Your stock predictions for 2023

2 hours ago, mickfly said:

Is there a new breed of picture editor in our UK local newspaper titles who just grab any old picture with the main keyword in it from stock agencies... or just lift the images off social media, because the quality of imagary being used has gone right down the pan?

I have alerts set up for some of my main subject keywords and I'm seeing low quality, very old pictures being used to illustrate current stories.

So, my prediction is that quality will no longer count for much in general stock photography and with prices of a few cents for some shots it will be pointless (in general) to spend hours editing, so a quick fix of the black and white points and composition will suffice.

The future for stock, for me?

My highest sales this last year have been video clips... elsewhere.

It is not a new breed of picture editor, it is cost cutting.  For a short while I was mentored by the chief photographer of our local paper.  Then they made all staff photographers redundant.  After that a freelance acquaintance of mine used to cover stories.  The local paper would not buy my photos, but occasionally asked to use them for free, but I declined.  Just before Christmas my acquaintance was told that there was no budget for freelancers.  The paper, part of the Reach Group was going to rely on reporters and locals camera phone pictures and of course Google maps!  I have noticed they also rely on handout photographs from the police, fire service etc…

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

In my opinion many photographers are moving to the NFT market.
Many are not accepting the photographs generated by Artificial Intelligence for legal reasons.
Stock agency prices dropped a lot, photos sold at $0.07!!!
You can start thinking about NFT, but I believe this market started with a high standard of photography.
Lots of changes, that's the price of the digital world, everything happens very quickly

1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

It is not a new breed of picture editor, it is cost cutting.  For a short while I was mentored by the chief photographer of our local paper.  Then they made all staff photographers redundant.  After that a freelance acquaintance of mine used to cover stories.  The local paper would not buy my photos, but occasionally asked to use them for free, but I declined.  Just before Christmas my acquaintance was told that there was no budget for freelancers.  The paper, part of the Reach Group was going to rely on reporters and locals camera phone pictures and of course Google maps!  I have noticed they also rely on handout photographs from the police, fire service etc…

Thankfully my local papers still use freelancers, only 1 carries a few staffers and I've learnt not to bother contributing on that event as they always use the staffers images. I have about 4 local publications which regularly take images, just checking my data base shows the last 2 years gave me just under 10,000 Euro Net total, so well worth the effort. As for Alamy its just a vehicle for live news most of the time. The odd stock image gets uploaded but for me spending the time editing, etc then seeing it licenced for cents to be paid sometime down the track, I'm afraid got better things to do. Each to their own of course.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

The Washington Post, one of the largest and most read newspapers in the U.S., just killed their Sunday magazine to cut costs.  Newspapers are cutting costs every which way they can, all while charging more to subscribe.  Many of the smaller papers have folded.  The Washington Post used to use a fair amount of Alamy photos but now rarely do, opting instead for cheaper options (micros). 

On 30/12/2022 at 21:31, John Mitchell said:

My crystal ball is pretty cloudy these days, especially when it comes to the stock photography industry. However, one prediction that I'm willing to make is that stock agencies -- including Alamy most likely -- are going to embrace AI-generated content in a big way. What this will mean for contributors, I'm not sure.

What are your predictions for where stock photography is headed (on Alamy and/or in general) in 2023?

AI generated content right now is still generally crappy, with some good stuff, but a whole lot of bad stuff.  Once is gets better (and it will) customers will simply go to AI sites and generate their own images.  It's fast and cheap.  Why bother hunting at agencies?  Still a bit away, but is coming.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Thanks 1

On 31/12/2022 at 13:45, Michael Ventura said:

If my sales figures for 2022 is any indicator of the future, I had the 2nd best year, just shy of last year, in terms of number of sales, but the 2nd worst year, since I started here in 2005, in terms of revenue.  That does not paint a very rosy picture, for me at least.  More like a withering cactus. 

Much the same for me ..

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I went through an archival box of clippings - newspaper and magazine - of articles I've written and photos I've taken, often both from 2000-2015. There were clippings from 20+ local magazines and newspapers in that batch (and a couple of national magazines). There used to be 7 local parenting magazines I wrote & shot for (local being NYC and Westchester Co. NY). Only one is left and they no longer pay for content and I no longer contribute. Two local magazines are left - one pays about half what it used to, and the other 1/10th. I used to get $500-750 for an article with the latter, more for pix, until they were bought out by a local newspaper group some time ago, at which point they wanted to pay $75 for an article complete with photos. Nope. Of the twelve local newspapers, one, owned by Gannett, is left. One of the others, a regional daily which also printed 2 magazines a month, was owned by Gannett, and folded some time ago. It was nostalgic and rather depressing. I ended up just recycling most of it, only keeping my favorites including some kid-centered articles in which my daughter &/or her friends were involved. I started writing for local parenting publications because it usually let me "take my daughter to work." Lucky they were around at the time. They never paid that much but enough to make it worthwhile and it often got me special access to fun things to do with my daughter. 

I have a friend at the Cape Cod Times, owned by the Wall Street Journal now, I think, and way back when, when they were independent, she used to get me gigs writing about NYC travel, but they stopped using freelancers a long time ago when they became part of a large group.

I've had images licensed here run 15-20 different newspapers across the US - all the same article from Texas to upstate NY- and that's what they do these days, rely on syndicated content to fill more and more of their pages. 

Giving away intellectual property for free on the Internet was how it all started. Who thought it was a good idea for people to expect that everything online would be free? Once it's free, people resent a paywall and it just goes downhill. I pay for the NYTimes (online/weekend delivery - my husband likes it - I read it all online, but the magazine is a sliver instead of the nice thick one it would take all week to read. ) I had a subscription to the Washington Post (online) for the past 5 years, mostly to support professional journalism in this age of misinformation, though I recently dropped WaPo when I switched to Apple News - our entire family can legally share the subscription and read dozens of magazines  & newspapers for $9.99/mo. Still subscribe to the Times (much more costly). I read The Guardian for free and refuse to "contribute" figuring they got my pix quite cheaply, though I am tempted at times. It's worrying to me that real journalism is a dying art. 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 02:31, John Mitchell said:

What are your predictions for where stock photography is headed (on Alamy and/or in general) in 2023?

Could it be heading for the abyssal plain?

From what I've seen, even those in the artificial intelligence market have no idea where this market can reach.
As for Stock companies, I believe they will end up accepting this type of content.
What can happen.... a lot of offer and with that prices will drop even more.
A child today can make any image with this feature.
The question is the following: for us photographers is it worth producing content for companies or are we going to turn to artificial intelligence?
Health to all and let's be happy

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 13:13, Jose Decio Molaro said:

From what I've seen, even those in the artificial intelligence market have no idea where this market can reach.
As for Stock companies, I believe they will end up accepting this type of content.
What can happen.... a lot of offer and with that prices will drop even more.
A child today can make any image with this feature.
The question is the following: for us photographers is it worth producing content for companies or are we going to turn to artificial intelligence?
Health to all and let's be happy

My emphasis.
Alamy are already accepting it. 

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/1146989.html

• Thanks 1

I've just asked ChatGPT to do some writing for me for me and I must admit that I am impressed with the results. A Google engineer has even claimed (he was later put on leave or sacked) that Chatbot AI was now sentient. I think we are all well and truly *****d!

I tried many times to produce an image of a Ukranian soldier firing a bazooka at a Russian tank in winter using DALL-E.  Laughable results that are not fixable with tweaks in photoshop.  Nothing I would upload to any stock site.  We've got a ways to go before we're replaced by robots.

17 minutes ago, Martin L said:

We're all doomed, Mr Mainwaring

Ai Photo Wins Comp

The first thing that I noticed in that image was that the waves were vertical not horizontal. I don't know how anyone could mistake that as a photograph.

Having said that, you're probably right, we're all doomed🥺

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

The first thing that I noticed in that image was that the waves were vertical not horizontal. I don't know how anyone could mistake that as a photograph.

Having said that, you're probably right, we're all doomed🥺

Well, photography is doomed. Actually, it has been since Photoshop came along IMO.

The winning two surfers image does absolutely nothing for me. I find it garish and visually confusing.

But then I'm old and boring. 👴

Episode 5 Grandpa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Well, photography is doomed. Actually, it has been since Photoshop came along IMO.

The winning two surfers image does absolutely nothing for me. I find it garish and visually confusing.

But then I'm old and boring. 👴

On 11/02/2023 at 00:48, mickfly said:

My emphasis.
Alamy are already accepting it. 

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/1146989.html

All of these photos look like Manga characters and I don't buy the idea behind that at all...Not to mention the captions, as well!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov