Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

I try to walk 10 000 steps each day. Before covid I did it mostly by walking to my workplace and back. Nowadays I work remotely and gain my steps after working hours and I usually take my camera with me. So I've been shooting more during couple of last months. I usually regret if I leave the camera home, there is always something interesting and worth photographing going on - even in Helsinki. 

However my working positions at home are really unergonomic and my upper back has been aching for weeks now, so I'm trying live with the fact that I can't bring the camera with me all the time. 

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa

2 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Shooting less now. Bored taking pics of people in masks, empty beaches, closed shop etc. 

Sad state of affairs this virus has created. 

Same here, although I haven't really put much effort into it.

A sad situation indeed, and unfortunately I think that things will get worse before they get better. Keeping the lid on the spread of the virus is going to get increasingly difficult. But that's depressing...

Edited by John Mitchell

3 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I try to walk 10 000 steps each day. Before covid I did it mostly by walking to my workplace and back. Nowadays I work remotely and gain my steps after working hours and I usually take my camera with me. So I've been shooting more during couple of last months. I usually regret if I leave the camera home, there is always something interesting and worth photographing going on - even in Helsinki. 

However my working positions at home are really unergonomic and my upper back has been aching for weeks now, so I'm trying live with the fact that I can't bring the camera with me all the time. 

Time for a pocket Sony RX100, Jani.

4 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Spend the money and save your only back. 🙂

Sounds like JaniMarkus needs to deal with his home work area first though. Not saying he should not get an RX100 but that won’t cure his back. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Time for a pocket Sony RX100, Jani.

Once the true extent of the Coronavirus started to become known, along with the likelyhood of its financial implications, I wondered if I should have spent so much on the RX100 VII. At that time it was just being despatched from Hong Kong, a grey import purchase. After it eventually arrived I'm glad I did buy it, it's getting more and more use, just need to work within its limitations. Today I took out my shoulder bag, 2 x D750's, 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300 lenses, walking 7.9km. Was filling in gaps re earlier shoots for a few series of images. By the time I got home in the heat, carrying 2 bags of shopping from Morrison's and my shoulder bag I wish I had just taken the RX100. A wonderful little camera.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Once the true extent of the Coronavirus started to become known, along with the likelyhood of its financial implications, I wondered if I should have spent so much on the RX100 VII. At that time it was just being despatched from Hong Kong, a grey import purchase. After it eventually arrived I'm glad I did buy it, it's getting more and more use, just need to work within its limitations. Today I took out my shoulder bag, 2 x D750's, 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300 lenses, walking 7.9km. Was filling in gaps re earlier shoots for a few series of images. By the time I got home in the heat, carrying 2 bags of shopping from Morrison's and my shoulder bag I wish I had just taken the RX100. A wonderful little camera.

After hearing all the positive comments, an RX100 is on my wish list, but I can't afford any new stuff at the moment. Fortunately, my smallish Sony a6000 plus a lens or two easily fit into a small camera bag, which is light enough not to bother my back. It would be nice to have something ultra-compact, though. I think that I'd have to use a wheelbarrow for the Nikon kit that you mentioned. They might have to carry me home on a stretcher if shopping bags were involved as well. 😩

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

After hearing all the positive comments, an RX100 is on my wish list, but I can't afford any new stuff at the moment. Fortunately, my smallish Sony a6000 plus a lens or two easily fit into a small camera bag, which is light enough not to bother my back. It would be nice to have something ultra-compact, though. I think that I'd have to use a wheelbarrow for the Nikon kit that you mentioned. They might have to carry me home on a stretcher if shopping bags were involved as well. 😩

Once I left Morrison's with the shopping, which included 6 bottles of beer and cider, it was only about a miles walk home. I did stop a few times in what shade I could find, only pure determination got me home without phoning my wife for a lift.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Once I left Morrison's with the shopping, which included 6 bottles of beer and cider, it was only about a miles walk home. I did stop a few times in what shade I could find, only pure determination got me home without phoning my wife for a lift.

If that had been me the first question when I walked through the door would have been "Why did you bring all these empty bottles home?".

Stay safe...;-)

Edited by Mr Standfast
Typo

I hope all my mates here on the forum are staying safe and well. I'm trying to.

MDM and his wife have had the virus. Thank God they are now recovering. But remember: this pandemic is a killer, nothing to ignore. At 85, I don't expect to waltz through the next decade. In fact, I don't know how I've made it this far. But be warned: I intend to fight everyday to keep it from being it my last.

We're all in this together, right? 

Edo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I hope all my mates here on the forum are staying safe and well. I'm trying to.

MDM and his wife have had the virus. Thank God they are now recovering. But remember: this pandemic is a killer, nothing to ignore. At 85, I don't expect to waltz through the next decade. In fact, I don't know how I've made it this far. But be warned: I intend to fight everyday to keep it from being it my last.

We're all in this together, right? 

Edo

Yes, the pandemic is no joke. I'm not very optimistic about the whole thing at the moment. However, I think that "we're all in it together" is the most important message out there. It is what might eventually get us through all of this if enough people listen (and act).

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure you'll continue to out-waltz most of us.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My name is not Dominic, and that is a political remark. Delete it now!

More of a public health comment, but it's an understandable answer to the question "are we in this together?" and intensely relevant to it.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

They'll be up to RX100 CCVII by then. 😁

And MkI will still be for sale. That is a unique thing about these cameras. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

And MkI will still be for sale. That is a unique thing about these cameras. 

Hopefully I'll be able to afford at least the MkII by then. 😊

It is unusual these days to see a camera manufacturer keeping older models on the market. It's probably a smart move on Sony's part.

Edited by John Mitchell