Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Heard about the shooting in NS too. Very sad but good to hear that Trudeau took some action.  Yes, we never get weather reports about Canada unless something very extreme happens.  Of course we have our weather forecasters saying something like, "There is a strong cold front coming from Canada this weekend" , so people think that Canada just produces cold air and sends it our way.  I was once on PEI and the tourism woman was incensed that Americans have this impression that Canada is cold all year long.  She said that it never fails that American tourists would arrive in PEI, in July,  with parkas in hand.

We visited relatives in eastern Canada some years ago arriving late September, and came equipped with heavy coats and winter clothes, but we had to go out and buy lightweight stuff as the weather was beautiful! I was surprised to learn that agriculture and, in particular, viticulture, were important industries, with hot summers to compensate for the cold winters. I note that the UK press described the Canadian climate as brutal, when Harry and Meghan were heading out there, but I have to say that we greatly enjoyed our stay,  encountering warm sunshine, generous hospitality and glorious scenery.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

As our trip to Tenerife in April was cancelled I would like to see your images! Still waiting for a refund from Ryanair.......

Most are in these galleries on my website:

https://www.philcrean.com/costa_adeje_lockdown

https://www.philcrean.com/lockdown_days

https://www.philcrean.com/covid_stories

Ryanair are not doing themselves any favours in how they're dealing with customers throughout this crisis. It seems that they're holding on to peoples money as long as possible and trying to pass off credit notes towards future flights instead of giving refunds.

Tenerife, along with the rest of Spain, has closed it's borders to almost all international traffic and I don't expect it to re-open until July at the earliest. 

The effect on our economy is massive, and there is a lot of worried people wondering how the tourist industry is going to reorganise. I think this story is going to carry on for a long time.

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Most are in these galleries on my website:

https://www.philcrean.com/costa_adeje_lockdown

https://www.philcrean.com/lockdown_days

https://www.philcrean.com/covid_stories

Ryanair are not doing themselves any favours in how they're dealing with customers throughout this crisis. It seems that they're holding on to peoples money as long as possible and trying to pass off credit notes towards future flights instead of giving refunds.

Tenerife, along with the rest of Spain, has closed it's borders to almost all international traffic and I don't expect it to re-open until July at the earliest. 

The effect on our economy is massive, and there is a lot of worried people wondering how the tourist industry is going to reorganise. I think this story is going to carry on for a long time.

Phil

I’ve raised the issue with my credit card provider so hopefully I will get the refund in a month or two...

Can’t see us visiting Tenerife again for some time sadly. 🙁

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Heard about the shooting in NS too. Very sad but good to hear that Trudeau took some action.  Yes, we never get weather reports about Canada unless something very extreme happens.  Of course we have our weather forecasters saying something like, "There is a strong cold front coming from Canada this weekend" , so people think that Canada just produces cold air and sends it our way.  I was once on PEI and the tourism woman was incensed that Americans have this impression that Canada is cold all year long.  She said that it never fails that American tourists would arrive in PEI, in July,  with parkas in hand.

I have a friend originally from Montreal who now lives in Texas. He says that the only time that he hears anything about Canada is when "cold Canadian air" is on the way. In Vancouver, we shovel rain for most of the winter and our igloos resemble wading pools. 🚣‍♂️

• Love 2

I have not touched my cameras in over 8 weeks...

I've been focused on home improvement projects and learning about computer networks and network security.

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel... or it could be an oncoming train? 

God Bless,

• Like 2

Weather here usually says “Polar air”. Not often do I  hear Canadian cold front. Possibly because I’m a weather nut. If I hear “Canadian cold front, then I’m very aware it swept across Canada from the north. These fronts move southerly. I know they don’t originate in Canada.

As far as Canadian weather goes, I never hear about it. Our weather people have a couple of minutes to tell ours and can’t even cover it as thoroughly as they should as far as I’m concerned, let alone another country’s. They tend to quickly tell what’s happening or going to happen in our state, and many times if we want to take a trip to another state, we have to go to the “weather channel” to get a broader outlook.

One thing I’ve discovered...Kansas weather coverage stinks compared to Oklahoma where I used to live. Oklahoma is home to the prestigious National Weather Service. Then each television broadcasting station competes with each other to have the latest greatest Doppler radar.

I think Kansas gets the rejects from Oklahoma’s 10 year-old radar systems, then keep them around another 10 years. (Seems like) In tornado alley, it makes a difference. Here, it takes 8 minutes for the radar to make a sweep. Oklahoma’s is instantaneous. Sometimes a difference of life and death if a tornado suddenly drops from the sky a few miles away. Your house and you with it could be gone in 8 minutes.
Rant over. 😊

Betty

On 17/05/2020 at 00:53, Sally R said:

I think that's probably true for most people across the world, whether in the US or here in Australia or elsewhere. I haven't read the theory about it, but I'm guessing the words we use such as shooting or talking about the shutter firing etc, relate to word origins that are found in other terminologies. We might say that a car backfired or a motorcycle was shooting past us on the freeway, and we know what people mean because the context tells us.

Here there is a photography workshop business attached to a leading camera retailer called Shoot Photography Workshops. I have never had any association in my mind between this and anything to do with guns. It is only on reflection as a result of reading this thread that I'm thinking about it. But I do find it interesting thinking about how going out and taking photos might have similarities to what it is like hunting and gathering, where we use all our senses to sense what is around us and notice fine details in the landscape. For example, in spring I am always out photographing wildflowers, which to me feels like a form of gathering (that gets stored first on my camera and then my computer). So going way back before guns were invented, photography perhaps shares some of the perceptual skills and orientations that are used to subsist in an environment.

I probably think like this because I do so much of my photography out in nature, and I'm always noticing the seasons, the angle of light, what the clouds are doing and what shapes they are, whether it is windy or not, which birds, animals and insects are active, and so on. All of those things affect my decisions and orientation to my environment, and I think I extend this to doing photography in human-built environments as well.

Huntering and gathering is a very apt metaphor for what we do. At least I feel so with the style of photographing I like best. Which is always a QUEST.

• Like 1

Today in the Liverpool Echo, they warned that the hottest day of the year could hit town this week. It might be 22C. That's 72F. LOL! That's the local idea of hot. And in winter it rarely dips below freezing. I've been here for over 10 months now and it's never been cold or hot. 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Today in the Liverpool Echo, they warned that the hottest day of the year could hit town this week. It might be 22C. That's 72F. LOL! That's the local idea of hot. And in winter it rarely dips below freezing. I've been here for over 10 months now and it's never been cold or hot. 

Sounds pretty ideal to me!

• Love 2

During the month of April I was supposed to be in New York City, visiting my youngest daughter and taking pictures of urban life. From there I was flying to Northern Arizona and Colorado to spend two weeks with my son and his family. I would have had a multitude of photo opportunities on those trips. Instead, my daughter has come to live with me, and the few photos I’ve taken recently have been of birds, flowers, alligators, and covid signs seen along our "socially distanced" walks. I’ve also tried taking pics of little creatures like bees and dragonflies, but have nothing upload-worthy at this point. 

On 19/05/2020 at 02:02, Sally R said:

Thanks Kristin, yes it is a QUEST for me too. It is interesting that you have a background in filmmaking. I imagine that is helpful in seeing and telling stories through images that can translate to photography.

I guess so, but telling a story with a single image is very different than telling one with multiple images. The concept of mise-en-scene translates. Which is considering everything in the frame as a whole - the set, colors, context, art direction etc. I find the most helpful skills I learned in film school come from what I learned in cinematography class about light. Yes, "painting with light" was a term thrown around. 😁

Definitely shooting much less and have started taking pics of flowers and the like, quite unsuccessfully as I do not have a macro lens! The good news is that I hit my 1000 Alamy sale today. Average price per snap a very decent, IMO, $26! 🙂

• Love 5
  • Like 2

On 20/05/2020 at 20:52, Cecile Marion said:

During the month of April I was supposed to be in New York City, visiting my youngest daughter and taking pictures of urban life. From there I was flying to Northern Arizona and Colorado to spend two weeks with my son and his family. I would have had a multitude of photo opportunities on those trips. Instead, my daughter has come to live with me, and the few photos I’ve taken recently have been of birds, flowers, alligators, and covid signs seen along our "socially distanced" walks. I’ve also tried taking pics of little creatures like bees and dragonflies, but have nothing upload-worthy at this point. 

Took a peek, and like what I see!  You’re doing just fine finding subjects. Particularly love the flowers.  

Funny how spelling mistakes can slip in. I typed “peak”. Looked at it and realized it should be peek. If I hadn’t stopped and looked at it again, it would have embarrassingly slipped by me. It’s not that we all don’t know the difference...peek, peak, your, you’re, they’re, their, and all the other words that sound alike, but sometimes inattention lets one down.

So..if you see me make mistakes in the future, it’s not that I don’t know better, but that I had a disconnect from my brain. 😊

Betty

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Jansos said:

Definitely shooting much less and have started taking pics of flowers and the like, quite unsuccessfully as I do not have a macro lens! The good news is that I hit my 1000 Alamy sale today. Average price per snap a very decent, IMO, $26! 🙂

I've been using an enlarging lens and bellows. Tricky to use but serviceable- nowadays the terrible flare can be sorted out in Lightroom. There are a few on the nature pix thread but I'll put one here...a tomato. B/W mix changed (quite a bit) in LR.

DSC00778.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Took a peek, and like what I see!  You’re doing just fine finding subjects. Particularly love the flowers.  

Betty

Thanks, Betty. You must mean the dahlias, taken last fall in Paris. I’d already uploaded some earlier, but decided to load pics more once we went into "stay at home" mode. They were fun to photograph, though I don’t have high hopes for sales. 

I have been just catching up on processing past Photo Shoots 😀 so has been a very  productive time for me, and i still have more to do which is a good thing..I managed a few good stock shoots before the lockdown and got some good wildlife pics at a regional zoo, so added some more variety to my folio...Birds, Animals, etc...I also balance my retirement time with gold prospecting and managed a nice find so sold the nugget and got myself a fast sharp F2.8 /300mm tele and a couple of converters 1.4 and 2x so effectively giving me a 300mm / 420mm and 600mm..

During our lockdown exercise time walking around Lake Wendouree here in Ballarat, i of course took the 300mm for a spin 😀 and there was plenty of ducks / swamp hens / swans / and other assorted birdlife...( got some nice people shots too of people just exercising and just chilling out beside the lake ) I am very pleased with the results ( shooting wide open at f2.8 and having that extra reach to pull in tight on timid birdlife) and will continue to capture more wildlife etc..I always wanted a fast long tele so have a lot more subject matter to tackle in future with it...

Like many of us here i am just looking forward to better times...so we have to just do the best we can, and enjoy our photographic opportunities  when we can... 

Keep shooting / snapping / clicking / making pics that sell....

Edited by William Caram
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

Much less. Reassessing since my doctor told me that she thinks it won't be safe for me to be out and about until there's a vaccine, so even when the NY metro area opens up, I'm stuck. 

In March and early April when NY on "Pause" started, I took some local Covid signs, people out hiking, but now I'm confined to walking around my suburban neighborhood since the hiking trails near us, usually nearly empty, are packed with people not always able to keep their distance, and the parking lots are often full as they are down to half. I'd take my camera on my daily walks and get some spring buds on the trees but there really wasn't anything that seemed of interest to buyers. The streets are generally no different than over the past 22 years.

I got my lilacs and azaleas blooming, but any additional flower photos will have to wait until summer when the seeds I plan to plant in a week or so begin to bloom. If I am truly to be confined for many more months, I felt the garden I have been planning would help keep me sane and give me something to shoot (I hate guns but don't think of them when I speak of a photo shoot). I would have been in Western Massachusetts this weekend for my 40th College Reunion, and had hoped to license images to the college publication, and then off to Cape Cod for off-season photos, fewer crowds (LOL) - spring and fall visits there every few years really add to my portfolio and I find I can make back the cost of the trip in no time. I live far from the beach but nautical images have been my bread and butter as far as stock is concerned, both through agencies, direct licenses, and they even account for many of my fine art sales, so being confined to my suburban home (don't get me wrong I am so grateful I have a home and yard and neighborhood to walk around) means I have to rethink things. Obviously I can't take on assignments either, which dried up with the onset of the pandemic, so I'm reassessing my career, looking for alternatives to make income and to keep myself busy until I can travel again. 

• Like 1

It will be some time before I can travel into London again and everything is as back to normal as it ever will be, plus I'll need to be vaccinated against the coronavirus for it to be safe for me. I am working on finishing off a few projects in my area, and spent a few hours today photographing local stores that are closed and may not open again. The same for some pubs and restaurants too. Today received a letter informing me I hadn't contracted the Coronavirus, something I was well aware of. The letter was a follow on from taking part in a survey to determine the extent of Coronavirus infections in the UK, and taking the home test kit nasal and throat swabs to be couriered to a lab. As a bonus photographing the kit and uploading to my port added to the COVID-19 / NHS related images. If anyone reading this has to swab their nose and throat it's very straight forward. No issues with the throat, but the nasal swab was a little uncomfortable, plus wanted to make me sneeze and eyes would run. Still shooting far less than pre lockdown.

Edited by sb photos
  • Thanks 1

Photographing quite a bit more.

The vast majority of my work here on Alamy has been taken whilst out and about with my driving work. Currently doing mostly van work, 5 - 8 deliveries a day. Next week trips to south Wales, Humberside, Herefordshire, and Cornwall (all UK). So I shall probably find places to have a quick wander and take stock !

My driving duties sees me travelling across continental Europe at times, and even to the USA and Canada. So I'm quite lucky in a way.

As the lockdown restrictions in the UK are eased, I have noticed that the roadside littering is starting to appear again, from the customers of McDonald's, Costa Coffee etc., that are slowly reopening up again.. 😠

Perhaps the same, but it's almost exclusively editorial now because I have been picking up weekly freelance gigs photographing protests, and before that I was asked to film some some community spirit stories. Even if it wasn't frowned upon, my local parks are too crowded to go looking for my usual birdies and things.

Edited by PuffinsPictures