Self-isolation Activities

Went for a walk a couple of days ago (and, as a byproduct, secured a single possible stock photo). All was well for most of the way, sensible folk keeping beyond the 2 m limit, but then we had to cross a narrow footbridge. When halfway over a young woman and child entered the bridge in the opposite direction, making social distancing impossible. With the benefit of hindsight we should perhaps have asked her to stay back until we had crossed, or turned and walked back until she was gone, but, trapped,  we just plodded on.

Sadly some folk just don't get it!

• Love 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Especially young joggers who have no sense of my mortality either!  

And cyclists.

Allan

• Love 1

Cyclists in Amsterdam own the city and feel they own the world. They move like bats out of hell and it's so easy to accidentally step into a bike path. I had a bike in NYC for a while but fumes from cars were hard to deal with. 

Is this Amsterdam couple following safety rules? Are there any safety rules?

AB33CJ.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Cyclists in Amsterdam own the city and feel they own the world. They move like bats out of hell and it's so easy to accidentally step into a bike path. I had a bike in NYC for a while but fumes from cars were hard to deal with. 

AB33CJ.jpg

Here the proviso appears to be if from same household you can exercise together. If out cycling if they act reasonably people can avoid getting too near, its the hell bent on fast speedo lot I d be more inclined to worry about. 

Having said that while out walking last week, one almost ran into me narrowly avoiding collision by coming at speed from behind. He did not even have the good sense to warn he was oncoming. That could have ended badly, I'm sure glad it didnt. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

AB33CJ.jpg

Law enforcement in all countries don't have the resources to challenge cyclists these days. On my last trip to Amsterdam I was run down on a pavement, ended up tangled up with the cyclist and her bike. Locally more cyclists of all ages are riding on the pavements and are a hazard, older ones would be quite safe on the roads as there is so little traffic during lock down. I haven't been on my bike for years, an old Holdsworthy DB 531 frame and forks touring bike. It needs a quick service and new tyres and inner tubes, it's on the list of things to get around to. I used to cycle a lot, did the London to Brighton ride and back quite a few times, I miss that. Too old for that now. I remember the CTC membership gave you insurance, can't remember how much it was for though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R De Marigny said:

I might pop online and order one of those replica medieval knights visors  🤣

Maybe one of those big swords Charlton Heston's using in "El Cid" when he says "To whom does Calahorra belong?"

Or a lance.

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Maybe one of those big swords Charlton Heston's using in "El Cid" when he says "To whom does Calahorra belong?"

Or a lance.

The lance might come in handy if a breakage to my camera occurred yes. 

Broken bones I could deal with but damage to camera equipment..thats one from the scene in Stepbrothers and don't mess with the drums

🤣🤣

• Like 1

I've already commented about the situation on the coast to coast path that passes nearby. As a Sustrans Ranger I help maintain this route.

Social media is full of angry folk denouncing others and their temerity to exist. It requires consideration by all users, and they all have a right to be there - except perhaps those who chose to allow their dogs to freely roam, it's a path intended to get people from A to B not a dog exercise field.  Dogs are welcome, but only on a short lead!   I'm a keen cyclist and have been for years, but it dismays me seeing people on bikes riding far too fast when passing pedestrians and not giving any warning of their approach. Some people appear to feel that a bike bell is uncool, but that is just stupidity.  In normal times this route is used by cycle commuters as a safe alternative to the road while getting to and fro to work, and I can understand their frustration at having to slow down in order to weave past hordes of walkers and joggers etc, but we all need to use a bit of common sense and share the facility at this time. So keep left, let people past, cyclists slow down and use a bell, dogs on short leads and please, NO headphones.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I've already commented about the situation on the coast to coast path that passes nearby. As a Sustrans Ranger I help maintain this route.

Social media is full of angry folk denouncing others and their temerity to exist. It requires consideration by all users, and they all have a right to be there - except perhaps those who chose to allow their dogs to freely roam, it's a path intended to get people from A to B not a dog exercise field.  Dogs are welcome, but only on a short lead!   I'm a keen cyclist and have been for years, but it dismays me seeing people on bikes riding far too fast when passing pedestrians and not giving any warning of their approach. Some people appear to feel that a bike bell is uncool, but that is just stupidity.  In normal times this route is used by cycle commuters as a safe alternative to the road while getting to and fro to work, and I can understand their frustration at having to slow down in order to weave past hordes of walkers and joggers etc, but we all need to use a bit of common sense and share the facility at this time. So keep left, let people past, cyclists slow down and use a bell, dogs on short leads and please, NO headphones.

I've never heard a cyclist use a bell when out cycling in Cambridge. I don't mean I am cycling in Cambridge. I am walking. They just flash past you by a few thousandths of an inch. If I decide to turn left or right, remembering that I am on the pavement, it's Good night Vienna.

I am going to fit a rear view mirror to my spectacles. Give me something to do.

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Social media is full of angry folk denouncing others and their temerity to exist. 

Our mayor is now encouraging people to take pictures of people not obeying the "rules". Ouch. I was out this morning and a lot of people are not wearing masks even though it is supposed to be the "law." Good luck with that. New Yorkers are about as good at following rules as cowboys are. Have I ventured into politics? Oh oh. Please don't reply to this. I love New Yorkers and cowboys and I love people who hate New Yorkers and disapprove of cowboys. Am I OK now???

Paulette

• Love 1

Speaking of cyclists lack of manners my brother was parked beside a fairly narrow footpath and saw this particular pond life belting towards him on the pavement shouting at folk as he  went by. Brother let said cretin get level with his car then opened the door. Effect on Cyclists bike was devastating and effect on pond life was very painfull!!. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

17 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Speaking of cyclists lack of manners my brother was parked beside a fairly narrow footpath and saw this particular pond life belting towards him on the pavement shouting at folk as he  went by. Brother let said cretin get level with his car then opened the door. Effect on Cyclists bike was devastating and effect on pond life was very painfull!!. 

Well, the penalty for cycling on a footpath assuming that it wasn't shared use, might be a fine, rather than criminal assault.

I'm quite pleased your brother and I are in different countries. He sounds like a nasty piece of work..

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Been studying  for  a PFCO, (Drone Pilot: permission for Commercial Operations from the CAA ) with COPTRZ. and editing processing and  uploading images from a variety of shoots including the London Classic Car Show which was held back in February, before the lockdown started and the world was a very different place. Still have images  from other location to edit etc too!  Not that its doing me much good financially at the moment, as the market is dragging on the floor right now! But keeping busy has been a big help! 

Edited by John Gaffen

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well, the penalty for cycling on a footpath assuming that it wasn't shared use, might be a fine, rather than criminal assault.

I'm quite pleased your brother and I are in different countries. He sounds like a nasty piece of work..

My brother is not a nasty n piece of work, this was a narrow pedestrian only foot path, this youth had caused 2 young children to jump out off his way onto a main road and swore waving his fist at and elderly couple "f.... of out the way" as he went by. He like me will not tolerate bullying, if he saw (and has) seen a gang of youths jostling and laughing at an elderly lady with her shopping on the high street, instead of tut tutting and walking by or "somebody should call the police" which they never do, then he would intervene to help. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2020 at 05:18, Allan Bell said:

And cyclists.

Allan

i was at street intersection coming back from groceries, and this cyclist stops at red light, all good.  He is 4m away from me, so that's all fine.  At this point he starts spitting whatever mucus he decided to expectorate.  i know i was out of reach, and it was likely fine, but Seriously??????????????

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

My brother is not a nasty n piece of work, this was a narrow pedestrian only foot path, this youth had caused 2 young children to jump out off his way onto a main road and swore waving his fist at and elderly couple "f.... of out the way" as he went by. He like me will not tolerate bullying, if he saw (and has) seen a gang of youths jostling and laughing at an elderly lady with her shopping on the high street, instead of tut tutting and walking by or "somebody should call the police" which they never do, then he would intervene to help. 

Not to excuse the hooligan's conduct but do you really think the punishment fits the crime?

Cyclists are killed by careless, not even criminal, opening of car doors into their paths. What then? The thread is taking an anti-cyclist tone so how about a bit of balance.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

I well remember my first encounter with cycle lanes  in the Netherlands most of 40 years ago. I was driving my big yellow campervan so was very visible. But I really wasn't aware how the special rules worked and upset quite a few cyclists when I came to turn across their lanes. They undoubtedly had right of way but I was not prepared for the fact that they would peddle at some speed through intersections without considering that the prat in the UK camper might be a menace. I didn't have any really close calls, but I did encounter some filthy looks, nay perhaps a shaking fist. There are a LOT of cycles on those lanes! 

Mind you, The Mile End Road in London is getting pretty hairy. The cyclists tend to have lights and are increasingly wearing some hi-vis gear but there are also a lot of muslim pedestrians dressed predominantly in black who can be hard to spot for occasional visiting motorists.

• Love 1

I did see a spectacular head- on between bicycles in Amsterdam. Looked like a cartoon with both bikes doing a couple of rotations in the air. No-one appeared to be too discommoded by it, though. On the continent you really do need to play nice with the other kids when cycling. But there are some great places to do it-  in Germany you're kept out of the way of vehicles, but anyway a driver would rather drive into a wall than put out a cyclist or a pedestrian. They pull up pre-emptively to let you cross the road; sometimes it seems rude not to take the opportunity.

Edited by spacecadet