Are Alamy stock photographers all ages?

geogphotos

Question

I get the impression that our community here on the forum is a little long in the tooth.🙂

I have suggested doing stock to my children - all three are quite arty -  and they just laugh at the idea of all the hard work, the low fees, and the essential 'squareness' of it. They will happily share pics on social media and seem to spend half their time taking photos on their devices.

Are we an ageing bunch - are youngsters arriving on the scene or not bothering?

I'm 63

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

I may be totally wrong with this thought, but here goes. I think photographers, especially stock photographers, tend to be content with their own company. I don’t mean we’re not social, or need people,  it’s only that we contemplate our day of work and are happy to go about it without saying a word to anyone all day if that’s how the day goes.

We can spend hours squirreled away, concentrating on developing and tagging without feeling lonely. Before my husband passed, I would tell him I was getting ready to work and tended to bark at him if he interrupted me with inconsequential matters too many times. It caused me to lose my train of thought, especially if I were tagging.

It helps to be a bit of a loner, even with a family. I always craved my “alone time” and was unhappy if I didn’t get some, even while raising three children. 

So...my point being I think there’s a bit of a personality type required to maintain this business for years. I think that’s why people try it for a while, then drop out. They aren’t the “type.”

You?

Betty

• Love 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, John Morrison said:

My first camera was steam-driven...

You had real steam? Bleedin' luxury!

DD

Photography has always been a solitary pursuit for me. I see it as a form of contemplation. Even stock-shooting can have its Zen-like moments.

And, yes, I'm a bit of a loner too.

We could start a "loners club", but no one would probably show up to the meetings. 😐

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

I do think Alamy photographers are all ages, but if talking about regular contributors then I think Alamy has more of an older crowd.  The 'long in the tooth' would be the generation that has more patience, understands that one has to wait and things don't happen all at once, they can look further into the future and just patiently wait.  The younger crowd may have uploaded a few times and then gone off to micro sites for instant gratification, and I don't think that there aren't many of them on the forum because they are shy, possibly they just don't have all that many or regular sales, just what I am thinking.

I am a loner, I have never joined to go out shooting with a group, I think it is a very solo activity best done without distractions, it is a very personal thing for me.  I am obstinate and have lots of patience, a bit anti social (not a good thing) but I don't like people invading my space.  Post processing images is something I can spend loads of time on without feeling I am wasting my time or getting bored.  Why I mention all this, because I imagine the young to be exactly the opposite.  They are mostly social, I think; patience is not their strong point and as far as photography with the young crowd isn't it all about shooting with a mobile phone, quickly applying filters rather than spending hours in Lightroom or Photoshop.  I don't know I could be wrong and I certainly don't want to offed any serious young photographers with talent, there are always exceptions I know, but I am talking about a majority.  For these reasons I don't see the young taking stock photography seriously as a business.  Maybe I am completely out of touch, in my head I feel quite old, older than my real age, I am 53 closer to 54 now.  Alamy should value, listen and hang on to their 'long in the tooth' contributors they are the ones that 'make' Alamy, and keep it so successful as an agency.

Helen

Edited by hsessions
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

Started with stock at the age of 29, back in 2003 - blink and now I am 45! It has always been tumultuous, as well as imminent doom and gloom from the start! Oddly enough, this summer there wasn't the usual summer slow down, so actually my "indicators" are positive, been a while! Don't know what the future holds, take it year by year, trying to not stress hahah.

I suspect that Alamy's sister Iphone upload library might have a younger demographic. We're not allowed to discuss it here apparently but those that have mentioned it in passing seem to be doing well. New members to this forum often have technical questions about pixels, dpi, file sizes etc. - none of that matters over there, you just need an Iphone 4 or later.

Then there is also the 'Beautiful Free Images & Pictures" so-called community 'sharing' website and its ilk, I'm certainly not going to mention them by name but they may have more immediate appeal to those growing up in the social networking age.

Edited by Harry Harrison
typo

Been interested in photography since I was about 4 years old. Was taken into a darkroom to see the process and watched a black and white print develop in the tray. Magical.

Course in those days photography was an expensive pastime and at 4 years old I did not have the wherewithal to be able to carry on with the hobby but it must have always been in the back of my mind.

Photography was a part of my life from around 17 years old but with some very long breaks. I finally returned to it in the digital era when I joined Alamy back in November 2008 at the age of 63 years.

YUP! I am 74 and still learning.

Allan

• Love 1

I’m 53. I did O Level photography at school and have loved it ever since. My daughter is doing GCSE photography and has spent the afternoon preparing “contact sheets”. . She looked blank when I explained how negatives (wot?) used to come into CONTACT with the photographic paper. Her teacher might not even remember that.

Started on stock 6 years ago failed and gave up. Restarted when Alamy relaxed on which cameras were acceptable. I work full tine, this is just a hobby, and when I get a sale (1 or 2 a month) it feels like a small lottery win 😄.

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I suspect that Alamy's sister Iphone upload library might have a younger demographic. We're not allowed to discuss it here apparently but those that have mentioned it in passing seem to be doing well. New members to this forum often have technical questions about pixels, dpi, file sizes etc. - none of that matters over there, you just need an Iphone 4 or later.

Then there is also the 'Beautiful Free Images & Pictures" so-called community 'sharing' website and its ilk, I'm certainly not going to mention them by name but they may have more immediate appeal to those growing up in the social networking age.

Why should we not discuss Stockimo here? It’s another arm of Alamy isnt it?

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, ACC said:

Why should we not discuss Stockimo here?

OK, probably dates from this in July 2016:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/6076-new-rule-posts-about-stockimo/?tab=comments#comment-101514

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

A youthful mid-70's here. (My wife recently got a birthday card from my sister. Outside of card: "We're not getting older, we're getting better."  Inside of card: "Now you say it to me."  They both have August birthdays.)

I also got my first SLR in 1968, from the PX catalog while in Vietnam (along with stereo system and all the other stuff everybody got). But didn't get into stock until about 2000, anticipating retirement from the paying job.

4 hours ago, ACC said:

I’m 53. I did O Level photography at school and have loved it ever since. My daughter is doing GCSE photography and has spent the afternoon preparing “contact sheets”. . She looked blank when I explained how negatives (wot?) used to come into CONTACT with the photographic paper. Her teacher might not even remember that.

I still do invigilating at the school where I used to work full-time. GCSE and A Level Photography are now exams in Photoshop - the kids hardly go near a camera. It's all rather depressing.

Learned some basic darkroom skills from my father around 1960 but didn't really take up photography till the 80's.  Sold a few photos over the years - mostly to accompany articles I'd written.  Got tired of nurserymen, garden centres and others ripping off images from my blog so started submitting to Alamy in Jan 2014.  Enjoying some success now I've reached 69.  Should have started with stock a lot earlier 😊

• Like 1

I like the idea of encouraging the kids to do something which will provide them with something which generates an income, but as you imply, Ian the effort/reward ratio isn't going to appeal. Not sure it will improve soon either. Better off pushing them towards an extra exam, basic carpentry or an organic allotment, but thats just my POV.

Any way who listens to their parents? First camera melted on the Parcel Shelf of Dad's Morris 1100, yes he did say don't leave it there.

So this Grandad is saying g'night!

Edited by Mr Standfast
Morris not austin
  • Love 1

I’m not long in the tooth. I had them filed down recently.

I’ve been serious about photography for 15 years. Before that, I took pictures of family and as a source for my watercolors. 

None of my family is interested in stock. My married daughter enters photos at the count fair, but I don’t think she’s up for the work involved in stock. She’s more interested in instant gratification and we all know we don’t get that in this business, don’t we?

And if you think I’m telling my age....don’t hold your breath or I’ll be attending your funeral. 

Let’s just say I’ve been around since God made dirt.

Betty

• Like 1