Here in Oklahoma, the weather is chilly, dank and cloudy/dark enough that the streetlights were on at noon. Most certainly not conducive to outdoor photography.

Christmas Day will be below freezing with possibility of snow. And we have to travel that day.

I can’t see myself going out to shoot. Horrible light. Other than shooting Christmas lights, forget about it, and I did that before...nobody zooms them, let alone buys them. A no-win situation. I think I sold one years ago. An outdoor artificial tree with real icycles on it! More of a ‘weather’ pic.

I may scrounge around and see if I can find something to shoot tabletop.

How about you in your part of the world?

Betty

Just brown nonsense from December through March here in Alabama.  Not very inspiring.  I much prefer winter light however.  It does have a nice feel to it but because of the low angle in the winter, I find I have to shoot mostly in one direction, North, to get front light.  Rather limiting.

Rick

About eighteen inches of snow came down last week. Now its fairly cold, -22C at the moment. Have negotiated an evening off from family duties and me and a photo pal are going to do some evening/night shots of the snow and Xmas lights in old Quebec. He's just bought a brand new full frame Canon too so he'll be itching to try it out. 

Up in North Central Washington (Lake Chelan) we are waiting for snow. It's cloudy, cold and ugly right now, but that is due to change next week. I'm just taking the time to work on images on my computer and upload from our recent cruise to the Bahamas.

1 hour ago, vpics said:

Once spoke to an owner of a stock agency and he said "go out when the weather is fine and there's blue sky. Stay at home and edit when the sky is grey". 

Words of wisdom!

One on the good things about living on Oahu is that our "winter" can be the nicest time of year (if it's not raining), The hills are lush green, the air is cool and the views are crisp. We even have weather people warn us if the nighttime temperatures should drop into the upper 60s, "better have an extra blanket ready" :)

We were warned that we where about to enter the coldest week of the year and today it arrived. Normally we endure a mean 33 degrees with 80% humidity, a.k.a hot and sticky. Temperatures now down to 23 degrees centigrade with a brisk breeze against bright, clear blue skies. Bracing stuff. That'll do me fine! 

26 minutes ago, dlmphotog said:

Words of wisdom!

One on the good things about living on Oahu is that our "winter" can be the nicest time of year (if it's not raining), The hills are lush green, the air is cool and the views are crisp. We even have weather people warn us if the nighttime temperatures should drop into the upper 60s, "better have an extra blanket ready" :)

And the surf is up, David! 

When I did travel marketing shoots for airlines, I was sent to Hawaii five years in a row for Christmas. Each time I covered the 4 major islands. When the 6th year came and there was no assignment, I thought both God and Santa were angry with me. 

Edo

2 hours ago, vpics said:

Once spoke to an owner of a stock agency and he said "go out when the weather is fine and there's blue sky. Stay at home and edit when the sky is grey". 

I do have a folder with unedited work. I’ve been lucky enough to get ahead of the game a bit considering circumstances make it hard for me to get out.  We will be getting polar air around Thursday that will stay awhile. I don’t care for July, August, January and February. The extremes. I could handle winter better if the days weren’t so short. I’m a light responder. At least in summer if I can get out early before it gets so hot, it’s doable.

It’s hard for me to get inspired when everything is brown.

Maybe when the holidays are over it’ll be time to go to the mall and get stealthy with my RX MKlll.

We’re about to have the winter soltace, so the days will start getting longer. I shouldn’t obsess about that, but I do.

Oahu, ha! I wish.

Lovely light here in northern NSW Australia.It's 39 degrees C/102 F air temperature rising to 56 C/128 F  in the sun. . Had two days of summer thunder storms so it's very humid. No electricity for a few hours while a mobile phone tower is is hooked up to the grid. Too exhausted to go down to photograph the action,

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Here in Oklahoma, the weather is chilly, dank and cloudy/dark enough that the streetlights were on at noon. Most certainly not conducive to outdoor photography.

Christmas Day will be below freezing with possibility of snow. And we have to travel that day.

I can’t see myself going out to shoot. Horrible light. Other than shooting Christmas lights, forget about it, and I did that before...nobody zooms them, let alone buys them. A no-win situation. I think I sold one years ago. An outdoor artificial tree with real icycles on it! More of a ‘weather’ pic.

I may scrounge around and see if I can find something to shoot tabletop.

How about you in your part of the world?

Betty

It is dark, the sun is just over the horizon for 5-6 hours, coldish at -6C, snow and snowing intermittently - love it! Lovely time to be out, crisp air, all the trees are white, the sound of snow under the feet and everything is way more quiet. Plenty to do (predominately sledging with the kids) and photograph outdoors - snowy fashion/lifestyle/environmental portraiture  has been great sellers through the years. However, my current personal objective is this annoying huge male moose that is always out the back when I'm cameraless, and nowhere to be seen when I'm armed and ready - he's mocking me, but I will get him.

Had some chilly days with overnight and occasional daytime frosts, and a touch of snow, but also a few bright days. Thinking positively, no heat haze to worry about!

Managed to get some reasonable industrial shots on one bright day last week, took a while for my fingers to recover....

A couple of days ago, on the weatherman's promise of a blue sky, I travelled to a high point with a 500mm lens and tripod, but there was persistent low cloud, a nagging freezing wind, and I got very cold, but nothing usable.

Yesterday morning there was an intense red sky, which I snapped from the warmth of the house, but, sadly, not a commercial image.

I should learn to keep back some of my summer shots for winter editing.

Shortest day not far away, looking forward to sunshine to come.

In Toronto we do not get photographic winter until about mid January. Last week was -20C and sunny, but hardly any snow. Our Christmas does not look like Christmas.

I usually use mid November through December to think about new visual directions, experiment on the computer, and plan the next year, including a winter trip to the tropics.

Was out with a underwater waterproof camera in freezing rain this morning, but there were so many traffic accidents, I called it a day by 9:30 AM. Will try maybe this PM if they get the roads salted.

Envy Martin with his real winter.

Up here in Lindsay, its hovering around 0C  (32F).  Wet snow falling with a threat of freezing drizzle.  Going to be +4 and rain tomorrow.  Not a lot of snow, but will end up with a lot of ice when the rain freezes overnight.  Looks like it will be a green (metaphoically) Christmas here.

Stuck indoors at a mall flogging the doggie wares, so no chances for shooting.  Hoping for some sunny January days to get out with the camera a bit.

Jill

14 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Now its fairly cold, -22C at the moment.

Fairly cold? :o

FAIRLY COLD?

Ye Gods Colin, I'd hate to be in Quebec when you reckon it's properly cold!

Have to say it's a pleasant +10c here in Devon. :lol:

Whilst the rest of the UK was under a foot of snow a week ago, we were wandering along the river front at Dartmouth

dartmouth-10th-dec-17with-the-rest-of-th

Plan on a bit of gardening tomorrow - moving some roses.

Minus 22C.....eeeeekkkk!

yeh, there's cold and then there's CANADA COLD1 I grew up in Kingston which was pretty reasonable due to Lake Ontario, but visiting Ottawa or Montreal was a different matter. And then I went out to Winnipeg to have a crack at University where I experienced  what a Canadian Prairie winter could be. I'm afraid that was what mostly did for me and a bid to become an architect and sent me across the pond to art school in Oxford

Yes, -22 is fairly cold. Once January is here then it can get down to -28 or -30. When its like that and windy, staying in and editing is very tempting. Less than -30 is quite rare here in Quebec, but if you go to Abitibi and Rouyn which are about 10-12 hours north of Montreal then it can get down to -40. My personal record  was about 10 years back when there was a big dome of cold air that came much further south than usual. That weekend we had a two night stay in a remote cabin in the Chic Choc mountains. It was -36 where we started our snowshoe hike and -41 at the cabin. The next day we went up onto the plateau (600m higher) and it was windy. It was really superb, it can't have been far off -60 with the windchill. We were only out for an hour or so, it was really cold. You have to be careful though, its not the time to break an ankle. 

I know what Devon is like, I lived in Torbay for 15 years before migrating to Quebec.

It's a balmy 45ºf (7º c) today in New York City and we even have sun. That's a relief because the past week was in the 20s (-5º c) dark, overcast, and it snowed several times overnight. I guess it was too warm to snow last night because we only had a bit of sleet.

First Snow

new-york-ny-usa-the-nativity-christmas-s

Archived