Not photography related

Allan Bell

Question

unless you are stuck in a cold office processing images on a computer.

Brrr! It's flippin' cold today. Anyone put their central heating on yet?

Alamy staff can join in on this one as well.

Allan

9 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Good heavens, an actual real use for Alexa. Maybe I should have one after all.

I flatly refuse to give energy companies my money before October, but yes on Oct 1st the heating went on. Mind you, I had just arrived home after a week away and was feeling low from the after-effects of toothache. Otherwise I would have probably have just put an extra jumper on.

Alan

Alexa is wonderful for music. I can ask for songs from a particular artist, or a genre, or even for a particular year to decade.

”Alexa, play popular songs from the 80s” or “Alexa, play Willie Nelson”. Or whatever. I can ask for a particular song, too.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, yet another gizmo we can't live without? I have Siri. She (it?)never knows the answer to anything I ask her. 

Of the gizmos and gadgets I own, I could easily do without an Alexa.  I only got one after my daughter pressured me to get one while she was living with me.  She now has her own, not sure how much she uses hers but sometimes we talk on the phone after a nightshift at the hospital and she will get in bed and say "Alexa, turn out the lights" (she has a bunch of "smart" plugs for her lighting).  I guess turning off a bedside light it too much to do by hand now. 😄

• Love 1

I could do without Alexa, as well. My youngest daughter gave "her" to me as a gift and I have it set up to turn my reading light on/off, making it easier to get out of my living room without tripping over something in the dark. Nice to have, but I really don’t need it. My oldest daughter gave me a doorbell camera for Christmas and it took me months before I’d agree to connect the thing. I’ve actually become a bit fond of it now and have found it somewhat useful. 

• Love 1

I got Alexa for one reason. When living in Oklahoma City, I listened to a particular sports radio. Not all day, but it was on a couple of hours in the morning, sometimes an hour or two in the afternoon especially during football season as I went about my tasks, whether working on photos, doing laundry, whatever. I kept up with my football team and players.

I can’t tell you how many times a repairman or installer would come in the house, hear what was playing,  turn with raised eyebrows and say, “YOU listen to sports radio???” What is it with men who think women can’t be interested in sports?

When I moved to Wichita, I couldn’t get my “Sports Animal” station anymore. It was hard enough to need to learn my way around a new town, get new doctors and deal with my husband’s problems during a time when stress was causing me to become very ill, susceptible to a very nasty infection.  But I couldn’t even listen to my sports radio. Sports in Kansas doesn’t begin to compare with Oklahoma. Just like the news and weather. Kind of stinks. I was a fish out of water.

My sister had Alexa, and she told me I could get my sports radio station on it. I couldn’t order it fast enough. I have one in the finished basement, one in my office, and one in the living room. It’s good for more than sports.  I never set my clock radio alarm anymore. I just tell Alexa to set the alarm to a particular music artist at whatever time, and I am awakened to music on the days I have morning appointments. I don’t have to jump up and shut it off, I just say, “Alexa, stop”, while still cozy in bed.

I also have an Oldies country music station I listen to, and when I leave the house, I tell Alexa to play “bird sounds” and all these wild bird songs keeps Echo company. She whistles back to it.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I leave the house, I tell Alexa to play “bird sounds” and all these wild bird songs keeps Echo company. She whistles back to it.

When I'm writing I get Alexa to play sounds of the seashore: waves lapping against a pebble beach. Very relaxing... and helps me concentrate.

Anyone with Alexa... tell her to "Act like a teenager"...  🙂

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I never set my clock radio alarm anymore. I just tell Alexa to set the alarm to a particular music artist at whatever time, and I am awakened to music on the days I have morning appointments. I don’t have to jump up and shut it off, I just say, “Alexa, stop”, while still cozy in bed.

And promptly go back to sleep.

Allan

I like the way this thread has morphed keep it up please it is fun.

The conversation about Alexa is making me think I ought to have one     BUT   can she tell you what flower/plant is in the photo you show her?🤪

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

On 02/10/2021 at 12:16, Allan Bell said:

unless you are stuck in a cold office processing images on a computer.

Brrr! It's flippin' cold today. Anyone put their central heating on yet?

Alamy staff can join in on this one as well.

Allan

My missus turns on the heating at the drop of a hat, but I just put a jumper on...

I have 3 butterflies in my butterfly cage. It’s very nippy this morning, 51F. But it’s supposed to get in the low 80s this afternoon. I’ll release them when it warms up a bit. I released two yesterday, but these 3 emerged too late in the day and needed wing-drying time.  
They are beating their wings in time to the music Alexa is playing this morning. 😉 who knew Monarch butterflies like music?

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, yet another gizmo we can't live without? I have Siri. She (it?)never knows the answer to anything I ask her. 

I have Siri too but never have spoken to her. Maybe that is why my computer is sulking.

Allan

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

who knew Monarch butterflies like music?

They're itching to take to the skies and head south   The Monarch's annual fall migration to Mexico is reported to be running early this year due to a strong early cold front a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Phil

After investigating Alexa I don't think I'll bother.  More costs and never having had one won't miss it anyway.

I'm with you Edo, anything for a peaceful life.

Allan

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Ah but Alexa would have reminded you😀

If I were a cat, I'd think twice before stepping into one of those robot litter contraptions. Also, they cost almost $1000.

Perhaps we need to rethink (again) this whole consumer society thing... 🙄

27 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Perhaps we need to rethink (again) this whole consumer society thing... 🙄

Been there, done that, couldn't afford didn't need the T-shirt.

Last new mobile phone? 2006. Computer? 1981. Camera? 2009. Car (used)? 1999.

Edited by spacecadet

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Speaking of gadgets, I was thinking of getting a robot cat-litter box, but then I remembered that I don't have a cat. 😹

I've got one of these that feeds the wild hedgehogs with dry kibbles whilst we're away, but that's currently the limit of our "smart" home devices.

https://reviewaffi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Automatic-Pet-Feeder-Pet-Food-Dispenser-by-Roffie-768x746.png

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

5 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I've got one of these that feeds the wild hedgehogs with dry kibbles whilst we're away, but that's currently the limit of our "smart" home devices.

https://reviewaffi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Automatic-Pet-Feeder-Pet-Food-Dispenser-by-Roffie-768x746.png

Mark

I've got something like that. It's called Matthew.

🦔

Edited by Mr Standfast
Spelling

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

I got a "Forbidden" message when I clicked on the link. We don't have hedgehogs in Vancouver AFAIK, so that might be the problem. 🦔