Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

As an American expat living in England now for the second time, I want to say that I’ve had the utmost admiration and respect for Queen Elizabeth II. She was an amazing person who performed as monarch for more than 7 decades. I am deeply honoured to have been a guest in this nation under her reign.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I feel grief for the Queen’s loss. I’ve always admired her. Her smile, her grace, her love of family. I always took in the beauty of her fashion style. She was a small person , at least in her later years, and her favored late hat style was meant to give her a bit more stature.  She wore them with aplomb. Queen Elizabeth will be missed, even across the pond.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

When I was a kid I used to volunteer doing nature trails and stuff on the Sandringham estate. If Queenie drove past, she would always stop for a chat. Really pleasent.

She was often on her own in her Landrover but curiously when she moved off so did a lot of bushes.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Following the sad passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II, as a mark of respect we will be postponing this year's show due to be held tomorrow, 10th September 2022. This announcement relates to the Abingdon Air and Country Show that was to be held fairly close to me.  I suspect many UK events will have been cancelled. If you were planning to photograph UK events over the coming week best to check before travelling.

From tomorrow I could well be tied up for 2 weeks undertaking jury service. Could do without that at present. I have already delayed it from last September. Still, it may have an interesting side observing the English justice system at work.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

On 11/09/2022 at 10:09, sb photos said:

From tomorrow I could well be tied up for 2 weeks undertaking jury service. Could do without that at present. I have already delayed it from last September. Still, it may have an interesting side observing the English justice system at work.

I did it quite a few years ago. The cases were interesting, but the hanging around not so. Disappointed with the attitude of a minority of my fellow jurors who clearly didn't want to be there and were only interested in bringing things to a rapid conclusion.

The trusty local repair man was unable to fix my Sony RX100 V.  After a bit of research I identified the three official Sony repair labs all many miles  away. Chose one and sent the camera registered post, now waiting to hear from them. The camera was bought used and it's not a guarantee issue, I dropped it and it ceased to work. Assuming they can fix it, I am expecting a big bill.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I did it quite a few years ago. The cases were interesting, but the hanging around not so. Disappointed with the attitude of a minority of my fellow jurors who clearly didn't want to be there and were only interested in bringing things to a rapid conclusion.

The security checks when entering the court are a pain. I now allow more time. I set off the metal detector due to my left hip replacement. I then have to spend minutes having the wand waved around me. I explained that the titanium in my hip replacement sometimes causes issues, and the next day with the same security person I have to go through the same procedure, and likely will have to for the remaining 8 days. While this is happening the incoming queue goes out of the entrance door. I have a hospital supplied card stating I had a hip replacement, but nobody wants to see it here or at airports, was a waste of time. At least I didn't have to take my belt and shoes off.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

The trusty local repair man was unable to fix my Sony RX100 V.  After a bit of research I identified the three official Sony repair labs all many miles  away. Chose one and sent the camera registered post, now waiting to hear from them. The camera was bought used and it's not a guarantee issue, I dropped it and it ceased to work. Assuming they can fix it, I am expecting a big bill.

I have previously read that even sensor dust removal at a Sony authorised repair centre can cost more than earlier RX100's are worth. At least with dust issues which surprising can happen there are Youtube walk throughs on how dismantle and do the job yourself. Unfortunately you have no option other than the path you've taken. Hope the quote ends up viable. I've been lucky with my RX100, when carrying it I have the attached loop around my wrist and the tiny grip I added makes holding it more secure.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I have previously read that even sensor dust removal at a Sony authorised repair centre can cost more than earlier RX100's are worth. At least with dust issues which surprising can happen there are Youtube walk throughs on how dismantle and do the job yourself. Unfortunately you have no option other than the path you've taken. Hope the quote ends up viable. I've been lucky with my RX100, when carrying it I have the attached loop around my wrist and the tiny grip I added makes holding it more secure.

Mine fell from within my bicycle pannier, which I had failed to fasten securely. Getting older but not much wiser !

No help to Bryan and his Sony but Fuji have a fixed price list for repairs to their cameras and lenses, the price includes parts, labour & VAT, all apparently undertaken at their repair centre in Bedford:

https://repairs.fujifilm.eu/en/pricing/

I've not tried it however, in fact I emailed them from the 'Contact us' on that page a couple of months ago and didn't get a response. I might try registering the camera and have another go.

I always thought I had a good diet and had plenty of exercise so was very surprised when I received a letter from my doctor after some blood tests saying I needed to reduce the non-HDL cholesterol by 40% from 3.4% to 2.4% in the next three months or I was risking developing heart disease or having a stroke over the next 10 years and if I could not bring it down they would offer statins.

One of my neighbours takes "Statins" and gave me the leaflet, which comes in the box, to read.  YEUCK! It was very scary.

So the last couple of days I have been checking the food I have been eating and my general lifestyle regime. Looking at the contents and the "traffic light system" on packaging.

I now see where I can make improvements and change my diet also eating less. I did not realise that I had been consuming some foods that were meant to be two servings as one meal so am reducing consumption of them. Also I am upping my exercise regime.

One of my exercise regime points is to spend less time in front of the computer.

That is my bad news. Hopefully caught in time.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

No help to Bryan and his Sony but Fuji have a fixed price list for repairs to their cameras and lenses, the price includes parts, labour & VAT, all apparently undertaken at their repair centre in Bedford:

I've not tried it however, in fact I emailed them from the 'Contact us' on that page a couple of months ago and didn't get a response. I might try registering the camera and have another go.

I used to have Fujifilm X-T1 and some lenses. I had occasion to return a lens, can't remember which one it was, for work to be done under warranty. When it came back it was even worse. There was a protracted to-ing and fro-ing of the lens and letters to the Japanese MD at the facility for some time until they eventually replaced it with a new one. The new lens was better but not much so I sold it on. The upshot is that it was quite upsetting that the service was not the best.

Things mat have changed for the better now I hope.

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The upshot is that it was quite upsetting that the service was not the best.

Thanks for that, interesting. I've only once had to contact Fuji for a repair and that was back in 2012/13 for my X100. I'd bought it secondhand from someone who decided he needed a Leica M8 instead, no signs of use. After a while it developed a well known and well-publicised fault for that very early X100 - sticky aperture blades - SAB - so common it had an acronym. This was 2013 and it was out of warranty and anyway it was secondhand. I wrote Fuji a letter explaining all this to them and sent the camera off. Before very long it came back, probably with a brand new lens assembly I imagine, and no charge. I was very pleased of course and I'm still using it. So my experience so far has been good.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I always thought I had a good diet and had plenty of exercise so was very surprised when I received a letter from my doctor after some blood tests saying I needed to reduce the non-HDL cholesterol by 40% from 3.4% to 2.4% in the next three months or I was risking developing heart disease or having a stroke over the next 10 years and if I could not bring it down they would offer statins.

One of my neighbours takes "Statins" and gave me the leaflet, which comes in the box, to read.  YEUCK! It was very scary.

So the last couple of days I have been checking the food I have been eating and my general lifestyle regime. Looking at the contents and the "traffic light system" on packaging.

I now see where I can make improvements and change my diet also eating less. I did not realise that I had been consuming some foods that were meant to be two servings as one meal so am reducing consumption of them. Also I am upping my exercise regime.

One of my exercise regime points is to spend less time in front of the computer.

That is my bad news. Hopefully caught in time.

Allan

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, Allan. For what it's worth, I've been taking the lowest dose of a statin for probably 20 years. No issues with it. When a friend and I were being treated for cancer we decided to just stop reading the "possible side effects". They always sound very, very dire. Mind you I am not a physician and shouldn't be advising you. Any time you can use diet rather than drugs I'm sure it is best. 

Paulette

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, Allan. For what it's worth, I've been taking the lowest dose of a statin for probably 20 years. No issues with it. When a friend and I were being treated for cancer we decided to just stop reading the "possible side effects". They always sound very, very dire. Mind you I am not a physician and shouldn't be advising you. Any time you can use diet rather than drugs I'm sure it is best. 

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. My neighbour has been taking his 20mg for three years with no problems.

Yes I would prefer to get it under control using an improved diet and more exercise.

Allan

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Mine fell from within my bicycle pannier, which I had failed to fasten securely. Getting older but not much wiser !

Brian, My RX100 my vi has been back to the repair shop twice since May after being dropped on two separate occasions. The first repair required a complete new lens assembly and the second repair was a new pop up viewfinder and EVF. Both repairs cost the same price in the region of £320. 

I can’t remember the name of the place I used but they were very good. I gave up on Sony Repair Centre after they were slow to respond to emails and never answered their phones

We’re on holiday at the moment so I can’t go and look up who I used

Edit - I just checked our banking app. It was a company called Camera Repair Direct

Edited by Steve Hyde

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

My experience with statins didn’t go well. Within a week it caused incredible muscle & joint pain. I take flush-free Niacin morning and night at the suggestion of my doctor. This was 20 years ago, and I’m still here. My sister could only stand a half dose of her statin. My other sister? It doesn’t bother her at all. Weird, yes?

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Hi Harry,

I’ve used the Fuji repair centre several times and found them to be very good. As you say it’s a fixed repair price for cameras and lenses. With all these repairs It sounds like I’m clumsy with my cameras, but I’m not. All my Fuji repairs have been for well known faults. My XT2 had a sticking shutter button, I’ve read they replace the top plate for that. Not sure if they did with mine. The XPro2 blew a fuse on the main circuit board. Both repairs were just under £200. A lot of money for a fuse but there you go. I think it’s quite a time consuming job from a You Tube video I’ve since watched in relation to replacing it yourself. Having watched that I’d still send it in rather than try it myself. 

I’ve just returned my XF60mm macro lens to them as the aperture ring wasn’t working properly. The aperture jumped from f5.6 to f11 once I scrolled it past the f5.6 marker. Apparently a well documented problem with that lens. I paid Fuji £90 for the lens repair. The sent me a box via DPD. I boxed up the lens, took it to the local Post Office and had to pay £8.30 for special delivery back to Fuji. That was last Tuesday and DPD have delivered the fixed lens back today.

• Alamy locked this topic