June Challenge - Bridge, Bridges

Bryan

My three.

Easter parade with Nuestra Senora de la Esperanza Macarena, Our Lady of Hope or Weeping Mary crossing Isabel II bridge Seville Spain April 2014easter-parade-with-nuestra-senora-de-la-esperanza-macarena-or-our-lady-of-hope-or-weeping-mary-crossing-isabel-ii-bridge-seville-spain-april-2014-2DHBCPF.jpg

Roman bridge over the River Pisuerga on a hot summer day Lantadilla Palencia Spainroman-bridge-over-the-river-pisuerga-with-people-on-a-hot-summer-day-lantadilla-palencia-spain-2JPG7CP.jpg

Relaxed person on grass near Saint Marys Bridge on the riverbank of the river Arlanzon Burgos Castile and Leon Spainrelaxed-person-on-grass-near-saint-marys-bridge-on-the-riverbank-of-the-river-arlanzon-burgos-castile-and-leon-spain-2K0J33M.jpg

• Like 1

View from a footbridge in the Jefferson Market Library...

aerial-view-of-a-reading-room-in-the-jef

S2K61R Library reading room

Fledgling using fire escape as a bridge from nest to trees.....

american-robin-fledgling-turdus-migrator
2BERXTW American Robin fledgling

An actual bridge....

ed-koch-queensboro-bridge-over-the-east-
S3W5N0 Queensboro Bridge, New York City

I did come up with three. Sort of...

Paulette

• Like 1

Crystal Bridge, (full of exotic plants) in the Myriad Gardens, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA 

the-crystal-bridge-located-in-the-myriad

Historic steel truss bridge over north Canadian river on old Route 66 near Bethany, Oklahoma.

a-historic-truss-bridge-over-the-north-c

Interior of Martin/Orton Farm covered bridge in Vermont, USA

the-martinorton-farm-bridge-a-covered-br

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

Lamps on the Pont Alexandre III (Alexandre III Bridge) on the River Seine, Paris, France 

lamps-on-the-pont-alexandre-iii-alexandr

A black and white image of a London taxi cab stopped on Westminster bridge as tourists make their way to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben 

a-black-and-white-image-of-a-london-taxi

Light trails from vehicles under the Vyne Road / Chapel Hill railway bridge E1/135A on railway line BML1 in Basingstoke at night time. UK

vyne-road-chapel-hill-railway-bridge-e11

The rail bridge looks pretty boring during the daytime, but 'cool' at night!

p.s. was also sorely tempted to put a picture of my guitar bridge in....  😆

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Bridge over the Thames at Marlow.

marlow-a-picturesque-market-town-in-buck

Small footbridge in Valley Gardens through the daffodils

people-enjoying-the-valley-gardens-with-

Remembrance poppy and plaque on Jackfield and Coalport Memorial Bridge over the River Severn near Ironbridge, Shropshire

remembrance-poppy-and-plaque-on-jackfiel

• Like 2

I don't have many bridges in my port, but found a few.

Swing bridge in Fenelon Falls, Ontario

old-out-of-service-swing-bridge-in-fenel

Bridge at a cottage in Ontario

wooden-bridge-over-a-culvert-in-grand-be

Lock with footbridge closing after boat has passed through in Fenelon Falls Ontario.

first-lock-gates-of-middle-chamber-closi

• Love 1

Nice, I love bridges. Three pictures from me

montreal-harbour-bridge-silhouetted-agai

Montreal's Pont Jacques Cartier silhouetted against a firework display.

people-going-for-an-evening-walk-at-suns

The Pont du Quebec and the frozen St Lawrence. It was cold that day. Really cold.

dramatic-lighting-on-eliean-donan-castle

Eilean Donan in Scotland. I love this castle - its a horror when there are 10 coaches parked there and the ice-cream-wrapper droppers are out in force, but as soon as the crowds go this is a magical location. And, like much of the Scottish highlands, it loses none of its magic when the weather is poor.

• Love 3

Great challenge topic, Bryan. Many tough acts to follow, but here are my three...

Cambie Bridge at sunset, Vancouver, Canada

a-flock-or-murder-of-crows-flying-over-t

Jogger on Canoe Bridge, Vancouver, Canada

jogger-running-across-the-canoe-bridge-i

Bridge made from an old sewer pipe, Vancouver, Canada

covered-metal-bridge-made-form-a-sewer-p

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Congratulations Bryan,

I don't have many bridges in my folio, I might give them more attention in the future.

Here come my three:

Bridge Bonaparte, over the Saone river in Lyon France, with the basilica of Notre dame of Fourviere in the background.

bridge-bonaparte-over-the-saone-river-in

Passerelle du Palais de Justice, Gateway Courthouse, Over the Saone River in Lyon France

passerelle-du-palais-de-justice-gateway-

The Kintai Bridge built in 1673 over the Nishiki River, in the city of Iwakuni, in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan.

the-kintai-bridge-built-in-1673-over-the

• Like 1

We were given a planning condition to build a footbridge to improve access when we gained permission to build our house. It took 4 years to establish a design for a 16m clear span that wasn't an eyesore. 

The main structural arch was made on its side in the adjacent field and lifted onto the prepared foundations. The arch is composed of around 200 pieces of timber just under 2m in length in offset rows, fixed with glue and screws.

MA7WHX.jpg

The underside of the finished bridge shows the screw and glue laminate

MDW04A.jpg

The bridge mellows into its surroundings

MDW099.jpg

Any bridge nerds out there can have a look at the whole set I submitted of the construction process here:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/Screw-and-glue-laminated-bridge.html?sortBy=relevant

• Love 1
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

We were given a planning condition to build a footbridge to improve access when we gained permission to build our house. It took 4 years to establish a design for a 16m clear span that wasn't an eyesore. 

The main structural arch was made on its side in the adjacent field and lifted onto the prepared foundations. The arch is composed of around 200 pieces of timber just under 2m in length in offset rows, fixed with glue and screws.

MA7WHX.jpg

The underside of the finished bridge shows the screw and glue laminate

MDW04A.jpg

The bridge mellows into its surroundings

MDW099.jpg

Any bridge nerds out there can have a look at the whole set I submitted of the construction process here:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/Screw-and-glue-laminated-bridge.html?sortBy=relevant

Nice bridge and good images.

Parts of the construction remind me of Mathematical Bridge.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Nice bridge and good images.

Parts of the construction remind me of Mathematical Bridge.

wim

Agree with you wim nice bridge.

If you are referring to the Mathematical Bridge at Queens in Cambridge no glues nails or bolts of any kind were used in its initial construction. Later however it was decided to take it apart to see how it was built.  Bloody fools could not put it back together again without some assistance from mechanical fastenings mentioned.

That is how I remember the story being told in an abbreviated version.

Allan

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Agree with you wim nice bridge.

If you are referring to the Mathematical Bridge at Queens in Cambridge no glues nails or bolts of any kind were used in its initial construction. Later however it was decided to take it apart to see how it was built.  Bloody fools could not put it back together again without some assistance from mechanical fastenings mentioned.

That is how I remember the story being told in an abbreviated version.

Allan

Yep that's the one. The part it reminds me of is that it looks round, but it is constructed from straight beams. Keith's bridge has the same underneath.

wim

The usual collection of great shots for this month's competition, judging will be difficult !

This is the final day for entries, the cut off is midnight GMT tonight.

Here's my 3 :)

blurred double decker bus on bridge at night in Newcastle on Tyne, UK

2hgkmyt.jpg

blue and white ceramic columns of bridge balustrade at the historic landmark of the Plaza de Espana in Seville Sevilla Spain

2j5heyh.jpg

abstract view of footbridge to MUCEM Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseilles, South of France, France by Rudy Ricciotti

MUCEM Museum of European and Mediterranean CivilisationsMarseilles, South of France, France Rudy Ricciotti Stock Photo

• Love 1

My set:

Modes of transport on and over the Thames:

people-walking-across-the-millennium-bridge-in-london-uk-over-southwark-bridge-cannon-street-railway-station-bridge-train-and-tower-bridge-2J7WXE1.jpg

Tower Bridge reflected in the polished helmet of Marcel Hug during the London Marathon:

marcel-hug-with-reflective-polished-helmet-at-2015-london-marathon-EN2AJN.jpg

The bridge in the Shire at the Hobbiton film set:

hobbiton-movie-set-location-for-the-lord-of-the-rings-and-the-hobbit-films-bag-end-lake-mill-visitor-attraction-in-waikato-region-new-zealand-T08F40.jpg

• Like 1

Oops I've a problem setting the poll for the challenge.   I'm seeing "Something went wrong. Check the values provided on the marked tabs and try again."

There are no obvious "marked tabs"

I've tried on both my desktop and tablet with the same result. Anyone able to help ?

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Oops I've a problem setting the poll for the challenge.   I'm seeing "Something went wrong. Check the values provided on the marked tabs and try again."

There are no obvious "marked tabs"

I've tried on both my desktop and tablet with the same result. Anyone able to help ?

Sorry Bryan, I haven't encountered this error. Perhaps Wim will know ?

17 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Sorry Bryan, I haven't encountered this error. Perhaps Wim will know ?

Thanks, hopefully Wim will appear on the scene !

I've now tried both Chrome (desktop and tablet) and Microsoft Edge and I get the same result when I try to save the poll.  Might be my adblocker, but who knows ?

Edit - tried switching off adblocker to no avail.

Edited by Bryan