How was your January?

I guess it must be my turn to start this ever-popular thread.

The new year began sluggishly for me, with only four sales for $387 gross. It wasn't a stellar month for zooms either, but 2015 is still in diapers.

On a more positive note, one of my editorial sales was for $250. I would love to see more of those in the coming months.

The month started badly with three sales and two refunds, but picked up nicely to provide a net yield of 12 sales grossing $694, my best for a while and helped considerably by one $296 sale ( It seems they still exist!).

$136 gross for me from 3 sales. Well, 2 of them were of the same image to the same newspaper. It's they liked it so much they paid twice ;)

A week or so ago, I went through a pseudo where I have my best stuff on Alamy. I'm hoping the updating I did on the keywords will help in the coming months.

1 zoom ,1 sale showing, 5 sales not showing yet are these January sales or sales when show up in account ?

Not sure what others do but I would say that sales showing in the "Summary of items sold" for January is what you should be quoting here.

Slow here, too (first two weeks were dead).  By month-end, zooms were OK-ish but views were way down (new 90-image page view default? Helps with CTR, I s'pose)

Two sales, both lower than I would like, but at least sales seem to be coming consistently every month now, and rapid QC has encouraged me to upload more frequently.  A March payout will help, too, as I remain frustratingly $3 short with a fistful waiting to clear.

Shocking month. 3 sales, all distributor, $20.83 net in total. Two of them were to the same buyer at $1.74 net each - not enough to cover my train fare to go and make the images. I find these prices unacceptable. I came out of the UK newspaper scheme to be rid of small value sales, but these are worse.

STILL not inspiring me to upload any more.

Zooms are still higher than Alamy's average (just by a bit in Jan), but so what?

Jan was a good month by 20XX standards.  5 licenses  for over $500.

Sounds odd to say but I'm seeing things improving with stock....

It would take a lot to be back at the "good old days" but I believe

Alamy is doing everything they can to get there.

I've gotten so frustrated with where stock licenses have gone down

to that I started shooting assignments again and I'm now making more

on a single portrait or headshot of an executive then I make in a month

from stock.

Like Wim, my payout will be more than my gross sales in January. Had 9 sales for $551, not a great month. But I like John Mitchell's optimism, "2015 is still in diapers".

I'll remain optimistic as long as I don't have to change them (the diapers, that is). B)

Disappointed in two small sales. (Gross $47) It seems that what I submit doesn't command the larger fees.  :(

Larger fees are becoming increasingly difficult to come across, and looking back at my rather limited range of 3 figure sales, I can detect no particular pattern. Generally these images appear competent but are by no means exceptional, my favourite shots rarely sell, and when they do, don't earn big bucks.

It's easier to predict what will sell at the lower end, and, I guess, multiple sales at newspaper prices eventually add up to a reasonable return.

4 sales for $112 gross after a very slow start to the month.

The good news is that 2 of those sales were of the same image that has sold 19 times in the last 18 months!

Just need a few more of those now........

John.

Archived