How was your September?

Two lousy sales for $165. That is off BME of August (over $1K gross). That's the way of stock business today, I guess.

Compare 3/4 of the year with 2012, I had the exact same number of sales. But the gross has gone up about 15%, enough to cover the extra 10% contribution to Alamy, with a few pennies leftover. -_-

Guys, this is the most depressing thread I have read in a while. You guys have between 1,000 and 45,000 images in your portfolios and I see reports of 3 sales, 4 sales, 6 sales, 100 dollar, 200 dollar, 600 dollar. I have 400 images, what can I expect here if some of you with 12,000 images have 3 sales for a couple hundred dollar? 12,000 images should see at least 2000 dollar per month. 

Yesterday I decided to get more images online with Alamy, but whats the use? If 12,000 images cant make any substantial sales, I have no business here with my tiny portfolio. And things are not going to get better. 

Its heartbreaking to see people saying they had a good or average month with 4 sales on 8,000 images. 

I have seen reports of other people that havent had a sale for 2.5 months, and I am in the same boat. Something happened 2-3 months ago, and it stopped my sales dead. And this thread confirmed it for me, the time and effort to get images through the tedious editor system is not worth it when the only return I expect to see is 4 sales on 12,000 images. 

I wish you all good luck, but this is the end for me on Alamy. I have been waiting since July for a sale to clear so I can get paid which would be in another 45 days. Waiting for 6 months to get paid is another thing I find very frustrating. 

Its not worth it. I am done with Alamy. Once more I wish you all the best. 

Cheers

Ron

That's your call, Ron, and good luck to you.

But with 416 images you've never really been in the game. And the number of images is not the only factor here. Your problem is/was too much theory and not enough activity . . . you talk the talk but you won't walk the walk. The entire stock industry has been collapsing in on itself and continues to do so. So the agency across town is in trouble too. 

I had one sale here at Alamy for $152 gross but seeing as it was a distributor sale I got a cut of a cut. Still, a sale on Alamy is always nice.

Elsewhere, I had a huge sales report from one of my other libraries at around $2000 gross but unfortunately they take a nice slice of the pie.

However, I am pleased as for a couple of months it seemed that things had gone dead.

And Ron, don't give up yet. The problem is you have to be like a rabid dog with this game and just going on all the time. 

Pretty good month number-wise with 11 RM sales (7 non-distributor and 4 distributor). However, the average price was disappointing (only about $41). I usually have a couple of "decent" (i.e. over $100) licenses to help offset the really low ones, but that didn't happen in September.

Guys, this is the most depressing thread I have read in a while. You guys have between 1,000 and 45,000 images in your portfolios and I see reports of 3 sales, 4 sales, 6 sales, 100 dollar, 200 dollar, 600 dollar. I have 400 images, what can I expect here if some of you with 12,000 images have 3 sales for a couple hundred dollar? 12,000 images should see at least 2000 dollar per month. 

Yesterday I decided to get more images online with Alamy, but whats the use? If 12,000 images cant make any substantial sales, I have no business here with my tiny portfolio. And things are not going to get better. 

Its heartbreaking to see people saying they had a good or average month with 4 sales on 8,000 images. 

I have seen reports of other people that havent had a sale for 2.5 months, and I am in the same boat. Something happened 2-3 months ago, and it stopped my sales dead. And this thread confirmed it for me, the time and effort to get images through the tedious editor system is not worth it when the only return I expect to see is 4 sales on 12,000 images. 

I wish you all good luck, but this is the end for me on Alamy. I have been waiting since July for a sale to clear so I can get paid which would be in another 45 days. Waiting for 6 months to get paid is another thing I find very frustrating. 

Its not worth it. I am done with Alamy. Once more I wish you all the best. 

Cheers

Ron

Interesting move, Ron!

Does this mean Symbiostock is taking off for you?

Are you quitting any other agency?

I share your opinion about the lopsided collection/sales ratio for some contributors, but I'm not sure what the underlying cause is.

Wrong market? Wrong agency? Too many images? Too many competitors? Images not good enough? Probably a different set for different photographers.

wim

That's your call, Ron, and good luck to you.

But with 416 images you've never really been in the game. And the number of images is not the only factor here. Your problem is/was too much theory and not enough activity . . . you talk the talk but you won't walk the walk. The entire stock industry has been collapsing in on itself and continues to do so. So the agency across town is in trouble too. 

WIth all due respect Ed, but I have walked the walk. I have been shooting images for 18 months now, and I have a portfolio of 1000 images elsewhere. But read my post again please and this thread. There are people here that walked the walk, and with 12,000 twelve thousand images (!) have 4 FOUR sales. It has nothing to do with me talking but everything with sales on Alamy. 

Cheers. 

Interesting move, Ron!

Does this mean Symbiostock is taking off for you?

Are you quitting any other agency?

I share your opinion about the lopsided collection/sales ratio for some contributors, but I'm not sure what the underlying cause is.

Wrong market? Wrong agency? Too many images? Too many competitors? Images not good enough? Probably a different set for different photographers.

wim

Hoi Wim, 

Yes, I have cut down on more agencies with no return or little return. I dropped FT, PD, GL, DP, and I am looking at performance at 123 and CSP to see if I need to drop them too. By dropping I mean stopped contributing. My own site has generated me 5 sales so far and its just in its infant shoes but already outperforming the majority of the micros. 

I also dont know what the problem is, people tell me my images are good, yet I see no sales. But do I need to keep submitting based on hope? I dont know Wim, I wish I knew. 

Cheers. 

I also dont know what the problem is, people tell me my images are good, yet I see no sales.

Only one person here is surprised that 416 images aren’t producing regular sales. The pix look fine to me; it's your attitude I'd question...

I also dont know what the problem is, people tell me my images are good, yet I see no sales.

Only one person here is surprised that 416 images aren’t producing regular sales. The pix look fine to me; it's your attitude I'd question...

John, 3rd time I am going to say this, I had regular sales, and they stopped dead. Second, its not about my 416 images, but about the fact that portfolios with thousands of images also dont produce any significant sales. 

As for my attitude, not sure what you are getting at, but if helping an old lady cross the street tomorrow will increase my sales, I am all for it. If you question my work ethic, then I have no further comments. 

Cheers. 

I had regular sales, and they stopped dead.

Here’s a thought: you may have had beginner’s luck, with a few quick sales, which raised your expectations too high.

From 8,000+ pix here, I get an average of one sale every two days. But that’s the average: last week I had five sales in one day, breaking a barren spell of two weeks. These peaks and troughs seem pretty consistent with a medium-sized portfolio like mine. With 416 pix, the peaks and troughs will be much bigger, and, of course, the total number of sales will be fewer...

I had regular sales, and they stopped dead.

Here’s a thought: you may have had beginner’s luck, with a few quick sales, which raised your expectations too high.

From 8,000+ pix here, I get an average of one sale every two days. But that’s the average: last week I had five sales in one day, breaking a barren spell of two weeks. These peaks and troughs seem pretty consistent with a medium-sized portfolio like mine. With 416 pix, the peaks and troughs will be much bigger, and, of course, the total number of sales will be fewer...

Very true.... Up until very recently I only had about 1k images and I've been uploading like a demon here and elsewhere.... nothing here this month but zooms are now at 44 for the month and quite a few are on ref numbers so looking positive. 

My separate micro port, is doing well and is helping fill in the troughs here rather nicely. One month I netted just over $300 from RM, the next nowt. But my port here has some time to go before producing larger figures on a consistent basis.

As Jools also mentioned, you need to to keep at it like a rabid dog..... tunnel vision on only one thing, success! And that means repeating the following

1. Research.

2. Take photos.

3. Process, keyword and upload.

and repeat time and time again. I make a point of uploading at least 200-250 micro shots in a month and when working on purely on RM / Editorial, between 600-1000. I'm playing catch up so I have to motor otherwise I'll be old and grey before I succeed.....

Also, expect a reduced income. Jeff's comments about expected income if starting out today were very useful in that I now have a target. I'm more than half way to 2014 figure of $3,000 net and that's after the first few months of nearly bog all. I now know the only way I'll fail is if I stop trying....... and that ain't going to happen while there is breath in me!

WIth all due respect Ed, but I have walked the walk. I have been shooting images for 18 months now,

Maybe you're a 'my glass is half empty' sort of person...

An optimist would see these reported figures...

3,700 = 12

4,000 = 9

4,700 = 12

28,000 = 58

22,000 = 55

4,800 = 15

5,400 = 17

13,700 = 33

Have you really 'walked the walk'?

Archived