Micro sales

I had a few 1¢ sales so asked Alamy and I got the reply: 

We’ve checked and this customer has a faculty image pack with us. This is where a set number of US/UK universities can licence images at a discounted rate.

These are universities whose lecturers' lunch money could feed a starving population! The discounts should apply to my images, and mine alone. That's how discounts work in the real world in which a seller needs to make a living, and earn a profit. 

This agreement Alamy has negotiated on my, sorry, their behalf makes absolute nonsense of Alamy's claim to be on the side of photographers. Playing the numbers game helps only Alamy, and their clients, not the photographer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

There should be a box to tick in the AIM options section saying something like "minimum advertised price only" ie the price Alamy puts in the list next to your image in the port.

I've very, very seldom had anything like that price.

Alamy would just lower their rack rates, because clearly that's the path they've chosen, though that would make their discounts seem less attractive.

• Like 2

When pressed, I had this reply:

You can’t restrict images on our site to a certain value as we need all images available for all markets and all possible license options (unless restricted for certain territories and/or usages).

While all of the stock houses can survive by selling at ridiculous prices because they play the numbers game (e.g. x1000 @ £1 each = £1000 for Alamy but for a photographer x1000 @ £1 each = £1), photographers cannot, or shooting stock just becomes a hobby.

4 minutes ago, Walrus said:

You can’t restrict images on our site to a certain value as we need all images available for all markets and all possible license options (unless restricted for certain territories and/or usages).

4 minutes ago, Walrus said:

While all of the stock houses can survive by selling at ridiculous prices because they play the numbers game (e.g. x1000 @ £1 each = £1000 for Alamy but for a photographer x1000 @ £1 each = £1), photographers cannot, or shooting stock just becomes a hobby.

The main issue is that Alamy has now Normalised, "Novel Usages".  These Novel deals could be excluded had they been classified properly in first place.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walrus said:

From what I read back when the latest contract was released, agencies could negotiate other terms, including minimums.  I've always been curious as to what percentage of Alamy's sales are of agency photos and how many are from individuals.

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Sadly I think you are right. Stock used to be an additional revenue stream to my commissioned work, now it doesn't seem to be viable anymore. This is not a dig at Alamy, it appears to be right across the sector. The time and effort in researching, shooting, producing and keywording images doesn't really stack up to be a viable business with the current fees and drop in commission.

I'll see how this month goes but I think I'd be better off concentrating on other areas of my business and building back up the commissioned work now that covid restrictions have been lifted. I might even try and get my head around NFT's and blockchain.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Reported overnight - sold 3 news images taken yesterday of the flooding in Sydney- $1.15 each gross

I got very wet to take those images - some reward!

shocking 

had same results last week for LN of a anti war rally.  not even worth rushing to upload anymore, using the full 24 hours window. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2022 at 04:44, meanderingemu said:

The main issue is that Alamy has now Normalised, "Novel Usages".  These Novel deals could be excluded had they been classified properly in first place.  

I believe that Alamy's Image Pack sales is the real gremlin with regards to penny stock sales.  Probably heaping additional discounts on top of the already discounted image packs.

"...this customer has a faculty image pack with us. This is where a set number of US/UK universities can licence images at a discounted rate."

https://www.alamy.com/image-packs.aspx

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well until today i've been lucky not selling for a few pence but it's finally happened

Usage: Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: Any size
Start: 17 March 2022
Duration: Unlimited

PRICE 0.26 usd BEFORE MY CUT!  

ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS 

Alamy you really need to get a grip of this sort of pricing 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I got a sale for a RF image of a peony for 12 cents - 3 cents to me.  But it's OK, license details shows: Additional Details: Downloaded 1 time.  So what?😒

I got one of those today, too 😭

42 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I got a sale for a RF image of a peony for 12 cents - 3 cents to me.  But it's OK, license details shows: Additional Details: Downloaded 1 time.  So what?😒

One for me as well. So I guess I am not that special. 😎

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

I’ve had 4 through today and 5 last week. 🙁😡 

No really Alamy, you are going to far! I made 7 sales today, for most of them I got 3c or 6c, one 23c. When Shutter.... started paying me 10c a photo I deleted my portfolio, will do the same now with Alamy.

Alamy, I was happy with you for a while, but now you suck....

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

We seem to be rapidly approaching the point where contributors will be requested to pay for images that are uploaded. There hasn't been any business sense in this for several years now and I fear this has gone well beyond the pits!!

Come on, come on........

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1