Are Alamy stock photographers all ages?

geogphotos

Question

I get the impression that our community here on the forum is a little long in the tooth.🙂

I have suggested doing stock to my children - all three are quite arty -  and they just laugh at the idea of all the hard work, the low fees, and the essential 'squareness' of it. They will happily share pics on social media and seem to spend half their time taking photos on their devices.

Are we an ageing bunch - are youngsters arriving on the scene or not bothering?

I'm 63

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I get the impression that our community here on the forum is a little long in the tooth.🙂

I have suggested doing stock to my children - all three are quite arty -  and they just laugh at the idea of all the hard work, the low fees, and the essential 'squareness' of it. They will happily share pics on social media and seem to spend half their time taking photos on their devices.

Are we an ageing bunch - are youngsters arriving on the scene or not bothering?

I'm 63

Maybe so, but a bit like Betty, my teeth havent grown ;)  - I know of photographers who have this same feeling for stock. If you are young and the world still seems to be your oyster, I guess I can understand (in a way) that you'd rather be buzzing with the rest of your contemporaries.

I've always been of the mind that it is both absorbing and fulfilling to slow down and be creative, and also to have different income sources. 

I had a job I loved, and in that regard work doesn't become a slog. Same with photography (imv).

I guess our world view is different as we weren't heavily influenced by TV (and social media) whilst young.

It's a complex issue !

You could write a thesi on the topic  if truth be told :) 

Had a camera on and off all my life, but started submitting to stock in 2016, though more seriously since late last year.

Edited by BidC

I started on the road to stock in 1977 when I submitted a few pics to Barnabys Picture Library. At the time I was only a hobbyist so wasn't really taking it seriously, but after joining J Allan Cash in 1980 I quickly learned that stock was not about pretty or arty pictures but about useful pictures. At the time I was living in Germany so I was able to supply them with a steady stream of contemporary images from Europe. I stayed with them until they went out of business around 2000. I was put off joining Alamy for a long time because of all the letters in the BFP newsletter saying how difficult it was to pass QC. Now I kick myself for not having cashed in when the going was good!

Alan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I still do invigilating at the school where I used to work full-time. GCSE and A Level Photography are now exams in Photoshop - the kids hardly go near a camera. It's all rather depressing.

I’d like to give the class a 24 shot 35mm film and say “right, you’ve got to make that last a week and you have to get them processed at Boots. All creativity done in the camera. No post-production tinkering allowed. Oh, and you’ll have to wait two weeks to see what you’ve got”. 

OK, i’m a dinosaur.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ACC said:

I’d like to give the class a 24 shot 35mm film and say “right, you’ve got to make that last a week and you have to get them processed at Boots. All creativity done in the camera. No post-production tinkering allowed. Oh, and you’ll have to wait two weeks to see what you’ve got”. 

OK, i’m a dinosaur.

Not a dinosaur at all - I believe this was roughly the rule on David Hurn's Magnum course at Newport - 36 exposures and a 50mm lens only to shoot a story. Way to go, I think, but then I'm 69 (started with a Pentax K1000 in 1972)

Alex

• Love 1

I'm 75. It would be great to have one of those younger, springier bodies to traipse around in but coming of age in the mid-sixties was a kick in the pants and I'd hate to have missed it. Maybe it's because of that that every time I hear the name of the iPhone picture site we aren't supposed to mention, Iko Iko starts running through my head. (Talk-in' 'bout, hey now hey now I-ko, I-ko, un-day, Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né)

Edited by DDoug
  • Like 1

Another septuagenarian at 74! Started photography in the early 1950's when I ran around with my Kodak Brownie 127 and have been obsessed ever since. After a reasonably successful career in the oil industry I took early retirement at age 52 and worked my way into my own small photography business which is something I always wanted to do. Stock eventually became a part of it and I just caught the tail end of good prices when I joined Alamy in 2005. Have achieved some 'letters' and have managed LRPS, CPAGB, BPE3 and AFIAP with the last two being the result of entering National and International Salons which I still enjoy. Retirement on the business side may be looming again!!

Jim :)

• Love 1

I was 68 in July, but feel younger. I started contributing to Alamy back in 2017. I did consider Alamy long ago, pre DSLR, but was never over enthusiastic scanning many strips of 35mm negatives in my Minolta Dimage 5400. I actually enjoy researching what I intend to shoot, or have shot, people, organisations, companies, whatever. I've always had an inquisitive nature.

Processed my first film at around 7 (127 film), and over the years used 35mm, 6x6 and 5x4 film, darkroom then scanning. Have shot digital since 2005/6. 

I can't see droves of youngsters being keen on shooting Alamy stock. Falling license fees, and thinking a phone can shoot everything come into play. I suspect most future contributors will be retired (I'm not) just looking to add to their pension. There will obviously be exceptions.

You "old" dudes seems so young to me. It's less than two months till my 85th birthday. It could be that I'm the oldest contributor with Alamy. ???

I'll remind you all that I never had photography as a hobby and never owned a camera until I traded a guitar for one. I sold images from my first roll of B&W film so I was  instantly a pro. That was in 1959 or '60.  

Edo

• Love 5
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You "old" dudes seems so young to me. It's less than two months till my 85th birthday. It could be that I'm the oldest contributor with Alamy. ???

I'll remind you all that I never had photography as a hobby and never owned a camera until I traded a guitar for one. I sold images from my first roll of B&W film so I was  instantly a pro. That was in 1959 or '60.  

Edo

You're probably not the oldest hombre on the block.

Mexican photographer Manuel Álvarez Bravo, a favourite of mine, took up photographing nudes at the age of 99.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

I sold a few images taken with my Canon Sure-Shot film camera long before I got into stock, besides being published in two different mags. That was fun.  Unlike you, it didn’t make me a pro, it only made me lucky.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I may be totally wrong with this thought, but here goes. I think photographers, especially stock photographers, tend to be content with their own company. I don’t mean we’re not social, or need people,  it’s only that we contemplate our day of work and are happy to go about it without saying a word to anyone all day if that’s how the day goes.

We can spend hours squirreled away, concentrating on developing and tagging without feeling lonely. Before my husband passed, I would tell him I was getting ready to work and tended to bark at him if he interrupted me with inconsequential matters too many times. It caused me to lose my train of thought, especially if I were tagging.

It helps to be a bit of a loner, even with a family. I always craved my “alone time” and was unhappy if I didn’t get some, even while raising three children. 

So...my point being I think there’s a bit of a personality type required to maintain this business for years. I think that’s why people try it for a while, then drop out. They aren’t the “type.”

You?

Betty

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I sold a few images taken with my Canon Sure-Shot film camera long before I got into stock, besides being published in two different mags. That was fun.  Unlike you, it didn’t make me a pro, it only made me lucky.

24 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I may be totally wrong with this thought, but here goes. I think photographers, especially stock photographers, tend to be content with their own company. I don’t mean we’re not social, or need people,  it’s only that we contemplate our day of work and are happy to go about it without saying a word to anyone all day if that’s how the day goes.

We can spend hours squirreled away, concentrating on developing and tagging without feeling lonely. Before my husband passed, I would tell him I was getting ready to work and tended to bark at him if he interrupted me with inconsequential matters too many times. It caused me to lose my train of thought, especially if I were tagging.

It helps to be a bit of a loner, even with a family. I always craved my “alone time” and was unhappy if I didn’t get some, even while raising three children. 

So...my point being I think there’s a bit of a personality type required to maintain this business for years. I think that’s why people try it for a while, then drop out. They aren’t the “type.”

You?

Betty

Wow Betty that struck a chord with me. I spend hours out by myself with my camera and I get completely absorbed in what I’m doing. The exception recently has been photo trips out with a friend who i introduced to Alamy who is equally enthusiastic. 

Angela

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACC said:

Wow Betty that struck a chord with me. I spend hours out by myself with my camera and I get completely absorbed in what I’m doing. The exception recently has been photo trips out with a friend who i introduced to Alamy who is equally enthusiastic. 

Angela

Yes. I went a long distance by car to hook up with a wonderful lady I met on this very forum. We went to many birding places on the coasts of Texas and Louisiana. Like-minded, fun.

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You?

Betty

You hit the nail on the head with me, Betty. I've always been comfortable in my own company. And when I was traveling the world, I traveled alone. But yes, I like people and am not shy or awkward with them. 

But not all types of photography are lonely activities. Studio work is very social. You work with a team. Working with models and doing portraits is social. I have a good friend who does those bug catalogues. That's team work. High-end food photography is team work too. 

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You hit the nail on the head with me, Betty. I've always been comfortable in my own company. And when I was traveling the world, I traveled alone. But yes, I like people and am not shy or awkward with them. 

But not all types of photography are lonely activities. Studio work is very social. You work with a team. Working with models and doing portraits is social. I have a good friend who does those bug catalogues. That's team work. High-end food photography is team work too. 

Very true. That’s why I don’t do professionally set-up food photography, or portraits unless it’s family, or any of those things. I don’t work well under pressure, never have. When I made good grades in school, I barely passed timed tests. My brain would freeze. The one wedding I did was a nightmare for me, and the most exhausting I thing ever did with photography. 

I’ll take stock and creative works for POD. Solitary, and the only pressure is if I put it on myself.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo

43 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You?

Betty

Yes, it's all part of neuro diversity.  When it comes to stock photography I definitely feel like a square peg in a square hole. Engaging with people isn't the easiest thing for me but photography provides a reason and framework to talk to strangers. I like it!

I would have to sign up to this observer/outsider role. It's probably part of my personality but also there from studying the much maligned subject of sociology, and more mundanely from my interest in geography and places. I am happy in my own company but also seem to find it easy to get talking to people in pubs, shops, in the street,  and the like. I also enjoy setting my own agenda and using my own initiative.

Of course we all have plenty to grumble about but this is the job that I have always wanted! And I still feel very grateful to the Internet and Alamy in particular for making it possible back when I started. Before that it really was quite hard to get accepted by any agencies, and very hard indeed to get in with the good agencies. 

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Very true. That’s why I don’t do professionally set-up food photography, or portraits unless it’s family, or any of those things. I don’t work well under pressure, never have. When I made good grades in school, I barely passed timed tests. My brain would freeze. The one wedding I did was a nightmare for me, and the most exhausting I thing ever did with photography. 

I’ll take stock and creative works for POD. Solitary, and the only pressure is if I put it on myself.

I could never do a wedding, or portraits for that matter, ,<shudder> - too many people, too much pressure. if i take 1000 images and drop my card somewhere i’ve noone to answer to except myself.

Yeah, I can identify with this profile--definitely a loner (but married 51 years so far). 

Not sure that the ability to work well under pressure is relevant to whether one does stock. I've always worked very well under pressure (used to say I work only under pressure, but that gives the wrong impression).

The ability to work under pressure affects how I do stock photography when I'm at a site, applying self-pressure to maximize the opportunity. But we all do that.

6 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Yeah, I can identify with this profile--definitely a loner (but married 51 years so far). 

Not sure that the ability to work well under pressure is relevant to whether one does stock. I've always worked very well under pressure (used to say I work only under pressure, but that gives the wrong impression).

The ability to work under pressure affects how I do stock photography when I'm at a site, applying self-pressure to maximize the opportunity. But we all do that.

The pressure I’m speaking of is other’s expectations of what I do.

For example. Years ago when I took up watercolor, I painted for myself, what I liked. The people I worked with often asked me to bring them to the office to see. I did. The doctor I worked for saw them and bought some to hang in his office. Then the patients saw them, saw my signature. Began asking me to do commission work. “ I want something that will match my new sofa” commissions.  I did a few, sweating blood the whole time. How could I possibly meet the expectations they had in their heads? For me, this was nightmare stuff.

All the joy of painting left me, and I stopped painting, because the thought of it brought the panicked feeling back.

I’ve only just now taken it up again. It was my fault for feeling flattered enough to say yes.

No more.

But yes, I can put pressure on myself to do a good job with any project I undertake, or to work a photography shoot well. But that is pleasurable, and rewarding for me.

I have a forgiving boss that gives me a pass when I screw up.

60. The age doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of working knees does. How many shots do you take in a squatting or crouching position? Can't do it. I either stand or put one knee on the (wet/muddy/dirty/stony) ground. At the end of last year I migrated to a mirrorless camera with a flip-out screen which should give more options for viewpoint, but I'm so old-school I can never remember to use it. First camera was a Zenit B back in the mid-seventies. It was so manual you had to focus wide open then stop down to take the shot.

On the plus side, my sense of humour is still juvenile.

• Love 1