Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

24 minutes ago, sb photos said:

With the £ recently falling against the $ our monthly payments will likely be a little less.

It's the other way round. Sales are quoted in dollars. Your dollars buy you more Pounds these days.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

It's the other way round. Sales are quoted in dollars. Your dollars buy you more Pounds these days.

Indeed, great news for sales already struck, but I guess that the UK press will want to be paying less $ in future ?

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

but UK buyers have a UK rate, and that's about 40% of Alamy's business, so when converted in US dollar that's less and less everyday.  I am seeing it with the penny UKweb sales, the last one was at $1.20 , where it was 1.40-1.50 not that long ago.

Florida is being hammered by the latest hurricane. My granddaughter lives there. But she’s lucky to be on the east side since the hurricane is hitting the west side. All of Florida will feel it to some extent or another. Offshoots of the hurricane are tornadoes, and my granddaughter had two separate tornado warnings overnight.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

but UK buyers have a UK rate, and that's about 40% of Alamy's business, so when converted in US dollar that's less and less everyday.  I am seeing it with the penny UKweb sales, the last one was at $1.20 , where it was 1.40-1.50 not that long ago.

Ha true enough for UK buyers. Luckily, most of my sales are to Australian buyers and I'm paid in Pounds in the UK. The FX rate will be in my favour. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Ha true enough for UK buyers. Luckily, most of my sales are to Australian buyers and I'm paid in Pounds in the UK. The FX rate will be in my favour. 

my bigger sales are North American, so little impact on me, but it's been irritating to see these already ridiculously low amounts, one biblesque regurgitator seems to have been doing a few Canada based stories ,  get smaller and smaller when expressed in US$ 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

On 28/09/2022 at 22:07, Betty LaRue said:

Florida is being hammered by the latest hurricane. My granddaughter lives there. But she’s lucky to be on the east side since the hurricane is hitting the west side. All of Florida will feel it to some extent or another. Offshoots of the hurricane are tornadoes, and my granddaughter had two separate tornado warnings overnight.

Was going to use the unhappy icon in response to this, but it seems to have disappeared ! May be they think I'm unhappy enough without further encouragement !

There are some dramatic photos in the Times today, boats deposited in streets, aircraft blown over etc.

Hope you granddaughter is OK !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Was going to use the unhappy icon in response to this, but it seems to have disappeared ! May be they think I'm unhappy enough without further encouragement !

There are some dramatic photos in the Times today, boats deposited in streets, aircraft blown over etc.

She is ok. Lots of rain but didn’t lose power.

• Love 1

On 30/09/2022 at 19:02, Bryan said:

😧 How about this one in the "Smilies".

Allan

So the records (not the greatest) for sales, zooms etc. for September are wiped and I’m back to zero sales, zero zooms and zero CTR to kick off October. Zooms have been almost non existent since Alamy mucked things about a few months back.

I didn’t think my pictures, captions and keywords were that bad. Yes, I have some c**p in there but doesn’t everyone? Guess I’ll have to trawl back over caps and kw’s and maybe cull some poor pictures.

Got that off my chest. Wingeing over.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I didn’t think my pictures, captions and keywords were that bad. Yes, I have some c**p in there but doesn’t everyone? Guess I’ll have to trawl back over caps and kw’s and maybe cull some poor pictures.

Got that off my chest. Wingeing over.

Sounds like a good plan, maybe I should do the same !

Now on to my Bad Thing. We were booked onto a four day coach trip visiting places on the east coast of Scotland north of Edinburgh, later this month, but we've received an email saying that it has been cancelled as there were insufficient folk to justify running the trip. Plan B, it looks like I'm going to have to drive up there, not a happy prospect. 

Edited by Bryan

5 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I had 2 personal use sales yesterday, and both have already been refunded. They were photos of places not objects. The "buyer" now has free use of 2 images 😒

I really would like to put a "sad" emoji now...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I finally saw the results of the MRI of my neck. Eeeeek. It looks ghastly though the symptoms that caused me to get the MRI have diminished to almost nothing. My doctor summarized by saying I have arthritis and stenosis. He is sending me to a neuro-surgeon and I have an appointment on Nov. 3. Meanwhile, I have made an appointment with a physical therapist for next Wednesday. She is supposed to be excellent and will do an assessment to start. I certainly hope I won't need surgery. Anyway, I know it's important to address these things.

Paulette

• Love 1

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I finally saw the results of the MRI of my neck. Eeeeek. It looks ghastly though the symptoms that caused me to get the MRI have diminished to almost nothing. My doctor summarized by saying I have arthritis and stenosis. He is sending me to a neuro-surgeon and I have an appointment on Nov. 3. Meanwhile, I have made an appointment with a physical therapist for next Wednesday. She is supposed to be excellent and will do an assessment to start. I certainly hope I won't need surgery. Anyway, I know it's important to address these things.

Paulette

Good luck. Yes, it is important to address with a neurosurgeon to know just where you stand.  Best outcome would be if you could avoid it with a good results through physical therapy, but if you can’t, I’m sure you’ll be in capable hands. A bad neck is miserable to live with. If yours feels better now, you might get by fine. There are things to avoid that trigger neck pain, like doing things with your arms over your head, or lifting things too heavy. Also avoid leaning over from the waist for any prolonged time which puts all the weight of your head wrongly to your neck. I have to keep my head straight over my neck and spine and I'm getting along ok.  I gave up playing golf after my whiplash injury because leaning over the ball before striking it hurt. You will know when the time comes to do something.
My sister had neck surgery and it helped her a lot for years. She also had stenosis, and other things. She had a fusion. The worst for you is that you live alone. My sis had a husband who helped right after for a week, then she managed. 
My daughter just had an MRI of her neck…since she’s having numbness and tingling in one arm, surgery could be in her future. But right now, she’s scheduled for back surgery right after Christmas. The auto wreck she had really messed her up.

They can do steroid injections that can help, usually a set of three injections each spaced about 3 months apart. Sometimes that gives a lot of relief, sometimes not. They helped my sis a bunch, not so my daughter.

Yesterday I attended the funeral and wake of an old friend. Both were very well attended. I caught up with friends that went back as far as the 1970's, many I hadn't seen for some time. He was 2 years younger than me, and had no underlying health issues until diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a little over 3 months ago. Previously the last funeral I attended was that of an aunt in Cockfosters, London, then just a small group of us only cautiously mixing graveside due to Covid.

14 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Yesterday I attended the funeral and wake of an old friend. Both were very well attended. I caught up with friends that went back as far as the 1970's, many I hadn't seen for some time. He was 2 years younger than me, and had no underlying health issues until diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a little over 3 months ago. Previously the last funeral I attended was that of an aunt in Cockfosters, London, then just a small group of us only cautiously mixing graveside due to Covid.

In the normal way of things your first attendance at a funeral is for that of your grandparents, followed by parents, aunts and uncles. I still have an elderly aunt but the cousins have started to go, two quite a bit younger than myself. Staying on this positive theme I have started to choose the music for my own demise, and wonder if Here Comes The Sun is a little too naff for the end of service? The Parting Glass is an old favourite, while The Lark Ascending may well feature. 

What would your choices be?

37 minutes ago, Bryan said:

In the normal way of things your first attendance at a funeral is for that of your grandparents, followed by parents, aunts and uncles. I still have an elderly aunt but the cousins have started to go, two quite a bit younger than myself. Staying on this positive theme I have started to choose the music for my own demise, and wonder if Here Comes The Sun is a little too naff for the end of service? The Parting Glass is an old favourite, while The Lark Ascending may well feature. 

What would your choices be?

My dad chose ‘Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye’ sung by Gracie Fields. Hilarious finish to the service. He had a wry sense of humour. 

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic