You know you are a Stock photgrapher when...

When you come up dry for subjects, then look at your feet and think... should I? Then decide no, you shouldn’t subject anyone to that.

Or your spouse doesn’t dare nap in the living room or he ends up in your portfolio captioned, “Old Fart sleeping”.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When you come up dry for subjects, then look at your feet and think... should I? Then decide no, you shouldn’t subject anyone to that.

Or your spouse doesn’t dare nap in the living room or he ends up in your portfolio captioned, “Old Fart sleeping”.

The feet thing 🤣

....when you can't photograph the Labour Party EU election launch in the next town because you are invigilating a photography exam in the school where you used to work because it is a few hours of guaranteed minimum wage. 

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 3

When you just have to have that new lens! ...dreaming about it...you bully yourself into buying it....because you know ? you are going to make MEGA stock sales from using this lens 😀....In hindsight and after owning said lens for some time you sell it, realising that you did not need it after all.....It was just lens lust! Ha

• Like 1

While traveling, you almost forget to see nature as a whole through the car window, instead you pick out individual parts. The wildflowers...the stunning tree...the tumbled-down barn. The children playing in mud. All the time measuring whether it’s a stock opportunity.

Being a photographer changes the way you look at the world.

I noticed years ago after painting in watercolor, I saw nature as Raw Sienna, Alizarin Red, Ultramarine blue, Cobalt blue...that stormy cloud was ultramarine blue grayed down with a mix of burnt umber or raw sienna. So many paint colors in nature.

It’s all very strange that what you do, affects how you see, and how you filter what you see.

Betty

• Love 1
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Shergar said:

You wake up at 3 am with a great new keyword and you can't remember it in the morning!!!!

Notepad and pencil on bedside table.

Must remember to do that.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Notepad and pencil on bedside table.

Must remember to do that.

This is my 'notepad & pencil'. Always in my pocket (or bedside table)... to record pic locations, possible keywords, shopping lists, brilliant (?) ideas, how long I have left on my parking ticket, etc. It doesn't plug into a computer; it can't go online; it never needs rebooting or "restoring to factory settings'. It just records my voice... then plays it back. As a gadget: damn near perfect!

Image result for Sony icd

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

This is my 'notepad & pencil'. Always in my pocket (or bedside table)... to record pic locations, possible keywords, shopping lists, brilliant (?) ideas, how long I have left on my parking ticket, etc. It doesn't plug into a computer; it can't go online; it never needs rebooting or "restoring to factory settings'. It just records my voice... then plays it back. As a gadget: damn near perfect!

Batteries. Don't tell me about batteries.

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

While traveling, you almost forget to see nature as a whole through the car window, instead you pick out individual parts. The wildflowers...the stunning tree...the tumbled-down barn. The children playing in mud. All the time measuring whether it’s a stock opportunity.

I noticed years ago after painting in watercolor, I saw nature as Raw Sienna, Alizarin Red, Ultramarine blue, Cobalt blue...that stormy cloud was ultramarine blue grayed down with a mix of burnt umber or raw sienna. So many paint colors in nature.

It’s all very strange that what you do, affects how you see, and how you filter what you see.

Betty

Lovely observation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

“We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are" Anaïs Nin

cleardot.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

“We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are" Anaïs Nin

And my favourite photographic quote: "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" (Dorothea Lange)...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Morrison said:

If it could cook breakfast, I'd say it WAS perfect . . .

DD

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" (Dorothea Lange)

and that in turn has something in common with Garry Winogrand:

"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."

• Like 1

Great thread, made me chuckle as I recognised many of the symptoms, but, clearly, I am not sufficiently dedicated.

One to add, arrive at airport in good time but can't find camera.  Despite vigorous protests from spouse, drive home to get it. Can't find it there either, it had fallen behind driver's seat, but in state of panic don't find it.  Had a miserable holiday without camera. Form of torture seeing all of those scenes, but unable to capture any of them. Actually that part is not true, after coming to terms with the situation, wonderful to be able to relax and just enjoy the day.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Brian; I've left lots of things behind, phone, prescriptions, a bag of chargers, but I didn't know wheter to laugh or cry when I read this.

May I suggest to prevent further holiday anxiety  take this on your next holiday:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imago_camera

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Brian; I've left lots of things behind, phone, prescriptions, a bag of chargers, but I didn't know wheter to laugh or cry when I read this.

May I suggest to prevent further holiday anxiety  take this on your next holiday:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imago_camera

Cheers!

"large format"!

LMAO😂

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Great thread, made me chuckle as I recognised many of the symptoms, but, clearly, I am not sufficiently dedicated.

One to add, arrive at airport in good time but can't find camera.  Despite vigorous protests from spouse, drive home to get it. Can't find it there either, it had fallen behind driver's seat, but in state of panic don't find it.  Had a miserable holiday without camera. Form of torture seeing all of those scenes, but unable to capture any of them. Actually that part is not true, after coming to terms with the situation, wonderful to be able to relax and just enjoy the day.

OMG - definately cry and then head to the nearest bar !  It's so easy for things like this to happen pre/during/post holiday as I know only too well.  Perhaps another thread i.e., the perils of taking your camera anywhere and actually using it😉