Not photography related

Allan Bell

Question

unless you are stuck in a cold office processing images on a computer.

Brrr! It's flippin' cold today. Anyone put their central heating on yet?

Alamy staff can join in on this one as well.

Allan

No central heating on yet, but I have fuel for the woodburner and a new box of firelighters. So... any day now...

I have 'invested' in a couple of 'smart plugs'. One of them controls my electric blanket.

All I have to do is say "Alexa... warm up my bed for me" half an hour before I go 'up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire'...

• Love 1

A/C still turned on here in central Texas but not kicking on very often.

We've turned the corner from our typical hot summer temps to cooler fall ones - early morning lows hi 50s to mid 60s F.  Daytime hi 80s-lo 90s F

In Liverpool, on the River Mersey, near the Irish Sea, I have the warmest duvet and I turn on the heat for an hour (green 3 to red 4) when I get breakfast in the early AM. So far, I consider this a mild climate -- never too hot or cold. Next to NHS and the friendly people, I consider the climate a big reason to like living here.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Overnight low was 61F. I have a sweatshirt on, but turned the heat on just long enough to take the chill off for my shower. It’s college football time in the US and I’ll go get a Casey’s pizza to eat before my team kicks off at 2:30. The excitement of the game will keep me plenty warm.

We started off with light rain this morning but the sun is peaking through from time to time, now. I love autumn.

I have given in. Outside temperature is around 12c here now but was colder during the day. Set CH just to take the edge off.

Allan

Sat here with all the layers on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s college football time in the US and I’ll go get a Casey’s pizza to eat before my team kicks off at 2:30.

Which school is your team and why?...just curious.  I have never followed college ball much did watch some of the Navy games while my two nephews were at the academy.  They didn't play but had lots of friends and a roommate or two who did play.

On 02/10/2021 at 17:44, Michael Ventura said:

Which school is your team and why?...just curious.  I have never followed college ball much did watch some of the Navy games while my two nephews were at the academy.  They didn't play but had lots of friends and a roommate or two who did play.

Michael, are you a Nationals fan?  I'm rooting for them today as they are beating the Red Sox. My Blue Jays are thumping the Orioles so if the Nationals keep it up it would be a tie with Boston for the 1st or 2nd wild card spot.  Could be a tie with 3 if the Yankees lose to Tampa Bay.  Great baseball final day.

Jill

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Michael, I was born, bred and lived in Oklahoma my whole life, except the 3 1/2 years around Air Force bases, and now 3 1/2 years in Kansas.   I’ve followed Oklahoma University football forever, (OU) and we had season tickets from 2000-2010. I gave them up because of my husband’s declining mental condition, dementia. The cost of the tickets kept going up and Bob couldn’t follow what was happening anymore.  
I don’t miss a game on television, take them seriously and agonize over them.  I usually watch a few others on Saturday.

always look forward to September each year.

I’ve always been a mix of tomboy and girly-girl. Growing up climbing trees, riding bikes, running track, playing softball and such while playing with dolls and toy dishes, learning to bake and reading, reading, reading.  As an adult, golfing, riding horses, skiing (water & snow) and fishing. While writing, painting, designing & making jewelry and nicely decorating our home and raising three kids.

I can make a mean pie or cobbler, also. 😉 my interests are vast, sports being one. You either have a passion for college football or you don’t. It can’t be forced, it’s just there. Most often it is stirred by living in a state where football is King. I don’t think it is so much in the eastern states compared to especially the Midwest and southern states. Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio, Nebraska and a few others live and breathe football.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, I was born, bred and lived in Oklahoma my whole life, except the 3 1/2 years around Air Force bases, and now 3 1/2 years in Kansas.   I’ve followed Oklahoma University football forever, (OU) and we had season tickets from 2000-2010. I gave them up because of my husband’s declining mental condition, dementia. The cost of the tickets kept going up and Bob couldn’t follow what was happening anymore.  
I don’t miss a game on television, take them seriously and agonize over them.  I usually watch a few others on Saturday.

always look forward to September each year.

I’ve always been a mix of tomboy and girly-girl. Growing up climbing trees, riding bikes, running track, playing softball and such while playing with dolls and toy dishes, learning to bake and reading, reading, reading.  As an adult, golfing, riding horses, skiing (water & snow) and fishing. While writing, painting, designing & making jewelry and nicely decorating our home and raising three kids.

I can make a mean pie or cobbler, also. 😉 my interests are vast, sports being one. You either have a passion for college football or you don’t. It can’t be forced, it’s just there. Most often it is stirred by living in a state where football is King. I don’t think it is so much in the eastern states compared to especially the Midwest and southern states. Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio, Nebraska and a few others live and breathe football.

Yes, I know college ball is huge in the Mid-West and thru the South, probably much more so than pro football.  I usually watch a game or two of pro ball on Sundays, tho I am not a super fan of any one team, I just enjoy the art of the game.  I also enjoy watching soccer of any kind….the women’s World Cup especially.

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Michael, are you a Nationals fan?  I'm rooting for them today as they are beating the Red Sox. My Blue Jays are thumping the Orioles so if the Nationals keep it up it would be a tie with Boston for the 1st or 2nd wild card spot.  Could be a tie with 3 if the Yankees lose to Tampa Bay.  Great baseball final day.

Jill

Go Nats!

wim

On 02/10/2021 at 12:16, Allan Bell said:

unless you are stuck in a cold office processing images on a computer.

Brrr! It's flippin' cold today. Anyone put their central heating on yet?

Yes. But only for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the evening. Today was relatively warm so the thermostat did not kick in for the evening shift. We try to be out and about during the day, but the forecast for Tuesday is for wall to wall rain. 

On 02/10/2021 at 12:30, John Morrison said:

All I have to do is say "Alexa... warm up my bed for me" half an hour before I go 'up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire'...

Good heavens, an actual real use for Alexa. Maybe I should have one after all.

I flatly refuse to give energy companies my money before October, but yes on Oct 1st the heating went on. Mind you, I had just arrived home after a week away and was feeling low from the after-effects of toothache. Otherwise I would have probably have just put an extra jumper on.

Alan

Seems to have warmed up a bit so CH turned off again. Not putting it on the timer just switch on and off when I feel the need.

Allan