Micro sales

Yup, I got me one of those bargain basement sales yesterday, not to China though.

Usage: Editorial, Use in syndicated editorial news features, single context only. Includes archive rights in-perpetuity.
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: Unlimited
Insert: more than 25
Placement: National
Image Size: up to full area
Start: 09 February 2022
Duration: In perpetuity
$ 0.17

2 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Yup, I got me one of those bargain basement sales yesterday, not to China though.

Usage: Editorial, Use in syndicated editorial news features, single context only. Includes archive rights in-perpetuity.
Insert: more than 25
Start: 09 February 2022
$ 0.17

I have seen this licence reported by other users before.

What worries me about these, is that PA is owned by newspapers. Is Alamy giving these rates to what is in effect shareholders of PA. IF that is the case there could be some conflict of interest here.

• Like 7

10 February 2022 Royalty-free Country: United Kingdom
50 MB
5068 x 3453 pixels
877KB compressed
Start: 10 February 2022
$ 0.17

5 sales in February for 0,20$ 

Usage: Editorial, Alamy Access 750 Bilder pro Monat
Media: Editorial website
43 MB
4749 x 3176 pixels
2 MB compressed
Start: 06 February 2022

What means 750 pictures  in perpetuity   for  0,20$

How can Alamy sell an image I have classified as Rights Managed as Royalty Free? This "sale" has just come through. Also I thought images sold for advertising purposes would command more revenue than the dizzying heights of $0.53

Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Advertising and promotion, Royalty Free, all media, in perpetuity
Media: Promotional brochures/ leaflets/inserts
Image Size: Any size
Start: 12 February 2022
Duration: Unlimited
$ 0.53

Since I started this thread I’ve had 3 more sales to Germany at $0.20. I’ve had 11 sales in the last week, the total gross for all 11 is $3.60.   I wish we could all do something about this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, I really don't think there is anything contributors can do, especially where the Daily Mail, News UK, Guardian Media Group etc are the biggest shareholders of PA Media who own Alamy.

PA Media in their year end 2020 accounts cite the acquisition of Alamy as material to the Group and state the carrying value of Alamy as £24.6m as at 31 December 2020. PA Media further state in the notes to the accounts that the Alamy brand name has an estimated remaining useful life of 19 years.

Companies House allow you to download Company accounts for free and to "follow" certain companies.

The acquisition of Alamy by PA Media was good for the companies/shareholders concerned but not so good for contributors.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

Looks like Alamy have done a deal with someone Germany to allow them to hoover up images at 20 cents.  

My utter contempt for this shower goes deeper and deeper.

I wonder if these low price sales will eventually become the norm.

• Like 1

It's no longer sustainable for contributors. The cost of doing shoots is increasing while the returns have decreased dramatically, plus the cut in commission doesn't help.

If Alamy are wanting unique, cutting edge material then very low image returns are not the way forward. I'm still waiting for this great news we were promised ..

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

Looks like Alamy have done a deal with someone Germany to allow them to hoover up images at 20 cents.  

My utter contempt for this shower goes deeper and deeper.

First China, then Germany....

Next should be Ireland with the millions of expats all over the world throughout the centuries ...

🤨😕🙄

9 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I wonder if these low price sales will eventually become the norm.

I think they will. Where the buyers are also the shareholders and therefore effectively own the image assets a peppercorn fee is all the contributors can expect from now on. As Wilkopix has rightly stated above Alamy will no longer be the place to sell cutting edge original material and will sadly descend into the "Pile 'em high, Sell 'em low" stock imagery category. So very sad that a company that once held such enormous respect for its contributors should end up this way.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I think they will. Where the buyers are also the shareholders and therefore effectively own the image assets a peppercorn fee is all the contributors can expect from now on. As Wilkopix has rightly stated above Alamy will no longer be the place to sell cutting edge original material and will sadly descend into the "Pile 'em high, Sell 'em low" stock imagery category. So very sad that a company that once held such enormous respect for its contributors should end up this way.

I think that, to a avoid a confict of interest and protect contributors, a publisher should not be allowed to buy a stock photography agency unless it commits itself to do not use the images managed by that agency for its own publications at discounted fees. 

• Love 1

\

11 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Unfortunately, I really don't think there is anything contributors can do, especially where the Daily Mail, News UK, Guardian Media Group etc are the biggest shareholders of PA Media who own Alamy.

PA Media in their year end 2020 accounts cite the acquisition of Alamy as material to the Group and state the carrying value of Alamy as £24.6m as at 31 December 2020. PA Media further state in the notes to the accounts that the Alamy brand name has an estimated remaining useful life of 19 years.

Companies House allow you to download Company accounts for free and to "follow" certain companies.

The acquisition of Alamy by PA Media was good for the companies/shareholders concerned but not so good for contributors.

With Alamy's purchase by PA Media and it's corporate newspaper shareholders is it any wonder that "penny stock" licensing fees by UK newspapers and their syndicates are becoming so noticeable?  

Royalty-free

I wonder if given the opportunity (which I highly doubt would ever happen) how many would opt out of newspaper sales given recent newspaper licensing fees?

• Love 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Phil said:

I wonder if given the opportunity (which I highly doubt would ever happen) how many would opt out of newspaper sales given recent newspaper licensing fees?

I certainly would opt out given the opportunity - Main Stream Media pays peanuts and the small presses can't afford large fees, so where is the financial advantage for contributors?

• Like 3

Unfortunately, the reality of the marketplace is that Alamy's competitors ( and I don't just mean the micros) are offering UK newspapers even lower prices. 

I am starting to notice one UK daily, the one with the highest circulation, that used to be almost exclusively Alamy is now using an alternative source at least for some of their images. Once shopping habits change it is very hard to reverse the process. 

On a more positive note Alamy still does have customers who pay decent fees - much more so that the other place I am thinking about where virtually everything is at ultra low level nowadays. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1