Oldest Camera Used for Stock

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I noticed for the first time the brochure that they also offered a special column for copying medium format uncut film. It had splayed legs and a special film carrier so that the film went from front to back instead of left to right. This really only makes sense for uncut 645 really. Never seen one.

Aah lightbulb moment- that explains the slot in the back of the standard column- so you can get portrait format for filmstrips. I think they were getting long in the tooth even when I was at grammar school (muffled) years ago. I recall a Rank Aldis on the 1963 "Ipcress File" set last year but even that was a magazine model- no posts for the filmstrip spool.

Edited by spacecadet

12 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The 'Tran is just mild steel AFAICS. 

Yes you're absolutely right. The drill went through like a knife through butter. Now up and running though I may adopt one of the other ideas suggested here in the future. The scan appears to be the first frame I ever shot on the camera. The quality is astounding - it would easily pass QC for sharpness in its own right, no need for the archival route. I find this amazing for a camera that's 85 years old.

http://www.alanwrigley.com/personal/illumitran.jpg

http://www.alanwrigley.com/personal/gestetner.jpg

(for some reason inserting an image from a URL doesn't seem to work).

Alan

On 26/10/2022 at 05:08, Celluloid Hero said:

I'm always lusting after the latest shiny new camera, but commonsense and lack of funds prevail and I go back to my little Fuji X-t20.

Anybody still use what is considered a "vintage" camera for stock?

Not sure this counts by your OP; Image: CX0RK was shot during a magazine assignment in 1982 with a really cool black NIKON SP (rangefinder) on Ektachrome 200 slide film pushed a stop to 400 ASA.  I do wish I still had that camera.  Over the decades shooting 35mm film, the cameras and lenses that, In my opinion, produced the sharpest chromes were the old CANON bodies with the high-end FD fixed focal length lenses.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes you're absolutely right. The drill went through like a knife through butter. Now up and running though I may adopt one of the other ideas suggested here in the future. The scan appears to be the first frame I ever shot on the camera. The quality is astounding - it would easily pass QC for sharpness in its own right, no need for the archival route. I find this amazing for a camera that's 85 years old.

http://www.alanwrigley.com/personal/illumitran.jpg

http://www.alanwrigley.com/personal/gestetner.jpg

(for some reason inserting an image from a URL doesn't seem to work).

Alan

Nice and simple. I'm thinking of retrofitting the strip of wood myself.

You might have run a duster over the poor thing first though!🪶

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

You might have run a duster over the poor thing first though!

I'm renovating and the house is full of dust. I just can't be bothered to clean every day when I know it will be dirty the next :)

Obviously I'll create a clean environment somewhere when I do the scanning.

Alan

51 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I'm renovating and the house is full of dust. I just can't be bothered to clean every day when I know it will be dirty the next :)

Obviously I'll create a clean environment somewhere when I do the scanning.

Alan

I just meant the dust that was on the 'Tran when you got it😀

I found a rocket blow and a wipe each side with an anti-static brush quite sufficient, but I was ploughing through 6000 so I needed a production-line setup. We're not the world's greatest housekeepers but I didn't find dust (well, new dust at least) much of a problem. However my originals had been fairly well stored in sleeves.

OH's boxed ones were not quite so good- it's partly a function of age I think.

I don't know how much spotting you did, but your posted image looks pretty clean.

Edited by spacecadet