You know you are a Stock photgrapher when...

You go to a family gathering after carefully choosing the perfect lenses to take for your mirrorless camera, and you tucked the RX100-3 into your handbag.  

Carry your gear inside. Get caught up in conversations, eating, interacting with children. Hours pass.

At the end of the day, you get ready to go home. See your untouched gear. Load it in the car, sunk into depression because you didn’t shoot those hands preparing food. Or the son-in-law grilling. Or those cute rug rats playing together. You just flat out forgot to be a stock photographer.

....a  wedding invitation comes in the mail and your hubby says,  "You can't bring models releases to my client's wedding."  

...you don't mind your husband's bald spot, but your considering making him wear a baseball cap on your next hike for all those "man in nature from behind " shots. 

... your daughter turns 18 and you have her sign model releases for every photo in the family album. She turns 25, has a kid, and hides your camera when you come to visit. And the pix she sends you daily from her iPhone are better than anything you've ever shot...or maybe it's just that your grandson is the cutest baby ever...Oh no, that's you know you are a grandma when....never mind! 

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 3

...when on monday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

...on tuesday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

...on wednesday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

and then, oh joy, oh happy day, the next licence in the pipeline clears, at last, at last!  It's an eastern european distributor sale.

... on thursday you stare at your cleared balance of 49$. Mockingly it stares back at you.

...on friday you stare at your cleared balance of 49$. Mockingly it stares back at you....

• Like 1

... when you haven't left for Vanuatu yet but are already researching and inputting keywords in Bridge in preparation.

... when you're looking at a scene and keywords pop up in your brain 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

...when on monday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

...on tuesday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

...on wednesday you stare at your cleared balance of 47$. Humorlessly it stares back at you.

and then, oh joy, oh happy day, the next licence in the pipeline clears, at last, at last!  It's an eastern european distributor sale.

... on thursday you stare at your cleared balance of 49$. Mockingly it stares back at you.

...on friday you stare at your cleared balance of 49$. Mockingly it stares back at you....

I once waited for an NU sale that was under $1 to clear so I'd finally make payout. This was when payout was still $250.I think I waited two months just 40 cents shy of $250... It drove me crazy.  

• Like 2

...your forgot your bug spray but you still spend hours with gnats and mosquitoes circling your face on the beach to get that perfect blue hour, then that perfect nighttime image, and you have the bites to show for it. 

...you read this forum and realized you donated your daughter's old knee pads when they could have become part of you kit for free... saving countless pairs of jeans. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne said:

I once waited for an NU sale that was under $1 to clear so I'd finally make payout. This was when payout was still $250.I think I waited two months just 40 cents shy of $250... It drove me crazy.  

8 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Oh this made me laugh so much thank you 🤣

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Haha, we’re actually stuck on $47 at the moment. We have a sale from January which should have tipped us over the line but we’ve just heard the client has gone into administration! 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

...your forgot your bug spray but you still spend hours with gnats and mosquitoes circling your face on the beach to get that perfect blue hour, then that perfect nighttime image, and you have the bites to show for it. 

...you read this forum and realized you donated your daughter's old knee pads when they could have become part of you kit for free... saving countless pairs of jeans. 

Always wear knee pads for my butterfly shots!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

While researching for keywords/ captions from your latest trip, you discover all sorts of things you wish you'd done & photographed.

I'm with you on this one Bill. No matter how much research I do beforehand, I always find something new while I'm researching keywords. 

You know you are a stock photographer when you learn there are structural problems, with a need for major reconstruction of a part of your home, and the only bright side you can see is the potential for photos of demolition, workmen, and the self-storage unit for your possessions. 

• Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 11:29, John Richmond said:

....you get a loathsome disease and regard it as an opportunity.

I did that to my friend. I had him roll up his trouser leg so I could photograph the wound he got after falling off a ladder with an electric hedgecutter in his hand! When I was going through chemo I even photographed my peeling skin off my big toe!!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I did that to my friend. I had him roll up his trouser leg so I could photograph the wound he got after falling off a ladder with an electric hedgecutter in his hand! When I was going through chemo I even photographed my peeling skin off my big toe!!

On the subject of Key Words your T8JKB8 and T8JKAN  is Clematis Montana.

Cheers

Andy

On 15/05/2019 at 01:36, gvallee said:

... when you haven't left for Vanuatu yet but are already researching and inputting keywords in Bridge in preparation.

... when you're looking at a scene and keywords pop up in your brain 

...you don't take a picture because you can't think of any keywords for the scene.

• Like 1

When you specifically (for stock) plant a tree that blooms and bears fruit (crabapple)  just off your covered patio, then wait a few years to sit in shade and photograph birds surrounded by blooms or small red fruit.

• Love 2