Are You Shooting More or Less in the Lockdown?

Hey Ed,

Don't ask me how, but I somehow managed to end up with my wife and child in Austria and me back in the UK due to Coronavirus #megafacepalm!

So apart from working at home, I actually find myself with lots of free time relatively speaking and apart from guitar, I'm doing a lot of photography.

I just randomly discovered a PDF from the local council of all the public art in Basingstoke so I've been making may way round town when the weather's good. And it has been very good during lockdown, kind of rubbing it in our faces! Otherwise, doing some found photography....

a-life-sized-bronze-figure-of-jane-auste

sailing-by-stars-is-a-bronze-sculpture-b

Had a go at panoramas for the first time:

an-aerial-panorama-view-across-basingsto

Found photography (kind of!)

online-shoe-shopping-and-ordering-and-a-

unboxing-a-honeywell-upright-fan-in-a-ki

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

less.  i'm sheltered in residential east end of Montreal, so not many story, it has been extremely cold spring so far, buds are just coming out on trees... and there is a limit to rainbow images....     finally got my first out of ordinary happening last day with this:

2BMGM4M.jpg

I'm certainly shooting less, as I usually photographed in London, March 7th was the last time. I had caught a train into town and travelled on the tube, there were passengers coughing without covering their mouths and the tube was packed solid. Soon after it would have been too risky for me. Currently I've a backlog of images to caption, tag and upload, all shot on exercise walks. 

Actually, the new COVID-19 world has put me in something of an existential quandary. I feel that I'm going to have to totally reassess what I've been doing photographically. Not sure where to go from here...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3

Definitely shooting less but that is because I shoot a fair amount for regional magazines and businesses and that has all but dried up. I do have a few shoots coming thru but nothing like my old schedule.  I am shooting some stock but not more than I have usually done. 

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

less.  i'm sheltered in residential east end of Montreal, so not many story, it has been extremely cold spring so far, buds are just coming out on trees... and there is a limit to rainbow images....     finally got my first out of ordinary happening last day with this:

2BMGM4M.jpg

What are they doing exactly? The scene looks a bit sinister.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Actually, the new COVID-19 world has put me in something of an existential quandary. I feel that I'm going to have to totally reassess what I've been doing photographically. Not sure where to go from here...

same here.  i can't see myself hitting the nomad road again..... so now figuring out where i want to crash. once i can move,  for 6 months to figure out next stage

26 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

putting out a fire with the big hose 🙂 

I figured it was something like that. When I was a kid living on the South Shore (it was very rural back then), people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

Sadly, it's an Australian thing too.

32 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

same here.  i can't see myself hitting the nomad road again..... so now figuring out where i want to crash. once i can move,  for 6 months to figure out next stage

I'm a Grey Nomad right now, domestically that is. Fortunately, due to the size of Australia, it means that I could be travelling around forever and still see new places, but as far as future international travels is concerned, a have a horrible feeling that more than one destination on my bucket list will just remain there, on my dream list.

• Love 2

48 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I figured it was something like that. When I was a kid living on the South Shore (it was very rural back then), people were always starting fires in the woods. It must be a Quebec thing

yeah, it's a nice wooden area behind Hopital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, so core Montreal east -end.  At least 3 spots where people have done fires to hang out and drink beer.  probably worse this year (though my sister it was still an issue last year)

40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I'm a Grey Nomad right now, domestically that is. Fortunately, due to the size of Australia, it means that I could be travelling around forever and still see new places, but as far as future international travels is concerned, a have a horrible feeling that more than one destination on my bucket list will just remain there, on my dream list.

yeah, i'm likely going to be semi-nomadic in Canada, going 4-6 months per places....  though i am weary of winters, i haven't had a full one in 6 years.   

58 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

yeah, i'm likely going to be semi-nomadic in Canada, going 4-6 months per places....  though i am weary of winters, i haven't had a full one in 6 years.   

Life could be challenging for you nomads for quite some time, at least until there is an effective vaccine available (assuming that there will be one). We're lucky in countries like Canada and Australia. We have small populations and good healthcare systems, so the chances that everyone will eventually get vaccinated are fairly good. Third world countries are another story, though. But I digress as usual. 🙃

Sometimes shooting less is more...

• Love 1

I'm shooting about the same amount but struggling for material with the absence of people out and about and all the shops and malls closed. They've even closed down the beaches here , leaving the place like a ghost town. We still have our street markets but frankly social distancing in those places is impossible and as such they now scare me. 

And everyone wearing a face mask in what is regarded as The Land of Smiles! 

Edited by ReeRay
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

I'm shooting about the same amount but struggling for material with the absence of people out and about and all the shops and malls closed. They've even closed down the beaches here , leaving the place like a ghost town. We still have our street markets but frankly social distancing in those places is impossible and as such they now scare me. 

And everyone wearing a face mask in what is regarded as The Land of Smiles! 

We're all living in "The Land of Masks" now.

I was supposed have spent 3 weeks in Portugal and Spain cycling from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela in April and would have come home with a few thousand photos but all cancelled so have occasionally wandered around my home town of Perth and taking some photos but nowhere near the amount when I go on holidays.

Edited by domf