Micro sales

11 hours ago, Gervais Montacute said:

What are you going to do when the commission split goes down to 30/70? 

That's not even a hobby. That's charity. I lost interest when it went under 60%. Your views may vary. 

plenty of commercial businesses work successfully with even lower proportion compensation but that requires proper pricing model. Even at 60% compensation, if average licence is $1.50 (my average last fortnight),  this is not sustainable for anyone. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

plenty of commercial businesses work successfully with even lower proportion compensation but that requires proper pricing model. Even at 60% compensation, if average licence is $1.50 (my average last fortnight),  this is not sustainable for anyone. 

Including Alamy and they need to realise this...

Phil

• Like 5

8 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Are most of those recent low sales news-related images?

14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Are most of those recent low sales news-related images?

this month it's a mix, a couple protest signs, some day to day used in news i assume,  but also two clear travel in Mexico at $0.25 

the only decent price were for statues and the totally random empty bird nest. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

this month it's a mix, a couple protest signs, some day to day used in news i assume,  but also two clear travel in Mexico at $0.25 

the only decent price were for statues and the totally random empty bird nest. 

I guess it's the luck of the draw. Just checked and my average price per image so far this year is $37, despite the occasional tiddlers (usually editorial websites). This isn't bad all things considered. Of course the commission changes are making a big dent in net income.

• Love 2

15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I guess it's the luck of the draw. Just checked and my average price per image so far this year is $37, despite the occasional tiddlers (usually editorial websites). This isn't bad all things considered. Of course the commission changes are making a big dent in net income.

the issue with using average is that it is skewed by some large sales, which obviously are not distributed evenly, which is one of the reason i keep asking Alamy to quote median which i more likely for average contributor.  

I was lucky to have one  of these large sale, so my average for the year is actually $31, but my median is $11, so this is more in line with expectations looking forward. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the issue with using average is that it is skewed by some large sales, which obviously are not distributed evenly, which is one of the reason i keep asking Alamy to quote median which i more likely for average contributor.  

I was lucky to have one  of these large sale, so my average for the year is actually $31, but my median is $11, so this is more in line with expectations looking forward. 

Looks like my median for sales this year is $15.50, which isn't quite as uplifting. 😐

• Thanks 2

Another live news picture lifted inside 24 hrs of upload - 80 miles + x hrs for 0.XX net (in perp).

Good to see Ms Shelley being appointed a director of Alamy in March - clearly her strategy is working to the benefit of all. 😨    

On 28/05/2022 at 09:37, nobeastsofierce said:

I opted out from distribution in april but still getting those cheap 1$ or 2$ sales, 4 of them so far this month. How is this possible? I mean the cheapest licence that I see is 19,99$

Bulk discounts to buyers.  https://www.alamy.com/licenses-and-pricing

Also lots of 'discount vouchers' seem to be available online, but I don't know for a fact that they're valid.

• 3 months later...

Just had 21 sales on the same day, Sept 7, $0.18 by sale… All plants close ups. All say : Country: Germany
Usage: Editorial, Alamy Access 750 Bilder pro Monat
Media: Editorial website

It's not that I thought Alamy will make me rich but at this pace, I need to live longer than Methuselah :)

On 11/09/2022 at 18:27, Isabel said:

Just had 21 sales on the same day, Sept 7, $0.18 by sale… All plants close ups. All say : Country: Germany
Usage: Editorial, Alamy Access 750 Bilder pro Monat
Media: Editorial website

It's not that I thought Alamy will make me rich but at this pace, I need to live longer than Methuselah :)

That's just appalling. 😡

• Like 1

How is it acceptable that an image for use:-

(worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: Any size
Duration: Unlimited)

or any use, for that matter can be sold for as little as 25 cents?

Can someone enlighten me?

My latest sale:  

Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media -- SOLD FOR $.25. 

I don't mind the price, but the rights?  Worldwide, in perpetuity?  This is ONE-TIME ONLY RIGHTS, CORRECT?

Am I not free to use/sell this image again?

8 hours ago, NancyT said:

My latest sale:  

Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media -- SOLD FOR $.25. 

I don't mind the price, but the rights?  Worldwide, in perpetuity?  This is ONE-TIME ONLY RIGHTS, CORRECT?

Am I not free to use/sell this image again?

Hi Nancy,

They have not bought exclusive use so you can sell this image over and over again without any limit.

Maybe next time it will sell for $$$$ - who knows?

Best of luck

Ian

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

I've just had 2 "sales" to China for editorial website, in perpetuity, and they were for 2 cents gross, zero cents net. I'm not in novel use, and I am opted out of distribution in China. They were both RM wildlife images. I'm in complete disbelief. Why do Alamy do this?

Edited by VbFolly
added info
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I've just had 2 "sales" to China for editorial website, in perpetuity, and they were for 2 cents gross, zero cents net. I'm not in novel use, and I am opted out of distribution in China. They were both RM wildlife images. I'm in complete disbelief. Why do Alamy do this?

this is the part that baffles me.  I could understand some of the editorial deals based on Volume, if Alamy gets a minimum guaranteed purchase per day. But how do these penny help the bottom line, vs the cost of administering, billing, maintaining the distro agreement.

2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

this is the part that baffles me.  I could understand some of the editorial deals based on Volume, if Alamy gets a minimum guaranteed purchase per day. But how do these penny help the bottom line, vs the cost of administering, billing, maintaining the distro agreement.

I agree. These tiny sales cause so much anger among contributors, I can't imagine Alamy really gain anything by allowing these prices.

On 15/09/2022 at 06:44, geogphotos said:

Hi Nancy,

They have not bought exclusive use so you can sell this image over and over again without any limit.

Maybe next time it will sell for $$$$ - who knows?

Best of luck

Ian

I just licensed an image for $194 today which has sold many times before but always for very low prices. These things can happen.

Kumar

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ROC said:

I’ve just had 10 of those $0.02 sales in. I started this thread in February. Now Alamy has gone from selling for pence to giving our images away. (Not sure why this didn’t appear as a reply to Thomas’s comment!). 

Edited by ROC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

100% deduction here as well. Not that it makes much of a difference.

VQ20fNk.png

it makes a difference is sense that Alamy is breaking their own agreement which they wrote themselves yet again.  Though they have the right to round, the contract does not give them the right to exceed 40% commission to distributor, nor 60% (80% silver) of the Net for them.