I like being able to use long tags, and, now that you can edit the input before adding a pasted expression, one of my major gripes has gone.

I also enjoy the research involved in keywording, and get satisfaction from honing the keywords over time, in light of customer search results.

However, like Ed, I also enjoy washing up, so realise that I may be into minority pleasures.

It's not just you, OP.

Although I do find the new AIM easier on the whole except for the practically uneditable over-50-tag legacy.

Over time one can paste over tags for similar images and tag in batches likewise before going over each image individually.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I too found keywording to be friendlier with the old AIM, but then I still drive a car with roll-up windows and I'm on my way to being the last person on the planet without a smartphone. B)

Another here, but I wouldn't turn one down.

I'd rather have my toe nails pulled out with a pair of long nosed pliers than go tagging, if I'm honest.  I hate it with a passion, but it's crucial so I just do it through gritted teeth, whilst listening to death metal!

No smartphone for me either. I had an iPhone but it was always beeping at me and giving me 'notifications' and only operating for a few hours before it needed recharging.

Keywording is a bore and, yes, the new IM is less user-friendly than the old version (which makes me wonder what Alamy were hearing from the beta testers). But i know too that accurate, realistic keywording is a 'second bite of the cherry': another opportunity, after the original choice of pix and editing, to get my images seen, then zoomed, then licensed...

I don't mind the basic keywording when an image has an obvious choice of lots of keywords.  It's those images that you have to stretch yourself to come up with 10, and you know there are a lot more out there to be researched.

I also don't mind the new AIM.  It is much easier to do the multi word tags and can help with all kinds of possible combinations. Deleting tags is a pain, but that is my real only complaint.  I have got used to deselecting images now so I don't accidentally add wrong keywords to a previously open image.

Love my smartphone.  But I am a tech junkie so love it all.  I only use about 5 or 6 apps on a regular basis, but they are a big part of my day and save me a lot of money, just on phone calls alone as everyone I know is long distance, so Skype, BBM and Google hangouts save tons for me.

For business, I take credit cards and debit cards with my phone, and instead of having customers constantly coming by my booth at a show to see if their collar or whatever is ready, I now simply text them when its done, so they only need to check their phone instead of bothering me every 10 minutes.

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I don't mind the basic keywording when an image has an obvious choice of lots of keywords.  It's those images that you have to stretch yourself to come up with 10, and you know there are a lot more out there to be researched.

I also don't mind the new AIM.  It is much easier to do the multi word tags and can help with all kinds of possible combinations. Deleting tags is a pain, but that is my real only complaint.  I have got used to deselecting images now so I don't accidentally add wrong keywords to a previously open image.

Love my smartphone.  But I am a tech junkie so love it all.  I only use about 5 or 6 apps on a regular basis, but they are a big part of my day and save me a lot of money, just on phone calls alone as everyone I know is long distance, so Skype, BBM and Google hangouts save tons for me.

For business, I take credit cards and debit cards with my phone, and instead of having customers constantly coming by my booth at a show to see if their collar or whatever is ready, I now simply text them when its done, so they only need to check their phone instead of bothering me every 10 minutes.

Jill

I’m with you, Jill. I have my and my husband’s surgeries and medicines listed in notes.  So easy, when going to a new medical facility to access that. If I recommend a product to a family member, I take a picture of it and send so they know what it looks like.

When I had a flat tire discovered when I came out of a shop, I was able to go on the Internet and find the phone number of my tire shop. There are no phone booths anymore and good luck finding a business that provide phone books.  I keep my coming appointments on my phone and get reminders. And, anyone who buys Groupons, when redeeming them at the business, all I have to do is bring the groupon up on my phone instead of needing to print it out.

I can access Google maps and find the route to a new place I’m trying to find and shows which side of the street it’s on.

Don’t get me started on businesses that don’t have their street number showing!!! My iPhone just makes life less complicated, period.

As far as keywording goes, I don’t mind it terribly other than the time it eats up. And I’ve always liked the new AIM because I keyword in Bridge and my keywords and captions arrive established. It’s just a matter of selecting supertags and filling out the Optional fields which I can do on my iPad from the comfort of my sofa.

My biggest gripe with it was how my legacy images arrived, and how long it took me to fix them. But that’s in my rear-view mirror now.

Betty

2 hours ago, andremichel said:

Keywording can be a chore but given the huge financial rewards can we really complain? 😉

HUH!:wacko:

Allan

Hey, no cell-phone here either!  I don't have that many people I need to talk to on the run.

But I do love my tablet for free newspaper, magazines, weather, free library books, music, alarm clock... and now it drives my 3T portable hard drive via WiFi.

After a shoot I'd like to just wack them all up without keywording, but to be honest the research required is almost always quite edifying.  When traveling especially, I don't have time to listen to tour operators or read all the pamphlets, but when I get home, I can relive the tour via all the details I find out from the internet.

I feel a lot better now about being smartphone-less. Thought I might be the Last of the Luddites. B)

I do have a basic, cheapo cellphone for calls only, but I'm not enamoured with smartphones (or the costs involved). I am looking into getting a tablet, though. Sounds like a good compromise. Any suggestions for an inexpensive one?

Too bad that the old AIM couldn't have been left running alongside the new one (impossible, I know). Together they might have made an awesome duo.

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I feel a lot better now about being smartphone-less. Thought I might be the Last of the Luddites. B)

I do have a basic, cheapo cellphone for calls only, but I'm not enamoured with smartphones (or the costs involved). I am looking into getting a tablet, though. Sounds like a good compromise. Any suggestions for an inexpensive one?

I just got a cheap $100 CAD Acer 7" Tablet with 16 GB.  A few apps may set you back a buck or two, but I think it's the best value for money deal I've seen.  Put a few free library e-books on there while traveling (or even waiting for the doctor) and I'll think you'll agree.

6 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I just got a cheap $100 CAD Acer 7" Tablet with 16 GB.  A few apps may set you back a buck or two, but I think it's the best value for money deal I've seen.  Put a few free library e-books on there while traveling (or even waiting for the doctor) and I'll think you'll agree.

Thanks very much. I'll look into that one. Sounds right up my alley. I have an Acer netbook which has served me well, but it has gotten really clunky and frustrating to use.

P.S. Is it this one?

27 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Not cheap but I use a Google Nexus 10 tablet, which is pretty good. I've done some keywording on it, and generally search for Newspaper images while idly lying in bed.

However, and this irks me considerably, it does not appear to be designed for ease of battery replacement, and mine is in need of a new battery. I believe that you can buy (3rd party) batteries and it is  just about possible to do the surgery required, but it's not for the faint hearted. Plus, will the dubious new battery burst into flames when under charge?

Once upon a time all battery powered kit was designed with replacement in mind, is this planned obsolescence or what?

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived