Images sold in September 2023

33 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I never heard an explanation of how or why those corrugations built up. Washboard effect is how we called them in Canada back when we had lots of dusty back-roads.They rattled your teeth at the same time as your bottom

Wikipedia? Washboarding.

wim

5 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I never heard an explanation of how or why those corrugations built up. Washboard effect is how we called them in Canada back when we had lots of dusty back-roads.They rattled your teeth at the same time as your bottom

To this day, no-one knows how they form. I think scientists tried to reproduce them in labs but failed. It's not due to cars as horse carts users were already complaining about them prior to cars. We lost an amazing number of screws this week. Even with locked and gaffer taped cupboards, some still opened and spilled their guts onto the floor. If the contents is only clothes, it's alright. But we had showers of rice, spaghetti, etc. Worst of all was maple syrup spillage...

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

To this day, no-one knows how they form. I think scientists tried to reproduce them in labs but failed. It's not due to cars as horse carts users were already complaining about them prior to cars. We lost an amazing number of screws this week. Even with locked and gaffer taped cupboards, some still opened and spilled their guts onto the floor. If the contents is only clothes, it's alright. But we had showers of rice, spaghetti, etc. Worst of all was maple syrup spillage...

I turned on the wrong road going to my daughter’s house yesterday. There is one block in that whole approach that isn’t paved and is a washboard. I knew it was there from accidentally going on it once several years ago & have avoided it since like the plague. Then there I was again, distracted by heavy traffic. I think the car wasn’t the only thing chattering. My teeth & brains were too. And I was going about 15 mph. 
Gen, I think I’d lose my mind if I had to go over a washboard for miles on end. Especially with all the goods you are hauling around. I’d fear for my camera equipment!

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I turned on the wrong road going to my daughter’s house yesterday. There is one block in that whole approach that isn’t paved and is a washboard. I knew it was there from accidentally going on it once several years ago & have avoided it since like the plague. Then there I was again, distracted by heavy traffic. I think the car wasn’t the only thing chattering. My teeth & brains were too. And I was going about 15 mph. 
Gen, I think I’d lose my mind if I had to go over a washboard for miles on end. Especially with all the goods you are hauling around. I’d fear for my camera equipment!

15mph was your problem. Ideal speed for corrugation is 70kph to fly over those. We also deflate our tyres a lot. I was also worried about my photo equipment, especially my 500mm lens but so far so good. I store one bag on the bed to amortise the shaking around. For the other two bags, I just cross fingers. We've done several thousand kms on these roads. In fact, as soon as I finish this message, we're off for 3 full days drive on one of those. The garage that replaced our wipers this morning warned us that he has rescued many vehicles from where we're going. We shall see. 

51 minutes ago, gvallee said:

September is turning into a good month. Here's another 2 sales today of the Crocodile Dundee pub again - almost mid-$$ each

Cheers  Mick Dundee 🥃

2FNBBGE.jpg

2FNBBGT.jpg

Now I am envious One of these day maybe make it here Leaving for Australia on Saturday this week but will be on the east coast 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Now I am envious One of these day maybe make it here Leaving for Australia on Saturday this week but will be on the east coast 

Enjoy! We're currently geographically in the opposite direction in WA. I can't say on the coast because we're in the Bush, in the spirit of this pub 😁

It is such a weird feeling to be writing this from the wilderness, camped by a dry creek with a glass of wine, cattle mooing in the distance. It's so hot but we like it. Starlink is a godsend.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2

Kenco 100% Peruvian Bold & Full Bodied instant coffee. 

Kenco 100% Peruvian Bold & Full Bodied instant coffee. Stock Photo

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 18 September 2023
Duration: In perpetuity

This is the one that sold yesterday.

Anglia Ruskin University East Road Cambridge Cambridgeshire England

anglia-ruskin-university-east-road-cambr

Usage: Editorial, For editorial use on social media and digital platforms produced by Bauer Media Radio. Customer Marketing: - Internal publication services - “In house” produced marketing.

Media: Website, app and social media

Duration: Unlimited

$

I hate sales to Bauer Media Radio. So far they are very low prices.

Allan

• Love 1

Shoppers walking through Touchwood shopping centre, Solihull 

A 2019 image; looks like I need to expand the caption. Also, with reference to other threads, an image with people in (although over half the images I sell are without people in).

shoppers-walking-through-touchwood-shopp

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

At last a cat picture.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/CMTA24/cat-shaped-funerary-urn-in-the-chilean-museum-for-pre-columbian-art-CMTA24.jpg

PU very low $$

Pre-Columbian funerary urn. So they had domestic cats in Latin America prior to Columbus.

wim

Probably not the domestic cat, Felix cattus.   I knew a Nicaraguan photographer who said an ocelot was his best pet ever.   Mesoamerica also has a number of smaller wild cats: margay, jaguarundi , and at least one small spotted cat that kills chickens.   Jaguars were prominent in Mesoamerican mythology.   Chinese also did some earlier domestication attempts with their leopard cats, the same species that's crossed with domestic cats for Bengal Cats.  Some one on Quara said that Columbus's voyagers saw people with what were probably jaguarundis (tge size of a Maine Coon cat, but more elongated, with a thick tail, several color morphs).   People often tame any number of creatures.  Ocelots have rather fierce loves for their one human and don't do well being left alone.  Margays and ocelots were sold in pet stores in the US when I was a child (over 60 years ago).   Some people are breeding those two species for exotic cat fanciers, don't know the regulations in the US on those now.  Domestic/Exotic hybrids are popular in some circles.  

• Love 1

5 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Choughs foraging in rotting seaweed after a storm. Rare in UK but still fairly common (thankfully) here in Ireland. Small $.

red-billed-chough-pyrrhocorax-pyrrhocora

Lovely photo. I've only seen choughs a couple of times, and didn't realise they were doing well in Ireland.

Croatian website for $. A juvenile adder.

baby-adder-vipera-berus-in-hampshire-cou

Presentation, normal US price of low $$.

I took this rather poor quality photo of a colleague almost 40 years ago when I worked as a molecular biologist, and decided to upload as archival as it could be of historic interest, so glad to see a license.

scientist-working-in-a-biochemistry-lab-

• Love 1
  • Like 2

A very modest low $$ but taken on my venerable  X100 way back in October 2011 just a few months after I bought it (still going strong).

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.
Duration: In perpetuity

The Pont de Normandie cable stayed bridge over the River Seine at Honfleur, Normandy, France Stock Photo

• Like 2