Micro sales

8 hours ago, Graham said:

Some distribution licences can be at reasonable fees.  I am assuming that the main culprit as regards low fees is Novel Use.  I have recently opted out, and will be interested to see what difference that makes.

Graham

the issue is for distributors there is no distinction between novel/non-novel so being opted-out of Novel would not protect you there. In addition Alamy themselves seem to have normalise some stuff that should be considered Novel, like the 750 image packs. 

PA only serves its shareholders, the British press.   There's no conflict of interest because they're not serving their small contributors, just exploiting them.   Even the 'Platinum Level' is pitched at such a high threshold that is really only intended to allow Alamy to continue offering 50% commission to these corporate shareholders on the portfolios of old and unused press photographs that they deposit with Alamy.

I haven't submitted any new photos to Alamy since last April.   I obviously haven't left Alamy yet but when they start helping themselves to 80% commission, I will.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting worse than micro stock.

$0.26

Usage: Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity
Media: Website, app and social media
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: Any size
Start: 16 April 2022
Duration: Unlimited

That's a lot of use for 26¢.

Edited by Rick Lewis

6 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

$0.26

Usage: Editorial, E-learning, website and social media and app, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity

Judging by how quiet the forum has become maybe a lot of contributors have given up.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Judging by how quiet the forum has become maybe a lot of contributors have given up.

Not quite given up, but I haven't taken a candidate image since February, or uploaded any since December, and those were taken in July.

I uploaded 53 images in 2021:(

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not quite given up, but I haven't taken a candidate image since February, or uploaded any since December, and those were taken in July.

I uploaded 53 images in 2021:(

I had a break of about 6 months in 2021 but have back uploading since autumn last year. For me it's more about obsessive behaviour than much else I think.

I'm doing more of the Archive stuff these days because I just feel that this old images need to live!

Therte just seems to be less and less activity on the forum, and what there is either moaning about low sales, or discussion of non-photography topics. 

Maybe stock has gone past its peak attraction point - not just Alamy but across the board. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, I'm not so sure about stock peaking, but I do suspect that you're not the only one taking a break.

What I'm doing, and I suspect that you are doing the same, is just what interests me and what I enjoy.  I suppose I've always more or less done that but I used to do more trips and push myself into early morning starts, rushing on into late evening light etc

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

Just now, geogphotos said:

What I'm doing and, I suspect that you are doing the same, is just what interests me and what I enjoy.  I suppose I've always more or less done that but I used to do more trips and push myself into early morning starts, rushing on into late evening light etc

Yep, pretty much the same for me.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

What I'm doing and, I suspect that you are doing the same, is just what interests me and what I enjoy.  I suppose I've always more or less done that but I used to do more trips and push myself into early morning starts, rushing on into late evening light etc

This is also where I am at the moment. I really enjoy my photography and I'm working on more input to National and International Salons which give me a buzz and, in a way, tests my work against others of a similar mind. There is no payment in this but it is enjoyment.

From the business angle of Stock the majority of Contributors I assume have long realised that this is not nowadays a money making part of business. My biggest 'winge' in this area is that every so often Alamy/PA will send out a detailed email requesting image requirements in specific areas. I believe the last one related to Medical Conditions. Lets say that a decade ago I would happily contribute to these requests but with current outgoings including such things as travel, maintenance, captioning, tagging, among other things, and then getting hit with 'penny sales' it is already the case that the contributor is 'paying' to submit images to Stock.

If I am out doing Exhibition work and I spot a subject suitable for Stock then I will take the image. This is where low prices have got me.

Sorry folks - got it off my chest!

Jim.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Therte just seems to be less and less activity on the forum, and what there is either moaning about low sales, or discussion of non-photography topics. 

Ian, at these prices, most of us aren’t upgrading gear unless something breaks. As a result, we don’t hear questions about people considering “this camera” or “this lens” or “did you here xxx is coming out? (New gear). Or asking for input.

We’re just hunkering down, using what we have, and if something easy to photograph presents itself we grab the shot and don’t talk about gear we’re not going to buy. The excitement is gone for those of us who have been doing this for awhile, because we remember what was.

It’s a shame, because those posts were what made the forum interesting.
Kudos to those who make a decent sale here and there, but I’m here to tell you, for me, there’s not enough of them. My earnings just keep going down..down..down even when the number of sales go up.

More isn’t necessarily better.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

My sales numbers and average price per image ($33 so far this month) are actually holding up well, but I'm not uploading much . I have about a dozen new images ready to go, which I'll probably submit tonight. That will constitute a major achievement for me these days. 😴

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

By the way, as far as the non-photography posts go, guilty as charged. I created my thread during a dark time so people could post things to lift their own and other’s spirits.

Ed created the yin to my yang (whatever that means! 😁)

The wonderful thing about those two threads is nobody is being forced to read them. That said, I’ve learned so much more about my fellow photographers, their hopes, desires and pursuits besides photography, and feel enriched by the knowledge by knowing more about who they are.  
That’s worth something, in my book.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

By the way, as far as the non-photography posts go, guilty as charged. I created my thread during a dark time so people could post things to lift their own and other’s spirits.

Ed created the yin to my yang (whatever that means! 😁)

The wonderful thing about those two threads is nobody is being forced to read them. That said, I’ve learned so much more about my fellow photographers, their hopes, desires and pursuits besides photography, and feel enriched by the knowledge by knowing more about who they are.  
That’s worth something, in my book.

Could not agree more. Love those two threads.

• Love 1

I just had a quick add up of the total number of pics I uploaded in 2021 - came to the grand total of 76 plus zero images uploaded in 2022 so far. Actually I can't see me uploading any more images at all to Alamy. What would be the point when they are constantly redefining the meaning of "rights managed" and moving the goal posts so far apart you could park the "Ever Given" between them.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My sales numbers and average price per image ($33 so far this month) are actually holding up well, but I'm not uploading much . I have about a dozen new images ready to go, which I'll probably submit tonight. That will constitute a major achievement for me these days. 😴

Ahh, yes. My first 10 images licensed was for $1136. Average of $113.60 and I got 60%. Among those were several $200+ sales. I think the lowest was $47 something, a price we’d feel fortunate to get these days at 40%.

But that was then, and that’s why stock is dying for those who went out of their way to produce the best they could. Although there was a lot of trash even then!:D

• Love 3

• 3 weeks later...

after being able to avoid it and stay safe throughout the last couple of years I finally got hit by the DPD (direct penny disease)   

$0.25

Usage: Editorial, Single use across website and/or digital publication such as E-book or PDF, any size, any placement, in perpetuity.
Start: 04 May 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

that's going to hit the average

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

after being able to avoid it and stay safe throughout the last couple of years I finally got hit by the DPD (direct penny disease)   

$0.25

Usage: Editorial, Single use across website and/or digital publication such as E-book or PDF, any size, any placement, in perpetuity.
Start: 04 May 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

that's going to hit the average

and a second one.  

weird coincidence that the reporting would happen within a few days of the closing of Opt-out on NU, wouldn't have affected my decision- for me it's an image ranking feature, but still feels odd after all the other "timing" of reporting over last year.  

On 19/04/2022 at 21:51, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, yes. My first 10 images licensed was for $1136. Average of $113.60 and I got 60%. Among those were several $200+ sales. I think the lowest was $47 something, a price we’d feel fortunate to get these days at 40%.

But that was then, and that’s why stock is dying for those who went out of their way to produce the best they could. Although there was a lot of trash even then!:D

For curiosity's sake I decided to add up my first 10 sales with Alamy - gross $1,885.24 with 60% to me as well. Probably best not to look back, very depressing.

1 hour ago, Celluloid Hero said:

For curiosity's sake I decided to add up my first 10 sales with Alamy - gross $1,885.24 with 60% to me as well. Probably best not to look back, very depressing.

Yes, you joined back in the day when great sales happened. That said, I’ve had several $$$ sales lately which is nice, but at 40% it isn’t so nice. 

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, you joined back in the day when great sales happened. That said, I’ve had several $$$ sales lately which is nice, but at 40% it isn’t so nice. 

I had one yesterday for $$$ but it was an affiliate sale so 34% to me 😠

On 18/04/2022 at 01:00, Rick Lewis said:

$0.26

It's micro prices! If Alamy sells 10,000 images at $1, that's approx $6000 it "earns" from the sales. OTOH, if 5000 photographers sell x2 images each at $2 an image, they earn approx $2 each! This is not just obscene pricing, it's downright criminal, IMV. Photographers should be given option to set *minimum* price (Alamy can offer advice based on the image type) or these deals should be stopped, forthwith!

Buyers have money. They've always had money. They just don't want YOU to have it! If you have an image they want, do you think they will hire a photographer to shoot it for £850--1200 when they can get it for £250? They will opt for £250 every time. If you give them option to buy for £2 or £250, which one does Alamy thinks buyer will opt for? Erm...Toughie...not!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4