Oldest Camera Used for Stock

But the Xt20 is only 5 years old! Last year's, or the year-before-the-year-before-that's, is my usual model, but my first DSLR had only been released a year!

Now 9 years. I use them till they break.

But then my A1 was made in the 80s and my Hasselblad the year Apollo 8 went round the Moon. I used a 1960 Mamiya Press before the Hasselblad, but it was only in its early 20s then. The Rolleicord Va, about 1960 as well, used as a spare in the 90s.

I have archive images from the A1 and Hasselblad on here, which have licensed, but  I daresay that's not what you mean as I don't "use" them now.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Although I no longer have them, I have been uploading images from re-working shots taken with a Pentax *ist D and *ist DS. The D was purchased in 2005 new, shortly added to by the second-hand DS as a back-up.

My first-choice camera is still my 13-year-old Canon 5D2 and I have no plans to change it (or more accurately no money to change it). I have uploaded archive pics from a Canon FTBn of 1974 vintage, and if I ever get round to it, will probably find a few from my Pentax SP500 of 1972.

Alan

I have Alamy stock images (archive) taken with my Nikkormat vintage 1971 and plenty of Alamy stock taken with Hasselblads 503cw (1980s camera) and 555eld (1990s camera), on film and on a phase one digital back. The Nikkormat now acts as a bookend and the Hasselblad gear was sold en-mass a year ago.

27 minutes ago, Malcolm Park said:

The Nikkormat now acts as a bookend and the Hasselblad gear was sold en-mass a year ago.

Same here, still have my 1970s Nikkormat, now on a bookshelf, and sold off all my medium format cameras...Hasselblads and Mamiyas.

I'm a real cheapskate when it comes to equipment. These are my two current cameras:

Sony NEX-6 (16 MP) introduced in 2012

Sony a6000 (24 MP) introduced in 2014 (love this camera)

I'm also still occasionally uploading images taken with my Sony NEX-3 and Sony a100 (bought in 2006 and sold a few years ago).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

My 16mp Fuji's get a trip out every week.  (Now I've inserted the wrong emoji and can't delete it...) 🤔

Done

Allan

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

But the Xt20 is only 5 years old! Last year's, or the year-before-the-year-before-that's, is my usual model, but my first DSLR had only been released a year!

Now 9 years. I use them till they break.

But then my A1 was made in the 80s and my Hasselblad the year Apollo 8 went round the Moon. I used a 1960 Mamiya Press before the Hasselblad, but it was only in its early 20s then. The Rolleicord Va, about 1960 as well, used as a spare in the 90s.

I have archive images from the A1 and Hasselblad on here, which have licensed, but  I daresay that's not what you mean as I don't "use" them now.

I have the Rolleicord Va type 2 in my collection. Ilford FP4 Plus B&W film waiting to load and try it out.

Bought the camera at an antique flea market 6 weeks ago for £75 in full working order. Unfortunately the front hinge of the carry case was adrift and wondering how to repair it.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
added sentence.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Unfortunately the front hinge of the carry case was adrift and wondering how to repair it.

I see it's leather or leathercloth. Definitely in the scope of DIY if that is on your radar.

We keep a stock of old wallets and so on to use for leather repairs. Maybe you have something like that around. You can get wax thread and a (very) stout needle, or chicken out and glue on a strip with Evo-stik or similar.

Or if you wanted it done nicely, your friendly shoe repairer if you have one.

• Thanks 1

A Sony a6500 is my main camera for stock, but I still have, and use occasionally a Canon 5DII, with a brace of lenses, it's just too heavy to carry around. 

The a6500 just crept into the last standalone version of Lightroom, a new replacement camera would bring a software headache, while I'm not generating enough photo revenue to justify a new camera. I'll use it until it snaps.

In my collection here I have photos going back to the 1960/70s taken with a collection of old film cameras, including an EXA500, Pentax ME Super, and Rolleicord. They occasionally sell.  Following those I have sold plenty of shots taken with a Canon 20D and then a Canon 5D mark 1.

Bear in mind that people make money selling photos on Stokimo using a mobile phone. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple phone, so can't indulge.

Edited by Bryan

My scanned collection were shot on a Canon F1 (the older version with breech-lock lenses) and the much hated Pentax 67. The only DSLR I've ever had is a Pentax K5 which has been lurking in my bag for a good number of years now. Still a great little camera and I don't feel much need to move on. The latest K3 is a little tempting but certainly not given the current Alamy fees.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Bear in mind that people make money selling photos on Stokimo using a mobile phone. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple phone, so can't indulge.

I suppose I've had one for over a year but it hasn't occurred to me. Literally not my style. I don't fancy the content editing either.

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest camera with a scanned photo on Alamy was a screw mount Leica IIIf two years younger than I am that I no longer own.  The Summitar lens was a year older than me.   One tagged today was a scan of one taken with a Hassleblad and a wide angle lens that I sent to a recoating and repair place in Colorado when I lived in Pennsylvania.  

My first stock camera was a Canon 650D (t4i) that my son gave me just before I went to East Africa in 2013. He had purchased it for college in 2012.  Not having the slightest idea on how to use it (he didn't give me the manual) I used Auto most of the time and the images were kinda awful.  Didn't have a zoom lens either.  Just the kit lens. Some of the pics from Kenya and Tanzania are the first I uploaded to Alamy.

I then bought a Sony RX100 M2 used in 2015.  The two cameras were a nice combo.

I currently added a Canon 90D with the Canon 100-400 f4/5.6 USM Lens.  That lens lives on the 90D, I rarely take it off as it is my go to for the bird photography.  I still use all 3 cameras.

Jill

I used my Nikon D700 from 2009 to 2018 when I went entirely mirrorless but it always gave me great pix. My first "stock" camera was the D70 and the upgrade to the D700 was a huge jump. Really loved that camera. I have a few scanned shots taken in the early 2000s with my Olympus OM-1, a birthday/Christmas gift from my parents in 1978, when I was a junior in college. I used it in my first full time job as a reporter/photojournalist in 1980-81 for a small local newspaper before I went to law school and again in 2000-2006 as a freelance photographer before I went digital with the old starter D70.

I bought a shiny new Sony a7rIV on sale when a newer model came out in 2021 (and an a7rII in 2018) and I don't expect to update them any time soon. I was having some buyer's remorse thinking that I should have looked into a medium format camera for my fine art work, but I'm still less comfortable with the fiddly Sony menus after being a Nikon user for over a decade, so perhaps it's best I didn't. I was fortunate to get a grant that I could use for new equipment, and had six months to spend it, so that was incentive to go for it as well as filling out my lens setup. If not for that grant I'd be using the A7rII exclusively with my Olympus OMD-1 (which is great for slipping in a purse it's so small) as a backup. The Sonys are dust magnets, so carrying two with different lenses means less changing lenses and less dust, so that's a plus.  

I purchased some old Nikon primes from the 1970s-80s on ebay when I started. I still have a 50mm f/1.2 in its pristine leather case which I use on my Sonys and Olympus with adapters. You can't beat the bokeh on that lens. I also have 3 Zuiko lenses from the old OM-1, a 50mm from 1978 and a 28mm and 200mm that were college graduation gifts in 1980. The 200mm acts a lightweight 400mm on my mirrorless Olympus and the wide angle and 50mm both have lovely bokeh. Some subjects just work better with a slight low tech look. I've also got some old Nikon +2 and +4 lenses that are great as lightweight macros when I am not lugging my wonderful but heavy 90mm Sony macro around, and give me a different look when popped on the end of a 20, 28, 35 or 50mm lens.  

On 27/10/2022 at 07:06, sooth said:

On a related note... the old digital point and shoots of the early 2000 are apparently coming back, more as a Generation Z "aesthetic". https://petapixel.com/2022/10/26/gen-z-is-bringing-back-digital-cameras-of-the-early-2000s/

When my daughter used my 1970s Olympus OM-1 film camera for a photo class in high school she tried very hard to convince me to give it to her. Four years later I bought her a Nikon D3000 for a photo class at NYU but these days she uses her iPhone - it's easier to catch a 4-year-old with an iPhone. 

I got my grandson a tiny inexpensive point and shoot ($20 on Amazon) when he was three and he loves it. It keeps him from wanting to use our phones and his toys often taken on the run make great subjects. Some very avante garde work LOL. Will he be Gen A? 

Edited by Marianne

Long ago when still current products I used an Olympus OM1, OM1n and OM2, never really gelled with the OM2, the OM1's were always in my bag. When I passed them on the leather 'cloth' was starting to peel off. I remember how light my shoulder bag was in those days. Only failure then was the light meter on one when still under warranty. They were a great system. I have negs from them ready to digitise for archival uploads, when I get time. Later 2 Canon T90's using FD and FDn lenses, still have most of the lenses and 1 body, the other died. As with the OM1's, negs separated for eventual digitising. Then used 2 Nikon D70's, still have them. Then a Sony DSC-R1 for many years. Used for stock but not with Alamy as it wasn't an approved camera. Then more modern, Nikon D7100. Just have to clean its sensor before passing on to my sister. Currently using 2 Nikon D750's and a D7200. The D7200 will be going next year to be replaced by a used D500, though might keep the D7200 for conversion for IR photography and one DX lens that doesn't suffer from an IR hot spot.

On 27/10/2022 at 10:19, Allan Bell said:

I have the Rolleicord Va type 2 in my collection. Ilford FP4 Plus B&W film waiting to load and try it out.

If I ever find the time to finish making the slide holder for my Illumitran, my dream is to make a sale on Alamy from the pics I took in the 80s with my 1937 Rolleiflex. J Allan Cash sold quite a few of them years ago.

Alan

• Love 1