Self-isolation Activities

Alpaca poo is best! Seems far less weed. I do like a fresh little carrot plucked when perhaps 4 inches, no cooking needed. Pots sound a good idea. I could try some rocket that way as they get devoured by little flies as well. Snuggled up near the chive forest in the herb patch perhaps. I'm told they don't like the smell of anything like onions. Yes growing corvettes, mine were yellow last year!

Edited by Robert M Estall

On 13/04/2020 at 23:32, Marianne said:

So jealous. The guys that cut our grass decided to help out and cut my wisteria back. It had taken 5 years to bloom and was amazing. My husband and I had even built a trellis for it using bent wood branches that had fallen in our yard. The guys cut it back in the fall without asking me  - that was 4 years ago and it hasn't bloomed since. Wisteria is my absolute favorite.

A few years ago my mother-in-law was 'helpful' in the garden. She decided to cut off all of the rhubarb leaves that she thought were bad because they had holes in them.. that was all of the rhubarb leaves so we now no longer have rhubarb!

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

A few years ago my mother-in-law was 'helpful' in the garden. She decided to cut off all of the rhubarb leaves that she thought were bad because they had holes in them.. that was all of the rhubarb leaves so we now no longer have rhubarb!

She may be related to my partner, she has the same effect on plants as Roundup 🙂 Let her loose with a weeding trowel and nothing is safe. Once decimated a whole bed of  mixed herbs i had just planted convinced they were weeds.

First gardener mowed down my sage and basil. I only ever grew snapdragons and zinnias as a kid helping my grandmother out in her garden and helping harvest the figs before the birds got them. My grandmother had an amazing garden, roses climbing up the side of the house. Lilac trees you could play hide and seek in. I did not inherit her green thumb but have never mistaken a plant for a weed. We've had our best luck with trees, lilacs and Japanese maples we planted over 20 years ago - and I've grown 8-10-foot tall sunflowers, but between a bad back after a series of accidents and frustration with deer, rabbits and squirrels, this will be my first attempt at gardening in some time. 

My husband transplanted these from a seedlings in a neighbor's garden. We have another in the side yard. I can't seem to find any photos of the lilacs. Hmmm, surprised but I'll have to upload some. Tons of these and our other Japanese maples. This one was in two calendars a couple years back. 

colorful-gold-yellow-orange-and-red-japanese-maple-trees-with-fall-EAJ72M.jpg

Colorful bright red and orange Japanese maple leaves on trees (Acer palmatum) and scattered on the grass on an autumn day with a child’s tire swing in Stock Photo

I put this in the "nice thing done today" thread, but last evening I got rid of a lot of dry cuttings. The bonfire went up in no time- no smoke to bother anyone! Very satisfying. The council have cancelled the green waste collection and closed the tip, but no-one told the plants to stop growing;)

A group of photographers in my 'home town' (if there is such a thing) uploads raw files to a private FB page. The game is to edit it the way we like, be as creative as we like or not. Results are amazing. It's a lot of fun. It makes me realize how much I'm used to editing for the editorial market, which is anything but creative. 

• Love 2

15 minutes ago, gvallee said:

A group of photographers in my 'home town' (if there is such a thing) uploads raw files to a private FB page. The game is to edit it the way we like, be as creative as we like or not. Results are amazing. It's a lot of fun. It makes me realize how much I'm used to editing for the editorial market, which is anything but creative. 

While I was out for my walk this morning I decided to take some images to try to turn into artwork/creative just for fun.

Allan

• Love 1

Just now, spacecadet said:

I've actually had a wildfire. See above.

Yes! Saw that post. You are lucky I don't have enough room in the garden where I am just now to have a fire with out burning the neighbours fence down.😃

Allan

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes! Saw that post. You are lucky I don't have enough room in the garden where I am just now to have a fire with out burning the neighbours fence down.😃

Allan

We do usually use a small brazier- limits the heat to a couple of feet- but there was just too much piling up.

I may be spending too much time on non productive activities during the lockdown.  Counting out the cucumber slices for our lunchtime ham salad sandwiches I found myself going 8, 9, 10 Jack, Queen, King.....

....Spider solitaire I curse you.

• Love 1

On 15/04/2020 at 13:40, aphperspective said:

She may be related to my partner, she has the same effect on plants as Roundup 🙂 Let her loose with a weeding trowel and nothing is safe. Once decimated a whole bed of  mixed herbs i had just planted convinced they were weeds.

My Mrs loves to prune the plants, you can see them cowering as she enters the garden. In fairness things have improved over the years and, if left to me, it probably wouldn't get done as rigourously. However there was the occasion where a fellow gardener heeled in a couple of gooseberry plants, on our allotment, which mysteriously disappeared - only to be found later on the compost heap. They survived that ordeal, and have borne fruit ever since, no doubt in fear of the consequences should they lapse.

Mature woman pruning an apple tree in an allotment  at winter time. - Stock Image

Then there was the episode relating to our lovely Egremont Russet apple tree. For a couple of years it produced a mediocre crop, so she decided that it should be purged from the garden. Fortunately I was able restrain her hand, and it was given a stay of execution. I sprayed the tree with Jeyes Fluid (illegal now) to kill the bugs and gave it a good meal of blood fish and bone, and, low and behold, a completely revived specimen. 

Malus domestica Egremont Russet, flowering in a suburban garden, north east England, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Bryan

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Earlier today on BBC4, I heard a long segment with two women discussing allotments. I feel so out of it. 🙁

I wasn't familiar with the term "allotments" either. I guess they are similar to what are usually called "community gardens" in these parts.

Oh, I know what an allotment is. I also think there might be a sign posted on some of them that warn "if Ed Rooney should attempt to enter this allotment area, alert the authorities."  

That's very informative, Ian. Thanks

Edited by Ed Rooney